GW store coming to town

Hobbitron

23 hours ago, dalmer said:

Hello there,

Just an update, which has not been 100% vetted.

Because a Games Workshop store is set to open in Bellingham, Games Workshop exerts the following management right:

*  No distributors within a 15 mile range

Thus, Dark Tower Games and any other local store that carries GW products within this 15 mile radius will no longer be able to sell GW product.  Dark Tower can keep its current inventory but will not be allowed to order more product.

Just heard it today and figured y'all might want a "heads up."  Hasn't been vetted by me through Dark Tower Games.

Stay safe,

don

I'm not sure how they use terminology, but could there be difference between being a distributor and a retailer?  Or would they really shut down every other retailer in B'ham from selling GW? Seems counter-productive.  

I think distributors sell wholesale, right?  

Howdy peeps, it has been a long while since I have visited the forums here. 

I thought I would just add my thought on this. 

Down in my old stomping grounds of Tacoma, there was a Gw store less than 2 miles I think it was from The Game Matrix. 

I am not sure how long this has been a policy of theirs or if it was a non issue because maybe The Game Matrix purchased through a third party. 

Honestly if true I could see this hurting their future store within the gaming community. 

Hello there,

I was contacted by ANOTHER person today (different game shop owner) who said that this was probably not going to be legit.

Thank goodness for the FLGS (Dark Tower) if that's the case.  I agree with others that it would seem kind of counter-productive.

I did add the "not 100% vetted" so am glad that others chimed in with real-world examples... whew!

Stay safe,

don

I spoke with a couple of buddies in the south sound about Gw stores moving in. Tacoma seemed to have no problem with the game matrix. 

However when the store went in at the super mall in auburn the stores around it experienced a delay in getting product. Especially new release items. The Gw store would get their items for launch and FLGS's got theirs a week later.  This caused hobby towns in that area to stop carrying Gw products. 

When the now defunkt battle bunker went in it pretty much sucked all of the players from the east side of lake Washington out of local FLGS's. 

Just visited the only GW store still in my area.  Man, I just don't see the point.  The place was jammed---with  10 people.  Really hard to get around and see the stock.  I went hoping to find some typical sets and maybe one or two that I can't find anywhere else, but found nothing I was looking for.  Since the store is run  by one person, the hours are 12:30-8:00 closed on Mon and Tues.

The GW retail bean counters must know something that I don't.

So I went to the "grand opening" yesterday for the GW store. Not too impressed. Limited stock and all the "free" stuff had fine print with it, the store was tiny and the only gaming tables were covered with "look at me" models lol. Should of known from games workshop. I do hope for the best for them but I feel Bellingham already has a large community of players and new players are limited. GW would be good for newer players but with this new store I see DT absorbing the customer/player base.

I went as well. While I do not care for the layout, I felt the two gents there did a great job at making everyone feel welcome. The tables will be rearranged for regular business use. Two large game tables, two demo tables and the hobby station which are the long narrow tables. 

The event only stuff did have stipulations. I felt those were advertised along with them however. I grabbed a coffee mug and an opening day captain myself. 

I enjoyed chatting with Jonathan, who is the start up manager until they can hire a local person to run the operation. He has hosted a couple of events around town. I took my girls to his intro to building and painting which I felt was a good thing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smashthedean said:

Is it still a thing that GW stores only let you play with GW models? Also would I get in trouble for playing 9th Age there?

Well, the store it self is about the same size as DT back room, only saw one table that you could play on and it was covered with models inacting a battle, they haven't hired anyone yet to run the store and probably not with the ninth age lol

I headed over there today to pick up the Chaos Daemons Codex since Dark Tower had been out of stock for a couple of weeks now. Very nice manager there (Justin? I believe), but a bit pushy with his product. Nice looking store and a bit bigger than I was expecting on the inside based on the above descriptions. Something I did appreciate, and I haven't seen in any other GW store, is that they have 40k novels in the back with a wide variety of topics. Something to consider looking at if any of you are ever interested in the expanded universe. I'll probably still buy my stuff at Dark Tower, but it's a good second option if Dark Tower is out of something and I want to use some new models for next week's game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I recently met Johnathon the "Drop pod manager" as they call him. Cool dude, but like all GW employees, he was a little pushy with the product. I was dying inside when he asked me if I had any interest in AoS and I had to bite my tongue because I recently applied to the manager job. Speaking of that I had my interview last Friday about it. I discussed with my interviewer about local competition and store space. They said they wouldn't take anything from DT, i.e stop restocking their stuff because DT itself is a customer. On the topic of store space they said they couldn't add any more tables because of safety regulations, which sounded odd to me even with their reasoning. I feel no matter who gets the job they're going to have a difficult time with it. Location and getting the community in there aside, it's an entire store of GW product and selling that alone is a challenge. 

I stopped into DT yesterday to pick up some painting supplies.  While selecting my paints I overheard Nathaniel speaking to a customer about the new GW store.  According to this customer, when he plays at the new GW store one of the GW employees scrutinizes the customer's models and if the employee spots a model on the table that he hasn't sold the customer, the employee gives him a bad time about it.  WTF? 

3 hours ago, Koyote said:

I stopped into DT yesterday to pick up some painting supplies.  While selecting my paints I overheard Nathaniel speaking to a customer about the new GW store.  According to this customer, when he plays at the new GW store one of the GW employees scrutinizes the customer's models and if the employee spots a model on the table that he hasn't sold the customer, the employee give him a bad time about it.  WTF? 

Lol doesn't surprise me guess my admech/ Astra Militarum would give them a coronary!

4 hours ago, Koyote said:

I stopped into DT yesterday to pick up some painting supplies.  While selecting my paints I overheard Nathaniel speaking to a customer about the new GW store.  According to this customer, when he plays at the new GW store one of the GW employees scrutinizes the customer's models and if the employee spots a model on the table that he hasn't sold the customer, the employee gives him a bad time about it.  WTF? 

Sounds like jealousy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 11:45 PM, The_Rat_Catchers said:

I recently met Johnathon the "Drop pod manager" as they call him. Cool dude, but like all GW employees, he was a little pushy with the product. I was dying inside when he asked me if I had any interest in AoS and I had to bite my tongue because I recently applied to the manager job. Speaking of that I had my interview last Friday about it. I discussed with my interviewer about local competition and store space. They said they wouldn't take anything from DT, i.e stop restocking their stuff because DT itself is a customer. On the topic of store space they said they couldn't add any more tables because of safety regulations, which sounded odd to me even with their reasoning. I feel no matter who gets the job they're going to have a difficult time with it. Location and getting the community in there aside, it's an entire store of GW product and selling that alone is a challenge. 

Any further update on your interview progress?

I swung by there over the weekend and Jonathan said he was there another month. Picked up a black library book, the KAL Jericho omni bus. Intended to get the white dwarf too, dark tower wasn't getting it as soon at least that is what I was told. Turns out dark tower got it at least as quick it wasn't at the war hammer store so I got it at dark tower. 

I find it interesting that dark tower got the white dwarf at least as quick...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.