How the ITC Format works (a Scoring primer)

Lyraeus

The ITC Format is pretty fun. While games can feel one sided in standard missions the ITC Format gives you as the player the options to succeed. 

The primary missions are simple scoring, did you Kill something on your turn? Did you Hold something on your turn? If yes score one point for each yes and if you killed more or held more score another point for each of those. 

Example:

@Dark Trainer went second in our last league game and I didn't kill anything T1, Dark kills my Dakkajet, giving him Kill Something and he held the same number of objectives so he held the same. 

So he gets 3 points; 1 for killing something, 1 for killing more, 1 for holding an objective. 

I get 1 point; I held an objective. 

From there things come down to some choices that you get to make pre game when you walk up to the table and see the list you are fighting against. 

This is where you get to choose your secondary objectives. Secondaries are things you accomplish during the game that can give you at best 4 points per secondary. You get to choose 3 secondary missions that your army wants to accomplish in a game and your opponent know what they are and who they affect. 

The Secondaries are;

*Headhunter: 1pt for each enemy Character that is destroyed.

*Kingslayer: Choose an enemy model that is a Character.

• Earn 1 point for every 2 wounds of damage it loses, cumulatively.

• If the model selected has the Character and Vehicle or Monster keywords, you earn 1 point for every 4 wounds it loses instead of 1 for every 2.

• If the Character is also your opponent’s Warlord, earn 1 additional point if it is destroyed.

*Marked for Death: Choose 4 of your opponent’s units with a Power Level of 7+. Earn 1 pt for each of these units destroyed.

*Big Game Hunter: 1 point for every enemy model with the Monster or Vehicle keyword and 7+ wounds destroyed.

*Titan Slayers: For every 8 wounds lost by enemy units with the Titanic keyword in total throughout the course of the game, earn 1 point.

The Reaper: For every 20 enemy models destroyed, earn 1 point. 

Recon: Have a unit at least partially in each table quarter at the end of your player turn. A unit may only count as being in one table quarter at a time for the purposes of this rule. 1pt per turn.

Behind Enemy Lines: If at least one of your units is wholly in the enemy Deployment Zone at the start of your turn, earn 1 Point. A unit is wholly in if every model in the unit is at least partially in the enemy Deployment Zone.

The Butcher’s Bill: Destroy 2+ enemy units during a player turn to earn 1 Point.

Ground Control: Earn 1 point for each objective held at the end of the last Battle Round played.

Old School: Earn 1 point for the following:

• First Strike: An enemy unit is destroyed in the first Battle Round.
  • Slay the Warlord: The enemy Warlord is destroyed at game’s end.
  • Linebreaker: Have one of your models within your opponent’s deployment zone at the end of the game.
  • Last Strike: An enemy unit is destroyed in the last Battle Round played.

Anything with an asterisk (*) next to it can not count a second time. So no killing the Warlord for Kingslayer and Old School points as Kingslayer can not stack with other Secondaries 

As you can see there are a few to choose from that gives you the player the best chances to succeed. 

Are you facing orks or Nids with a ton of models? Well take Reaper. Facing many small squads of units you think you can kill in a turn? Take Butchers Bill! Does your opponent have multiple scary units that have to die (looking at you Lootas) go on and take Marked for Death on those units. 

Remember, each secondary only gives 4 points maximum and you get 3 of them so 12 points there while just holding something and killing something a turn gives you 12 points over 6 turns as well. Killing more and holding more is a chance for up to 12 additional points as well giving you a max of 36 points not including the bonus. 

Every ITC mission will have a bonus objective as well. This is usually something difficult but you do get a point for each turn you achieve this bonus objective. 

Scoring is taken down at the end of every Player Round. 

For those curious about details on the format here is the Frontline Gaming ITC page. Just use the ITC Champion Missions link and it will bring up a word doc with how you set up and such as that is slightly differ (you choose your extra relics and psychic powers game to game) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ish said:

Seems like this would require a lot of bookkeeping during play.

You just need a score sheet (which you're going to need at the end of the game anyways) and you check off stuff either, as you get it (secondaries), or at the end of turns. Even in non-progressive games, I used to do this so I knew where I was at in the game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fluger said:

As a total newb, I walked into it blind at the Mugu Tournament, had no clue game one and got roasted, played close both games after as I got a feel for what was important.  I LOVE progressive scoring so much.

MUGU is the Bifpod guys... I want to head up there on their next tournament... 

Thankfully, the format is simple and you learn a ton! Just watching games for Charity Hammer where they go over why they are doing X or Y has been amazing! 

3 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Now something people miss, ITC works great for ITC missions but you can always make your own. Just try to keep it balanced if possible (no removing random objectives 😜 ) and remember to create a bonus point 

(hint hint @Dark Trainer

It's easier to use pre-made missions and for balance. The tournament will go that way, and likely those learning missions.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

It's easier to use pre-made missions and for balance. The tournament will go that way, and likely those learning missions.

Does the primer make sense? In our game you would of had actually 14 points or better which is really good for a smaller game like that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Does the primer make sense? In our game you would of had actually 14 points or better which is really good for a smaller game like that

Yeah, nothing is hard to follow. Just lots of angles to consider in the game on top of other things. Agreed book keeping between matches will be rough, but i think our headcount would only be like max 20 (if that). I agree the scoresheet being clean and tight would be good.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Yeah, nothing is hard to follow. Just lots of angles to consider in the game on top of other things. Agreed book keeping between matches will be rough, but i think our headcount would only be like max 20 (if that). I agree the scoresheet being clean and tight would be good.

Just teach people to do it between player turns. That's how the professionals do it. 

I don't mind monitoring games next week to show people how to do things. 

18 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Good write-up. I'd also note that the score sheet that FLG included in their Scenario Pack helps keep it all sorted out really nicely.

Also, you've got a bit of a copypasta error up there. Headhunter and Kingslayer are listed twice.

Hahaha whoops! Missed that. 

I did get a clarification. You can't score two asterisk secondaries together so no Headhunter and Kingslayer on a Warlord 

17 hours ago, Ish said:

Seems like this would require a lot of bookkeeping during play.

It seems that way, but most of the players in the GG league (aside from me) have no problem keeping track of it.

It's just a real mouthful to explain to new (to ITC) players.

Which is in direct conflict with the rules of the game, which say you chose (or roll for) your Warlord Trait immediately prior to deployment.

Immediately before either player starts to deploy their army, you can roll on the Warlord Trait table here to determine what Warlord Trait your Warlord has. Alternatively, choose the trait that most suits your Warlord’s temperament or style of war.

–Main Rulebook, p. 186

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

Which is in direct conflict with the rules of the game, which say you chose (or roll for) your Warlord Trait immediately prior to deployment.

You misread:

"Your Warlord must be marked on your List. Your Warlord Trait and Relic are chosen before each match per the ITC Mission Rules, and thus do not have to be on your list."

I would like to add that Recon is objectively terrible and should be avoided at all costs for pretty much every army. If you have a fast or multitudinous army it might look tempting. Do not get tricked, it's garbage. 

It requires the coordinated efforts of 4 units to score 1 point per turn. Nothing else comes close to dictating such resources for such a small payoff. On top of that, timed tournament games put a ceiling on its potential. Many games don't go past 3 turns. It encourages a LOT of suboptimal movement for very little payoff.

I'm frankly shocked they haven't fixed it. As it stands now, it's just a trap for the unfamiliar to fall into and nothing else.

• Thanks 1