New to 8th edition.

Grensche

I feel that this edition is the best time to start playing 40k if you never have been before. With my window of involvement in the game spanning 6th to 8th edition, 8th is by far the easiest to learn and the games flow much more smoothly that in previous editions imo. Welcome to the grim dark of the 41st Millenium @Grensche and may your green tide WAAGH! on. 

• Like 2

Currently this is what I have in my possession. 

Boyz (Shootaz, Slugga & Choppa) - 80

Nobz - 20

Burna Boyz - 4

War Boss - 5

Deff Dread - 1

Ork Trukk - 1 (needs to be painted and assembled)

Deff Kopta - 5

I'm sure I'll put together a small army to learn the game and afterwards I'll plan out what I want to further build up my green tide.

20 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

To learn the game just grab the Warboss and two 30 man squads of Boyz. That's about 500 points.

Horde armies are great in this edition so bricks of Boyz and stormboyz can actually be the core of a good army.

That's a good idea, I wanted to start out something basic for when I learn the game and I think this will do very nicely. Thanks!

Afterwards is when I can start brain storming ideas of what units I want. :yourock:

On January 19, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Grensche said:

I finally grabbed a copy of 8th edition after noticing I have a decent size of Orks through out the years. I never had the chance to play 40k, let a lone 8th edition. 

What should I be expecting of 8th edition and is it fun?

8e is fun, but certain opponents will make 8e no fun for Orks. Issue is that most orks hit on 5+ and in 8e there are certain opponents who's entire army makes you -1 or more to hit, making it near impossible for orks to hit at range. Waiting on a FAQ fix, but in the mean time, you should understand the negative modifiers to hit may make your orks unable to shoot anything at all. 

You can get around this buy having more melee able units, but it may be difficult to solve this one entirely against certain opponents' armies. 

Welcome to the grim-dark!

Having lurked in universe since rouge trader I agree with the above statements that 8th is both streamlined and fun, you're gonna have a good time if you find some opponents who share your gaming values.

Almost all of our games have been close, and for the first time since 3rd we've had a game come down to the final dice rolled :)

Good stuff :)

Have fun with da waaaaagh!

17 hours ago, paxmiles said:

8e is fun, but certain opponents will make 8e no fun for Orks. Issue is that most orks hit on 5+ and in 8e there are certain opponents who's entire army makes you -1 or more to hit, making it near impossible for orks to hit at range. Waiting on a FAQ fix, but in the mean time, you should understand the negative modifiers to hit may make your orks unable to shoot anything at all. 

You can get around this buy having more melee able units, but it may be difficult to solve this one entirely against certain opponents' armies. 

Screw shooting! Orks need to be bashing face!

1 hour ago, SPaceORK said:

Screw shooting! Orks need to be bashing face!

Yes! Totally agree. Waggghh for the win. 

Just mentioning it because if you go into the game planning to only shoot with orks, going to have no fun against certain opponents that capitalize off penalties to hit.