Vanguard Primaris marines: where I detach plz?

Sgt. Rock

So I just cracked open my very own copy of Shadowspear! Yay! I recall reading that the new Vanguard Primaris marines will be accessible in normal Codex: Space Marines armies. Battlescribe (for what it's worth, which is probably not much) agrees; it includes the new units, but lists them under the Space Marines list, it doesn't give them a separate rules set for a detachment like, for example, Legion of the Damned. But I can't find anywhere in the little mini codex that says they can be part of a regular marine detachment. Maybe I'm just missing it? There's a lot of fluff and bother in there, so I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb yet, but if I'm suddenly going to have to use these guys as a patrol detachment because they only put one effing troops choice in the box, I'mma be a little miffed. 

All that matters is the Faction Keywords. Those, not the place they were published, determine the limits on Detachment creation. Since the Vanguard Primaris Units have the Adeptus Astartes and <Chapter> Keywords, you can include them in a Detachment from the regular SM Codex, in which all Units (except for a few Chapter-specific ones) have those Keywords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 9:11 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

So I just cracked open my very own copy of Shadowspear! Yay! I recall reading that the new Vanguard Primaris marines will be accessible in normal Codex: Space Marines armies. Battlescribe (for what it's worth, which is probably not much) agrees; it includes the new units, but lists them under the Space Marines list, it doesn't give them a separate rules set for a detachment like, for example, Legion of the Damned. But I can't find anywhere in the little mini codex that says they can be part of a regular marine detachment. Maybe I'm just missing it? There's a lot of fluff and bother in there, so I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb yet, but if I'm suddenly going to have to use these guys as a patrol detachment because they only put one effing troops choice in the box, I'mma be a little miffed. 

Fyi the legion of the damned picked up their own detachment in like an faq or chapter approved so that they could be used with out breaking chapter tactics much like the assassins...

2 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Right, like, you can take a Vanguard detachment that doesn't require an HQ and consists just of them with no penalties, but you get no CP from it, right?

No, all detachments require an HQ as far as I know. A Patrol detachment is 1 HQ and 2 troops for no CP 

Legion of the Damned are special. You can't take them in a normal detachment, they get their own special detachment. I don't have the index, but according to Battlescribe: 

Saviours From Beyond: So long as your Warlord is from the IMPERIUM, you can include this unit in a Vanguard Detachment even if that Detachment contains no HQ units. However, if you do so, that Detachment's Command Benefits are changed to 'None'. 

LotD can't be included in a normal detachment of anything, and they don't have any HQ choices, just "Damned Legionnaires" which are an Elites choice.

9 hours ago, WestRider said:

Sisters of Silence work that way too, I believe.

Yes and no. They can do this, but there is also a valid HQ for them in the Astra Militarum codex. Their shared faction keyword is Astra Telepathica.