LVO TIME!

Lord Hanaur

24 minutes ago, fluger said:

That's the kind of data accumulation needed to seriously balance the game.

Could be.  Could be. 

Although 8th Edition has done a REMARKABLE job of it.  I mean honestly there are very few "dog" factions.  Grey Knights and Sisters are a bit of an uphill struggle to win with at tournaments or so it seems to me but outside of them...There seems to be a path to victory for most races.  I think that Ynarri being so broken in combination is an ongoing issue that artificially sort of makes other factions look worse than maybe they are otherwise.  

But on the whole 8th Edition has been so much stronger in that balance department with its willingness like Privateer Press, to fix the "oops" on points and such.  And at the end of the day points can make anything broken a hell of a gamble.  They just need to recognize the synergies that are causing issues and resolve those.  Add 100 points to the Word of the Phoenix casters.  Suddenly you're closer to the mark, for example.  Still good, but now its a choice instead of a no brainer to take that model.  Stuff like that where the game just isnt recognizing the power of some synergies.  "Assuming they wont use it" as a basis for pointing is silly.  They'll use it.  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Huh, OK then. I personally enjoy BIFPOD and Best General 

Yeah i think there are different ones that speak to people.  So many of these gamer podcasts sort of meander, and are filled with inside jokes casual listeners wont get and so on.  I'll bet there are gems among them though and you just have to find them.   

I've guested on some podcasts as interviewee 5 or 6 times for a little segment here and there and I have listened to select ones people pointed out to me for some relevant or interesting tactica someone thought I should listen to.  As for one that has a cast o' characters I really liked, or who were great at organizing their show and really giving me unusual takes on things...  I guess i just never found one.  I did listen to 11th Company on occasion a long time ago before they stopped.  Their interviews could be pretty far flung and interesting.

I used to listen to the Bad Dice Podcast, which focuses on WHFB and then AoS. But after one of the original two hosts left, it quickly devolved into repeated inside jokes and other morning drive time radio type “comedy.”

Haven’t bothered to listen to it in years.

33 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Yeah i think there are different ones that speak to people.  So many of these gamer podcasts sort of meander, and are filled with inside jokes casual listeners wont get and so on.  I'll bet there are gems among them though and you just have to find them.   

I've guested on some podcasts as interviewee 5 or 6 times for a little segment here and there and I have listened to select ones people pointed out to me for some relevant or interesting tactica someone thought I should listen to.  As for one that has a cast o' characters I really liked, or who were great at organizing their show and really giving me unusual takes on things...  I guess i just never found one.  I did listen to 11th Company on occasion a long time ago before they stopped.  Their interviews could be pretty far flung and interesting.

Best in Faction doesn't have much inside refrences as they keep a small group of 3 and they through their games in tournaments and do breakdowns of the Meta.

The Best General is a players goal to win a GT and he brings on various people, from Olympic rowers, to cyclists, he goes over his games and does game recaps. 

Highly recommended for both

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

But on the whole 8th Edition has been so much stronger in that balance department with its willingness like Privateer Press, to fix the "oops" on points and such.  

That's what sold me on Warmahordes and why I did it for most of 6th and 7th, but the 40k universe is just too compelling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fluger said:

That's what sold me on Warmahordes and why I did it for most of 6th and 7th, but the 40k universe is just too compelling.

The new CEO made al lthe difference in the world honestly.  The rise of the ITC, which isn't 100% good but surely is a lot of good, has done much to help this and using actual REAL gamers to test things was a major step in the right direction.  Lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

Best in Faction doesn't have much inside refrences as they keep a small group of 3 and they through their games in tournaments and do breakdowns of the Meta.

The Best General is a players goal to win a GT and he brings on various people, from Olympic rowers, to cyclists, he goes over his games and does game recaps. 

Highly recommended for both

MM, okay.  Maybe you could link me like a crazy man and i could check them out.  You know, one thing I REALLY enjoy as a gamer that I have NEVER seen done is a dramatic retelling.  I come from a STRONG and LONG Dungeons and Dragons background.  My campaigns are 500-1000 hours long, and I have loved Role playing more than any other hobby since time began.  So when i first began playing this game in 2004, I had never done wargames before, I ws 30 and I LOVED writing the battle reports like stories afeterwards.

heres a couple examples:  https://40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/2017/07/letters-from-front.html

and:  https://40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-results-of-third-sphere-expansion.html

This is what I am seeing when I play this game.  i am seeing a movie unfold.  I even get a little impatient when the rules get in the way of an awesome moment that could have been.  But at the end of the day, this is what I love about the game, right here.  if something awesome like an epic retelling could be sound engineered, however brief, I'd tune in.  There was at one point an effort to do just this with audio and visual and the test was stunning.  The guy who was doing it had ridiculous sets all planned out and stuff but i think the vision as awesome as it was was ultimately too much work.  but it was amaaaaaaaaaaazing and if he had done it, he was going to have me help him with scripting the voice overs.  So i would basically watch the game a couple times to get the feel of it and write up the tale that transpired in the same basic vain as these.  

I loved the radio version of Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.  All that stuff.  Do we know who will be onsite and covering the LVO?

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I used to listen to the Bad Dice Podcast, which focuses on WHFB and then AoS. But after one of the original two hosts left, it quickly devolved into repeated inside jokes and other morning drive time radio type “comedy.”

Haven’t bothered to listen to it in years.

Bad Dice used to be my go to podcast for WHFB, along with Garage Hammer. I don't think they have put out an episode since 2017 or 2016 though.

3 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

are they covering LVO live or do we know who is?

Mitch from Best In Faction got a head injury (he does construction, he is part of the MUGU legion near Seattle) so he won't be in the big tournament, but Colin will be. Adam from the Best General is going as well. 

Just now, Lyraeus said:

They won't be. GW is doing the broadcasting. They are spending a lot

REALLY?  That is super interesting.  So what medium are they using?  Streaming I assume but on what platform and through whom?  I wonder if it will be taped for later broadcast as well?  Players obviously cant watch while they are playing.  

1 minute ago, Lord Hanaur said:

REALLY?  That is super interesting.  So what medium are they using?  Streaming I assume but on what platform and through whom?  I wonder if it will be taped for later broadcast as well?  Players obviously cant watch while they are playing.  

Twitch most likely. I would have to do some research but they will likely aim to get on the Twitch Front Page like Charity Hammer did

7 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

99% it is on GW's twitch channel. Which is why all models in the top 8 must be gw only. No 3rd party on camera.

Oooooooh.  Makes sense.  Mine are all gw.  In fact, been working on and repairing models all night long.

First time in 14 years that Aun'Va will actually have a staff in his hand, my sniper drones will have antennae on and first time in 8 yearss that the stingwings will have all their wings and heads on.   Damn things come off and its metal, so...  but today I hit the loose ones w epoxy so yeah.  Not coming off now!

I even put washers under all the drones since sniper drones etc... are all so top heavy and tip over.  Should help a lot.  I also weighted down the Supremacy Railguns w lead shot to get them to balance better.

• Like 1

Another question if anyone knows.  Lets say the round starts at 1 and you're doing a timed game.  The rules say that the game starts when the first dice is rolled, presumably for sides.

Becuase of going over terrain and the like however, this will cause your timed game to end past the time the round ends...

In this case, what do you do at LVO?

This is somewhat handled by the other rule that says if BOTH players have less than 10 minutes left then the game also ends, but it could still be over...  Does LVO just let it play to the end or are there actual specific LVO Non-beta rules going on/

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Another question if anyone knows.  Lets say the round starts at 1 and you're doing a timed game.  The rules say that the game starts when the first dice is rolled, presumably for sides.

Becuase of going over terrain and the like however, this will cause your timed game to end past the time the round ends...

In this case, what do you do at LVO?

This is somewhat handled by the other rule that says if BOTH players have less than 10 minutes left then the game also ends, but it could still be over...  Does LVO just let it play to the end or are there actual specific LVO Non-beta rules going on/

Remember rolling dice includes setting deployment 

Terrain should be defined by the packet

7 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Remember rolling dice includes setting deployment 

So you roll to see who chooses deployment and bam, they win...  its their turn.  Then they select their zone...  and bam its my turn to deploy.  So as long as we get to the table and roll for that right away we will be in a normal turn order i guess.  It forces you to do that before placing objectives or picking secondaries UNLESS you get their early(no guarantee, given the vast sea of people and armies).  Thats where the problem is: declaring terrain and warlord etc...  comes before that roll.   Hope its set up well so getting to tables is easy.  🙂

3 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Well picking warlord traits and relics happen pregame before dice are rolled so there is that. While people pick their traits and relics, have a terrain discussion. 

Then you roll for deployment and time starts 

The recent article on Frontline gaming says the Tau Empire might be a dark horse to cause trouble if the right general comes along.  Couldn't help but think "hey...why not me?"  hehehe.

My list is unusual.  It can pump about 202 STR 5 shots out at a time which is handy vs. orks that "Jump" me early.  Against Knights, it's got a lot of weapons that will be able to wound a Knight on 4's, in some cases 3's.

Biggest concern is that i go second almost like clock work.  No getting around it, all my plans have to assume it, because of my number of units.  Just so many drops, 24 I think.  neither orks nor Knights will have more than that.  =(  I've had great success against Knights with this list however so its Altaioc and orks i gotta git gud against.

13 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

The recent article on Frontline gaming says the Tau Empire might be a dark horse to cause trouble if the right general comes along.  Couldn't help but think "hey...why not me?"  hehehe.

My list is unusual.  It can pump about 202 STR 5 shots out at a time which is handy vs. orks that "Jump" me early.  Against Knights, it's got a lot of weapons that will be able to wound a Knight on 4's, in some cases 3's.

Biggest concern is that i go second almost like clock work.  No getting around it, all my plans have to assume it, because of my number of units.  Just so many drops, 24 I think.  neither orks nor Knights will have more than that.  =(  I've had great success against Knights with this list however so its Altaioc and orks i gotta git gud against.

Focus on killing a thing or killing more and holding a thing. Worry about secondaries as the game progresses. You are likely not going to be tabled quickly but remember things like Genestealers are a thing and they will multi charge you

3 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Focus on killing a thing or killing more and holding a thing. Worry about secondaries as the game progresses. You are likely not going to be tabled quickly but remember things like Genestealers are a thing and they will multi charge you

You kinda wanna pick secondaries that you can score easily. Reaper, kingslayer, etc.