What should I play?

Sgt. Rock

So when I decided to get back into 40k, I chose Space Marines, because they're the most economically accessible army to play. It wasn't until I was already a bit invested that I learned more about the whole Primaris silliness going on. I've never been a big fan of Marines, and that really soured me on things. So once I have enough marines to make a 2000 point list (stupid CA points drop!) I want to start something else, but I don't fully know what. I want an army that's going to be dynamic, because I find static gunlines kind of boring. I don't want a high model count army, so returning to my orky ways of the past is right out. I really enjoy CC. Honestly, if Space Marines didn't have this Primaris BS, they'd be about perfect. As it is, I'm considering Chaos Space Marines, because they have the strong melee, competent shooting, and not hugely high model count (and I already have a few models.) I'm not a huge fan of their aesthetics, though; they strike me as a bunch of try-hards trying to out-evil each other. I'm really intrigued by Necrons, but I've heard they're a pretty slow gunline, so if I want something dynamic, they're probably out. And I have a long-standing prejudice against elves (damn dirty knife-ears...)

Any suggestions?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

So when I decided to get back into 40k, I chose Space Marines, because they're the most economically accessible army to play. It wasn't until I was already a bit invested that I learned more about the whole Primaris silliness going on. I've never been a big fan of Marines, and that really soured me on things. So once I have enough marines to make a 2000 point list (stupid CA points drop!) I want to start something else, but I don't fully know what. I want an army that's going to be dynamic, because I find static gunlines kind of boring. I don't want a high model count army, so returning to my orky ways of the past is right out. I really enjoy CC. Honestly, if Space Marines didn't have this Primaris BS, they'd be about perfect. As it is, I'm considering Chaos Space Marines, because they have the strong melee, competent shooting, and not hugely high model count (and I already have a few models.) I'm not a huge fan of their aesthetics, though; they strike me as a bunch of try-hards trying to out-evil each other. I'm really intrigued by Necrons, but I've heard they're a pretty slow gunline, so if I want something dynamic, they're probably out. And I have a long-standing prejudice against elves (damn dirty knife-ears...)

Any suggestions?

Sounds like Imperial Knights is the army for you. Low model count, fast, dynamic, and they can do melee. The Imperial ones also have really solid rules support.

I don't recommend CSM or it's variants. They lean more horde than they used to (big blobs of cultists/poxwalkers in every army). Chaos Daemons is also rather horde-like. Renegade Knights have lacking rules support when compared to their imperial counterparts.

Do you care if your competitive? Do you just want to have a chance each game? Do you just want cool models?

CSM is a solid middle tier choice. Great hq's, some of the best strats in the game, excellent powers.

Demon princes, berserkers can form a solid core to a csm army. If you wanna branch out a bit, 30 bloodletters is a solid choice as well. If you want to fully embrace chaos in all forms, you can use Morty. Chaos in loans toward horde type armies but it can be avoided. Probably go with berserkers in rhinos, 40/10/10 cultists (you might as well get full use of tide of traitors), khorne winged dp with axe, 30 man blob of bloodletters and appropriate hq's. Sprinkle other things in to taste.

Custodes is also a very low model count army that is very choppy/shooty. Obviously bikes are amazing but the other units received a points drop.

But as pax pointed out, knights is the lowest model count army out there. A Castellan, 2 Gallants is a solid start. Excellent shooting, very strong cc.

But to be fair you'll find extremely  low model count armies struggle to win. They simple can't grab enough objectives. Hence the popular "Loyal 32" slotted into almost every Imperium army. Although thats not really accurate  as most of the time it's far more than 32 guard models 

And necrons are not what your looking for to be sure.

Just start expanding on your range of imperium. You can always make a mixed force army at 2000 points. 

Get yourself some custodes- one box of five builds a patrol detachment of them. Two boxes and you have a battalion. 

Grab a single knight box and add a super heavy auxiliary.

Oh, or maybe you like tanks and imperial guard is more you your liking- they have a huge range of dudes that do all sorts of things.

Combine that with some of your already existing marines and you could easily create a more dynamic list that is both ‘fluffy’ and viable.

More to the point is, in this current universe of 8th edition rules and army construction its advantageous and kinda cool to break away from static single force armies. 

Obviously some factions can’t do that, and, I’ll admit it took me a while to start to accept soup lists in the meta but once I did it... it’s always fun to realize that you’re much less locked in on what toys you are collecting just to paint vs if you can also play them.

• Like 1

Custodes, Knights, and Deathwing (Dark Angels) are probably the lowest model count armies in the game. But, here’s some other options:

Tempestus Scions the Storm Troopers of the Imperial Guard were given a stand-alone codex in the previous edition and then folded back into the full Guard ‘dex in the present. However, you can still field a “pure” Tempestus force. Model count is about on par with a non-Primaris Marine force, they’re very dynamic, very elite, and very pretty army. (Plus you have built-in access to damn near everything else in the Guard ‘dex if you decide to expand.)

Tyrannids: Massed hordes of cheap gribblies seems to be the en vogue way to play them these days, but, Tyranid Warriors and Genestealers are both Troops Units. ‘Stealers cost about as much as a Marine, Warriors about as much as Terminators. Both hit like bricks in mêlée. Fill your core slots with them, splash some points on the really big Godzilla-sized bugs, and call it good. (Plus, you can always expand into Genestealer Cults.)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ish said:

Custodes, Knights, and Deathwing (Dark Angels) are probably the lowest model count armies in the game. But, here’s some other options:

Tempestus Scions the Storm Troopers of the Imperial Guard were given a stand-alone codex in the previous edition and then folded back into the full Guard ‘dex in the present. However, you can still field a “pure” Tempestus force. Model count is about on par with a non-Primaris Marine force, they’re very dynamic, very elite, and very pretty army. (Plus you have built-in access to damn near everything else in the Guard ‘dex if you decide to expand.)

Tyrannids: Massed hordes of cheap gribblies seems to be the en vogue way to play them these days, but, Tyranid Warriors and Genestealers are both Troops Units. ‘Stealers cost about as much as a Marine, Warriors about as much as Terminators. Both hit like bricks in mêlée. Fill your core slots with them, splash some points on the really big Godzilla-sized bugs, and call it good. (Plus, you can always expand into Genestealer Cults.)

I second all 3 of these. In a fun environment these are all fantastic factions

1 hour ago, fluger said:

What about Eldar?  Not choppy enough?

Eldar could work, but GW's been neglecting their model lines, so I wouldn't recommend them to a new/returning player. 

I was looking in battlescribe at Necrons for cheap/low number options. You could buy 3x of their GW Plastic Super Heavy kit and field them as a Super Heavy Detachment (3x Obelisk) and a Spearhead Detachment (3x Trancendant C'tan). You'd need to buy an HQ to complete the spearhead, and then maybe 100-200pts of other things, but that's a 2k list with 7 CP. Would be cheaper than buying imperial knights, though still ~$500. Looks really easy to paint. Tempts me, actually.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Necron-Obelisk 

53 minutes ago, fluger said:

What about Eldar?  Not choppy enough?

The issue with Eldar is that they are a hugely finesse army that punishes you for mistakes so if you want shenanigans go teal space elves, but they can fold. Dark Eldar have grotesques and other more durable units so they work well

• Like 1

Another option for dynamic, good mêlée, strong shooting, and low(ish) model count would be an All Biker Army: White Scars, Black Templars, and Iron Hands (Vanilla); Ravenwing (Dark Angels); and Blood Angels can all field very solid Biker Armies.

To be optimal, White Scars want you to bring a couple Tactical Squads in RhinoBacks; Ultramarines and Blood Angels want you to add a splash of Assault Squads, Vanguards, or Inceptors; Black Templars want you to add a splash of Crusader Squads; and Ravenwing wants some Land Speeders and Termies... But you can go pure Bikes and do fine.

A basic Biker Marine without any upgrades brings you a 14” Move, T5, 3+ Save, twin boltguns, and a chainsword (two S4 AP – attacks. Not bad at all.

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

Another option for dynamic, good mêlée, strong shooting, and low(ish) model count would be an All Biker Army: White Scars, Black Templars, and Iron Hands (Vanilla); Ravenwing (Dark Angels); and Blood Angels can all field very solid Biker Armies.

To be optimal, White Scars want you to bring a couple Tactical Squads in RhinoBacks; Ultramarines and Blood Angels want you to add a splash of Assault Squads, Vanguards, or Inceptors; Black Templars want you to add a splash of Crusader Squads; and Ravenwing wants some Land Speeders and Termies... But you can go pure Bikes and do fine.

A basic Biker Marine without any upgrades brings you a 14” Move, T5, 3+ Save, twin boltguns, and a chainsword (two S4 AP – attacks. Not bad at all.

Nix these. Go full faith with Sisters of Battle!!! Add in some of the Custodes and you could have a hilariously fun army with a strong slap you in the face faction! Oh and you get to shoot Missiles out of Pipe Organs

• Like 2

Could also go with Chaos Daemon Supreme Command Detachments. Those Greater Daemons are HQs. They are not pushovers.

I have been thinking that a Renegade Knight Detachment and a Chaos Daemon Supreme Command Detachment could make a pretty good low model count force. Maybe not slaanesh until we get an updated greater, but the other 3x deities have pretty impressive HQ greater daemons, and would benefit greatly from Renegade knight force providing ranged weapons.

10 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Nix these. Go full faith with Sisters of Battle!!! Add in some of the Custodes and you could have a hilariously fun army with a strong slap you in the face faction! Oh and you get to shoot Missiles out of Pipe Organs

I would love to see some conversion of Vertus to have female riders and such. Pretty easy with good head swaps from custodes.

That being said, Sisters is a tough sell with plastics so close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lyraeus said:

I have always had a good experience with what I buy from their website and those around me have had no issues. 

The stuff I have seen has not been the best cases (mold lines and rough bits) (daemons and sisters) and has been crazy thin, to the point where I would be afraid to put it on a table (this is for daemons stuff).

I'd rather work with old metal than their resin.

And this is not even addressing their questionable aesthetic choices. 🙂