Ork FAQ

WestRider

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/warhammer_40000_orks_en.pdf

Things that jumped out at me:

• Loot It no longer works on Meganobz
  • Goff Warlord Trait was buffed to provide extra AP so it isn't strictly worse than one of the basic ones
  • When used on a Transport, Tellyporta only checks the PL of  the Transport itself, not the Embarked Unit(s)
  • Neither Unit that Mobs Up counts as Destroyed, and any Stratagems/Psychic Powers/whatever affecting either of them will affect the combined Unit

There were also some minor updates to some of the other FAQs, mostly just clearing up a few things that got missed in the Fly nerf or were completely broken by the Reserves changes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/warhammer_40000_orks_en.pdf

Things that jumped out at me:

• Loot It no longer works on Meganobz
  • Goff Warlord Trait was buffed to provide extra AP so it isn't strictly worse than one of the basic ones
  • When used on a Transport, Tellyporta only checks the PL of  the Transport itself, not the Embarked Unit(s)
  • Neither Unit that Mobs Up counts as Destroyed, and any Stratagems/Psychic Powers/whatever affecting either of them will affect the combined Unit

There were also some minor updates to some of the other FAQs, mostly just clearing up a few things that got missed in the Fly nerf or were completely broken by the Reserves changes.

entirely within 6" part for Gretchen shielding is keeeeeey

41 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

entirely within 6" part for Gretchen shielding is keeeeeey

That's not what it says...

The "Entirely" is for entirely of Gretchin

Page 127 – Stratagems, Grot Shields Change the rules text to read: ‘Use this Stratagem after a Infantry unit from your army (excluding units comprised entirely of Gretchin models) has been hit by a ranged weapon. Until the end of the phase, you can roll a D6 each time an attack made with a ranged weapon wounds that unit if there is a friendly unit comprised entirely of Gretchin Infantry models within 6" of it, and the Gretchin unit is closer to the attacking model than the target unit. On a 2+ one model of your choice in that Gretchin unit is slain and the attack sequence ends.’

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I know.  The 6" is the key.

Only one of the Grots needs to be within 6" of the target Unit. The change is that it now kicks in per hit, not per Wound, so it only takes one Grot to soak, say, a Predator Autocannon shot instead of three. And some minor wording clean up that doesn't really change the functionality other than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Only one of the Grots needs to be within 6" of the target Unit. The change is that it now kicks in per hit, not per Wound, so it only takes one Grot to soak, say, a Predator Autocannon shot instead of three. And some minor wording clean up that doesn't really change the functionality other than that.

It makes a big difference. Cheddar averted.

1 minute ago, Ish said:

Won’t most of the standard Deep Strike denial strategies work against this? It can often be difficult to find a spot where a Drop Pod or a 5-Man Termie Squad can safely land... Plopping a giant Ork battle bus onto the table could be even trickier. 

obviously you can push it back, but the main benefits are that the giant meganob unit (or whatever else you might want to transport) isn't getting shot as it walks across the board, plus it's way easier to make a charge after disembarking + moving from a vehicle than immediately after deep striking.

Was reading about an article regarding Grot shield. So if someone shoots you with 40 shots from say a troop squad, it says "On a 2+ one model of your choice in that Gretchin unit is slain and the attack sequence ends." Does this mean say even if they scored say 10 wounds, only ONE would be resolved? Seems like it, says the attack sequence ends.

6 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Was reading about an article regarding Grot shield. So if someone shoots you with 40 shots from say a troop squad, it says "On a 2+ one model of your choice in that Gretchin unit is slain and the attack sequence ends." Does this mean say even if they scored say 10 wounds, only ONE would be resolved? Seems like it, says the attack sequence ends.

currently, yes. gw [big bad swear word]ed up big time yet again.

20 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Until the end of the phase, you can roll a D6 each time an attack made with a ranged weapon wounds that unit if there is a friendly unit comprised entirely of Gretchin Infantry models within 6" of it, and the Gretchin unit is closer to the attacking model than the target unit. On a 2+ one model of your choice in that Gretchin unit is slain and the attack sequence ends.’ 

It would seem that this is referring to Step 4 of the Shooting Phase 'Resolve Attacks'

The trigger is 'each time an attack made with a range weapon wounds that unit' which is step 2 of the Resolve Attacks step. So, basically, it is saying

- Wound occurs

- Roll 2+

- That wound stops in the attack sequence, go to the next one.

Edit: The below is wrong. The above is correct.

Now, RAW. It works two different ways depending on whether you roll all your attacks at once or one at a time:

One at a time:

- Roll to hit with Lascannon from Predator

- Roll to wound

- Roll 2+ for Gretchin Shield

- Discard all further attacks for that lascannon if one 2+ is shown..

All at once:

- Roll to hit with 2x Lascannon  and autocannon from Predator

- Roll to wound for these

- Roll 2+ for Gretchin Shield for each wound

- Discard all further attacks for that predator if 1 2+ is shown.

I am inclined to think that the first interpretation:

"

- Wound occurs

- Roll 2+

- That wound stops in the attack sequence, go to the next one."

is the correct one.

Just now, pretre said:

Also, you'll note that I said:

I am inclined to think that the first interpretation:

"

- Wound occurs

- Roll 2+

- That wound stops in the attack sequence, go to the next one." 

is the correct one.

Which means it stops 1 wound of your 40 wounds.

i ignored that one since it's not RAW and constrains the rule to only one part of the attack sequence. as intended i think you're right, but that's not really how it's going to be played until it gets FAQ'd.

4 minutes ago, Dusldorf said:

i ignored that one since it's not RAW and constrains the rule to only one part of the attack sequence. as intended i think you're right, but that's not really how it's going to be played until it gets FAQ'd.

No, I don't think that's correct. If you read the Resolve Attacks steps, all of the steps are made in the singular:

'Each time a model makes an attack, roll a dice'

It doesn't say roll 40 dice for a Punisher Cannon, it says that a Punisher Cannon makes 40 attacks and you can roll attacks one at a time or all at once. So technically, it would be rolled one at a time and resolved one at a time. If your opponent insists that you throw out the entire punisher cannon, you can insist to roll each attack individually.

"If a weapon has more than one attack, it
must make all of its attacks against the
same target unit."

"4. Resolve Attacks
Attacks can be made one at a time,
or, in some cases, you can roll
for multiple attacks together. The
following sequence is used to make
attacks one at a time:"

Edit: I updated my previous post. The updated rule works perfectly fine.

• Like 1