Sgt. Rock's War Stories

Sgt. Rock

So in the interest of actually engaging with other humans, I am fulfilling the request to begin chronicling my journey through the escalation league. I figure I'll start with the list I've settled on for Tuesday (After playing Infinity for so many years and needing to keep my lists secret, this is slightly weird for me.)

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [28 PL, 499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Crimson Fists

+ HQ +

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Duty's Burden, Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Refuse to Die, Warlord

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 84pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Power sword, Sniper rifle
. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 176pts]
. 7x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [28 PL, 499pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Also, the plan is to give the looey the new Crimson Fists relic bolt rifle, but Battlescribe hasn't been updated yet to include that. I may or may not end up combat squadding the tactical squad, depending on the situation and opponent. Will follow with WIP painting shots tonight/tomorrow.

EDIT: Apparently, Battlescribe has been updated, so there's the whole magilla.

• Like 3

Well, the Crimson Fists brought shame to the Emperor this evening. After a pitched battle, they were overcome by the Tau, who lowered themselves to base fisticuffs to defeat the Emperor's "finest." Which is to say, they GOT THEIR TEETH KICKED IN BY A BUNCH OF BLUE-SKINNED CHUMPS WHO DON'T KNOW WHICH END OF A KNIFE TO HOLD WITHOUT CUTTING THEMSELVES. The lone survivor of the massacre was one tactical marine with a missile launcher, who had been missing his targets all game. No extraction is planned. He can hitchhike back to Rynn's World, and if he survives the trip, we *might* think about letting him back in. Maybe.

In all seriousness, @paxmiles provided a great game. There were some ridiculous dice rolls (like the one Fire Warrior atop the ruins who WOULD NOT DIE) and I learned that a patrol detachment, even at 500 points, simply isn't enough. Command points are important, it would seem. Next week, I'll probably field a captain of some stripe, so I can get some better melee protection, and/or shoehorn a dreadnought in. 750 should give me a bit more wiggle room, though I'm a little worried I'm going to struggle with anti-armor capabilities. Can't really fit many lascannons in at that level, and krak missiles are unreliable (as proven by the aforementioned nitwit who kept shooting at the Crisis commander and failing at life.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Well, the Crimson Fists brought shame to the Emperor this evening. After a pitched battle, they were overcome by the Tau, who lowered themselves to base fisticuffs to defeat the Emperor's "finest." Which is to say, they GOT THEIR TEETH KICKED IN BY A BUNCH OF BLUE-SKINNED CHUMPS WHO DON'T KNOW WHICH END OF A KNIFE TO HOLD WITHOUT CUTTING THEMSELVES. The lone survivor of the massacre was one tactical marine with a missile launcher, who had been missing his targets all game. No extraction is planned. He can hitchhike back to Rynn's World, and if he survives the trip, we *might* think about letting him back in. Maybe.

In all seriousness, @paxmiles provided a great game. There were some ridiculous dice rolls (like the one Fire Warrior atop the ruins who WOULD NOT DIE) and I learned that a patrol detachment, even at 500 points, simply isn't enough. Command points are important, it would seem. Next week, I'll probably field a captain of some stripe, so I can get some better melee protection, and/or shoehorn a dreadnought in. 750 should give me a bit more wiggle room, though I'm a little worried I'm going to struggle with anti-armor capabilities. Can't really fit many lascannons in at that level, and krak missiles are unreliable (as proven by the aforementioned nitwit who kept shooting at the Crisis commander and failing at life.)

I was thinking about it in hindsight, that game was ridiciously close in terms of VP. I won 6:4, but if your scouts had killed my Commander in melee, I would have lost 4:6 (you gaining slain warlord and no quarter +1, while I'd have been denied no quarter +1 and linebreaker ).

Anyway, I think I only won because I was able to tie up that one plasma squad early on. I think if you dedicate a screening unit for them, you won't run into that problem again. 

I don't think your list was particularly bad, I think our game boiled down to luck and tactics. And that's really how a good game is supposed to be. And it was a good game. Thanks again.

Yeah, I think you're right. Hellblasters are a big investment, and while 2 wounds and power armor is good, it's still not enough to let them go traipsing up the field unattended. Everything I've read says they should be hidden behind something until they can get into rapid fire range. And I don't think my list was bad, but I think it would have been helpful if I'd snuck a power fist or two in there. Constantly being on 5's to wound your commander in melee is really what stymied me in that regard, I think.

Also, I like the Crimson Fists, and I really like that their new rules are fluffy and represent the chapter, but I'm thinking they're a bit of a limitation, honestly. Having all your cool abilities predicated on being outnumbered 2:1 isn't a particularly reliable or useful set of rules. But I still like them, I have Pedro Kantor already, and I have 4 pots of Kantor Blue for my airbrush, so in for a penny, in for a pound!

Quick and dirty idea for 750 points next week:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [43 PL, 750pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 118pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Iron Resolve, Master-crafted power sword, Warlord

Techmarine [4 PL, 45pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Servo-arm, Teeth of Terra

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

. Scout Sergeant: Power maul, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 170pts]
. 7x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power fist

+ Elites +

Dreadnought [7 PL, 132pts]: Twin lascannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 112pts]: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [43 PL, 750pts] ++

Should have enough anti-infantry and anti-armor firepower to take care of business, and it solves my issue of not having any high-strength melee weapons that can put the hurt on T5 and up.

34 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Quick and dirty idea for 750 points next week:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [43 PL, 750pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 118pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Iron Resolve, Master-crafted power sword, Warlord

Techmarine [4 PL, 45pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Servo-arm, Teeth of Terra

+ Troops +

. 4x Intercessor

. Scout Sergeant: Power maul, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 170pts]
. 7x Space Marine

+ Elites +

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [43 PL, 750pts] ++

Should have enough anti-infantry and anti-armor firepower to take care of business, and it solves my issue of not having any high-strength melee weapons that can put the hurt on T5 and up.

Dreadnought with twin las and your biggest melee weapon makes it a prime target. As is, it will die turn 1 in every game. Suggest replacing las with less impressive weapon, so as to increase the odds that you'll survive long enough to make melee range. 

Drop the Tactical squad. Too many points for what it brings. Replace with a duplicated one of your existing troop builds (scouts or intercessors). 

Given that the Razorback can't transport the primaris marines and the scouts have zero reason to want to be transported, I'd drop it from the list. Even if you kept the tactical squad, I'd still drop the razor. 

Should have points now for 2x devastator squads. I suggest 2x heavy weapons per unit. They don't need to be amazing, they just need to draw fire away from the dreadnought while plinking the enemy. Given your hit modifying chapter tactics, could give moving Multi-meltas or Grav Cannons a try. 

If points still remain, suggest replacing techmarine with another character. Libby would be really nice, but that character you brought last time was fine and would work quite well with devastators (both because of his long range weapon and because of the re-rolling 1s to wound).

Excellent points all, however, this is mostly going off the models I have access to at present. I'm terribly adverse to the notion of proxying anything if I can avoid it, and I try as much as possible to make even my wargear WYSIWYG. I do not have more scouts or Intercessors. I need to invest in more of each. The Razorback is honestly just there as a platform for lascannons, as I also do not have dev squads. The Techmarine is nice, because he's the cheapest HQ I have access to, in order to fill out a Battalion to get those precious CP I was lacking tonight, and he gives me some last minute melee oomph should I need it. He can also keep the dread and/or Razorback alive. I see what you mean about the dread being a fire magnet with the lascannons, though. Maybe a plasma cannon? Just to keep some of his anti-armor capability outside of melee. If I do that, I can drop in a scout with a heavy bolter. 750 feels like a weird point level; Guard can easily bring a Leman Russ at 500, but without a Devastator squad (which is a surprisingly expensive investment, points-wise) even at 750, Space Marines seem to have trouble answering heavy armor like that. Clearly, I need to get some more games in to figure out what I'm doing better.

Just thought of something. Week 2 allows 2x detachments. So on that command points thing, you might want to see if you can squeeze together both a battalion and a detachment that grants +1 cp.

Hmm...could try something like this:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [26 PL, 431pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Power fist

Captain [5 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Power fist

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Stalker Bolt Rifle
. 4x Intercessor

Scout Squad [6 PL, 85pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Power axe, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 85pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun/Bolt pistol

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [21 PL, 318pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armor [7 PL, 106pts]: Power fist, Storm bolter

++ Total: [47 PL, 749pts] ++

Acquiring terminators with fist and storm bolter is pretty easy (I'd be willing to just give you 3x of them), if you don't already have them. And 5x power fist wielding captains is pretty scary, no matter how you look at it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I had my game on Sunday with @Lyraeus. Turn one, I lost my scouts and one combat squad of Marines, and it all went downhill from there. That said, but for a few close rolls, I might have actually been able to pull things a little closer... I came close to killing his warlord (Techmarine CC for the fun!) and as usual, the Gravis captain earned his keep and then some in melee, doing some serious damage and almost wiping a squad of boys that were closing on my objective. But there were just too many of them... 

My Chapter Tactic for Crimson Fists, while cute, didn't help me much. And I feel like Dakka Dakka Dakka! is... well, I won't say it's OP, but I will say that I don't have a great way to counter it; even with a 2+ save from cover, when a 5 man squad is taking 12 hits, it doesn't end well. I'm going to dither about with my new list here in a little bit, see if I can come up with something at 1k that won't get steamrolled like I did yesterday. Still, it was a good game, and I'm learning more and more about how this edition of 40k works. Will post some list ideas here soon.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

So I had my game on Sunday with @Lyraeus. Turn one, I lost my scouts and one combat squad of Marines, and it all went downhill from there. That said, but for a few close rolls, I might have actually been able to pull things a little closer... I came close to killing his warlord (Techmarine CC for the fun!) and as usual, the Gravis captain earned his keep and then some in melee, doing some serious damage and almost wiping a squad of boys that were closing on my objective. But there were just too many of them... 

My Chapter Tactic for Crimson Fists, while cute, didn't help me much. And I feel like Dakka Dakka Dakka! is... well, I won't say it's OP, but I will say that I don't have a great way to counter it; even with a 2+ save from cover, when a 5 man squad is taking 12 hits, it doesn't end well. I'm going to dither about with my new list here in a little bit, see if I can come up with something at 1k that won't get steamrolled like I did yesterday. Still, it was a good game, and I'm learning more and more about how this edition of 40k works. Will post some list ideas here soon.

False your chapter tactic helped you immensely. It allowed you to get hits you would not normally have gotten. 

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

"Dakka, Dakka, Dakka" only works because Orks have lots of volume fire weapons mounted on cheap models. It would be significantly less impressive on most of the space marine options. 

Regarding your 2+ save. If you take 12 wounds and have a 2+ save, you should only have 2 unsaved wounds. It should require 30 wounds to slay 5 scout marines with 2+. And with Ork BS 5+, that's 90 shots (not including that dakka rule). With having to wound taken into account for ork shootas (s4), that's 180 shots. And you could even further increase survivability by having an apothecary nearby.

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

"Dakka, Dakka, Dakka" only works because Orks have lots of volume fire weapons mounted on cheap models. It would be significantly less impressive on most of the space marine options. 

Regarding your 2+ save. If you take 12 wounds and have a 2+ save, you should only have 2 unsaved wounds. It should require 30 wounds to slay 5 scout marines with 2+. And with Ork BS 5+, that's 90 shots (not including that dakka rule). And you could even further increase survivability by having an apothecary nearby.

Not anymore when you can get so many Bolter shots now procing on 6+ yeesh... Terminators with storm Bolters and Bolter Drill... Yeesh

1 minute ago, paxmiles said:

Regarding your 2+ save. If you take 12 wounds and have a 2+ save, you should only have 2 unsaved wounds. And you could even further reduce this by having an apothecary nearby.

Right. My biggest failing in this case, and I think the biggest reason I lost, is due to list building. I had basically 4 5 man squads, which means that if I take 12 wounds, and I lose 2 models (which is pushing it, because my dice hate me) then I'm suddenly down 40% of my squad. If I'd had an apothecary and/or ancient, it would have been a little better, but not a whole lot, I think. And other random screwiness didn't help; I made the mistake of overcharging my plasma gunner, thinking "Oh, he's right next to the captain, he'll be fine." Nope. Rolled a 1, reroll, another 1. He blew himself up without any help. 

I'm a fan of the MSU approach, and Crimson Fists especially seem to like it, but unfortunately, that means that it's all too easy to nullify any given squad if you put enough firepower into it. 

Just now, Sgt. Rock said:

Right. My biggest failing in this case, and I think the biggest reason I lost, is due to list building. I had basically 4 5 man squads, which means that if I take 12 wounds, and I lose 2 models (which is pushing it, because my dice hate me) then I'm suddenly down 40% of my squad. If I'd had an apothecary and/or ancient, it would have been a little better, but not a whole lot, I think. And other random screwiness didn't help; I made the mistake of overcharging my plasma gunner, thinking "Oh, he's right next to the captain, he'll be fine." Nope. Rolled a 1, reroll, another 1. He blew himself up without any help. 

I'm a fan of the MSU approach, and Crimson Fists especially seem to like it, but unfortunately, that means that it's all too easy to nullify any given squad if you put enough firepower into it. 

If the dice hate you, I suggest looking into fixing that. I've noticed that the size and weight of the dice affects my rolling. I find I roll better with heavier and larger dice. Like poker dice vs those tiny ones. It doesn't solve the issue, and I still have days with bad rolling, but it's more balanced than it seems to be with the tiny dice.

I've also noticed that mood seems to have a large impact on the dice and, because it relates to mood, food/drink can impact the dice. Pure anecdote, but seems to be relatively consistent for me.

Rolling terrible isn't something that you can fix with list creation or tactics. That said, I have known people that purposely picked armies based on their rolling tendencies. If you roll 1s a lot, picking an army with easy access to re-rolling 1s can be adventageous. If you just tend to fail a lot, you could try switching to weapons/armies that don't roll much at all (auto-hitting weapons, don't have any saves, and so forth). 

“Should happen” and “does happen” are little more than kissing cousins. Probability curves have pointy ends as well as the fat bulge in the middle...

Throw two dice, probability says you’ll get a ‘Seven,’ but Las Vegas was built by people who knew that plenty of people would also get snake-eyes whilst chasing that elusive ‘Eleven.’ 

• Like 1

So here's an idea:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [56 PL, 995pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armor [7 PL, 101pts]: Power sword, Storm bolter, Tenacious Opponent, Warlord

Lieutenants [4 PL, 80pts]
. Lieutenant: Combi-plasma, Power fist

Techmarine [5 PL, 71pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta
. Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

+ Troops +

. 4x Intercessor

Scout Squad [6 PL, 80pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 165pts]
. 7x Space Marine
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Elites +

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [56 PL, 995pts] ++

It might be lacking a little bit of anti-armor at this point level, but it's what I have to work with. Thought is to combat squad the tactical squad with the sergeant and flamer in the Razorback and send them off with the Techmarine to go wreck face up close. Razorback will probably get smoked pretty early, though; it's awfully fragile, and being one of my two main sources of anti-armor, it's going to be a priority target. Really wish I had a Devastator squad right now, but oh well. If I can keep the Hellblasters alive, they can do pretty decent anti-tank duty, too. I'm considering wiggling some points around and trying the heavy plasma incinerators on them, but I dunno.

• Like 1

I think your army trait could benefit rather uniquely from moving heavy weapons every turn. 

Additionally, the Flakk Missile Stratagem adds +1 to hit vs fly models (as well as dealing mortal wounds).