Nephren-Ka's OFCC Project Log

So it looks like I’ll be attending the OFCC and have every intent of assembling and painting an Ogre army by that time.  I’ll be using this blog to keep me on task, and will do my best to provide regular updates and work in progress pics. Your encouragement is always appreciated as this will be quite an undertaking for me as I have not painted anything substantial for several years. I have included a preliminary list below as I need to get that sorted out before I can start. I have not kitted out my hero and lord choices yet, so feedback in that area would be great. Looking primarily for feedback as to how this list might rate and your general impressions. I have never played Ogres before, so any advice would be appreciated.

Slaughtermaster- Lvl 4, Heavens Lore, Gruts Sickle (possibly)

Bruiser- BSB

Butcher- Lvl 1, Maw Lore, Dispel Scroll

Iron Guts (9) – FC, Banner of discipline

Bulls (8) – FC, additional hw, ironfists

Leadbelchers (4) – musician

Leadbelchers (4) - musician

Mournfang (4) – FC, ironfists, Dragonhide banner

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Giant

Ironblaster

Stonehorn

And because I'm feeling particularly splendid today imho this would be a "perfect" OFCC ogre list

Tyrant, Heavy armor, Great Weapon

Bruiser, BSB, heavy armour, iron fist

Butcher, lvl 2, maw, dispel scroll

Firebelly

50 gnoblars

10 gnoblar trappers

5 bulls iron fists,FC

5 Bulls iron fists, FC

6 iron guts, FC

4 Ythees

Sabre tusk

Sabre tusk

4 leadbelchers

2 mournfangs

Giant

Stone horn

Iron blaster.

It's good, has multiple victory conditions and will provide a solid 50/50 game in multiple scenarios.

• Like 2

I don't see anything too powerful about your list.  You don't spam anything, you bring a giant (WOO!), and you aren't overloading on unkillable characters.  Looks like you would give a good game, but have weaknesses.  Depending on what items you bring, I'd rate this aound a 3.4.  It could be softer, but it's far from waac or optimization.  

For the characters I'd go for defense.  A ward on the wizard for some combat and miscast protection, and a decent save on the BsB to keep those rerolls around.  If you brought beasts I'd suggest making the characters more fighty, but with heavens I think defense is the way to go on them.

On the bulls, can you use both ironfits and the extra hand weapon, or can you only take one?

I really like your list with a few minor tweaks!

Here are my suggestions:

1) Crown of Command on your Slaughermaster

2) Why the level 1 gut magic and not a firebelly?  That breath weapon helps out a ton in melee, and the fireball helps get in extra wound on your foes and gives you a magic missile for ethereal units.

2) Defensive Items on your BS- such as glittering scales

3) Take the ironfists off your bulls- you won't get the benefit in hand to hand (it'll also give you points to help buff up your characters)

4) Why are you taking 4 leadbelchers?  If they lose a single model they are taking a LD test and if they run and don't regroup you lose more points.  This will also give your more points to spend on a few other things.

5) WIth the points saved from above suggestions, you may have enough for a gorger or possibly two gorgers.  I believe these to be extremely underestimated and underrated.  They aren't easy to use; however, I've seen them do many wonderful things in many games.

6) If you're not a fan of gorgers, I strongly suggest a unit of 4 maneaters.  These things can be nuts with scouts, stubborn, and brace of ogre pistols.

The ironguts and mornfang (with the banner) smash a lot of things.  Lore of Heavens is a GREAT option for ogres.  It makes them hit!  That's key with the ironguts.  Too many times, I've seen them swing away and miss with 60% or more of their attacks.  Learn how to redirect with your sabretusks and support/counter charge with your stonehorn and you should do fine.  The giant is no joke either.  I like him in your list because he's a threat which can't be ignored.  He's still a monster, causes terror, can destroy things if not killed by the initial attacks of your enemy, and can be good at picking up points on large targets.  Don't be discourges when your bulls don't do what you think they would in combat.  By that, I mean, don't think they are better than most core choices when it comes to hitting and wounding things.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll add a little input regarding my decisions for the above list although I remains open to suggestions for changes

HeroZero- I'd like to avoid yhetees if at all possible, as the models are underwhelming and I'm on a tight budget. Also, part of my desire to field ogres was to paint this in a timely fashion while avoiding having to lug around hordes of models, so the gnoblars weren't top of my list. I'd definately consider throwing in a unit or two of trappers. I'm open to the idea of down-sizing my bull and irongut units to avoid the infamous gutstar and avoid all the flak that that entails. This may be a premature statement, but ogres seem to have only so many options for units and some of the comp systems (swedish in particular) seem to target the most viable options. Thanks for taking the time to provide an alternate list.

Rudra- I think I may be mistaken about the additional hand weapon and ironfist combo, and I'll certainly be kitting out my characters for survivability

MexicanNinja- Not taking the crown was my limited attempt to avoid kitting out my characters with all the expected goodies, but I may have to rethink that. Certainly going to avoid the hellheart and runemaw. As for the ironfists, I was under the impression that it counts as a shield and provides a parry save, which sounds awfully good with little to no armor save. Rudra hit the nail on the head regarding the lvl 1 caster. I like the idea of heavens for various reasons, including those stated, and the comet has always done right by me. The units of four leadbelcher are intended to clear out chaff and would allow me to direct my attention to multiple targets and not just saturate fire at one unit. I like the idea of throwing in a gorger for taking out warmachines, just need to look for an alternate model (maybe a crypt horror).

Iraf- Thanks, I was kind of fond of it and I just happen to have most of the models.

Yes, the ironfist gives a parry save; however, you also have additional hand weapons which means you won't ge the shield in melee.  Take one or the other but not both.  As for avoiding kitting out your characters.  If you took the crown of command, I don't think anyone would complain.  Your characters are far from kitted out.

I've yet to see an ogre list that is

"Great hunt" themed with hunters, trappers, big sabretusks, stone horns it would be elite as hell!

Well, you got me thinking. Ive already purchased most of what I need for a more traditional list, but if I had more time for conversion work and money to make some additional purchases I would definitely take up that thrown gauntlet. I'd name it the Pequod Tribe, and it would look a little something like this (unfortunately I couldn't squeeze in another hunter on foot to join the sabretusks and have about 72pts remaining):

Lords

Slaughtermaster- lvl 4, Lore of the Great Maw, dispel scroll, talisman of preservation, gold sigil sword, ironcurse icon

Heroes (700pts)

Bruiser- BSB, gambler's armor, luckstone
Hunter- stonehorn, harpoon launcher,glittering scales
Hunter

Core

Gnoblar trappers (10)- musician
Ogres (8) - musician, standard, ironfists

Special

Mournfang Cavalry (4) - ironfists, hvy armor, banner, musician, Dragonhide Banner
Sabretusks (4)
Sabretusk 
Sabretusk 
Yhetees (3)

Rare 

Ironblaster 
Stonehorn - Harpoon Launcher

(alternatively, it could have leadbelchers with harpoons or a great white thundertusk)

Hell yes a great white thunder tusk!

You could easily fit another hunter in the list probably two with some point adjusting.

Way too mucho in.magic items,

Ogres don't need champs,

Ythees could be lead belchers with harpoon guns. For sure.

Gauntlet thrown yo!

You could field a giant with Maori esque tattoos named queequeg

Made some changes to the list above, really tempted to make this happen. Do I go with the White Mammoth Tribe or something similar to my original build? Folks, please weigh in. Which would you prefer to play against at OFCC

Pros- fluffy, seems fun to play, in keeping with the spirit of OFCC

Cons- Never played ogres before, may be limiting myself too much, additional purchases

Well, you got me thinking. Ive already purchased most of what I need for a more traditional list, but if I had more time for conversion work and money to make some additional purchases I would definitely take up that thrown gauntlet. I'd name it the Pequod Tribe, and it would look a little something like this (unfortunately I couldn't squeeze in another hunter on foot to join the sabretusks and have about 72pts remaining):

Lords

Slaughtermaster- lvl 4, Lore of the Great Maw, dispel scroll, talisman of preservation, gold sigil sword, ironcurse icon

Heroes (700pts)

Bruiser- BSB, gambler's armor, luckstone
Hunter- stonehorn, harpoon launcher,glittering scales
Hunter

Core

Special

Mournfang Cavalry (4) - ironfists, hvy armor, banner, musician, Dragonhide Banner
Sabretusks (4)
Sabretusk 
Sabretusk 
Yhetees (3)

Rare 

Ironblaster 
Stonehorn - Harpoon Launcher

(alternatively, it could have leadbelchers with harpoons or a great white thundertusk)

This is a bad list. I would judge it as too weak for the OFCC. Hero's list is the way to go. 

This is a bad list. I would judge it as too weak for the OFCC. Hero's list is the way to go. 

That's about as direct a response as I could ask for, duly noted and thanks. I went back to my original list and incorporated some of the feedback (i.e. toned it down). I like it well enough, and I went with the FC on the bulls because I had the extra points although I might drop the champs for another sabretusk:

Lords
    * Slaughtermaster- lvl 4, lore of heavens, crown of command, gold sigil sword, tal of preservation
Heroes
    * Bruiser- BSB, great weapon, armor of silver steel, luckstone
    * Butcher- lvl 1, lore of great maw, great weapon, dispel scroll, opal amulet, ironcurse amulet
Core
    * Ironguts (6)- FC, Standard of Discipline 
    * Ogres (6)- FC, ironfists
    * Ogres (6)- FC, ironfists
Special
   * Gorger 
   * Leadbelchers (4)- musician
    * Mournfang Cavalry (3) - FC, ironfists, hvy armor,Banner of Eternal Flame 
    * Sabretusk Pack (1)
    * Sabretusk Pack (1)
Rare
    * Giant 
    * Ironblaster 
    * Stonehorn -Harpoon Launcher

A ton in characters for sure, and swap the flame banner for gleaming pendant. It's money.

I think that you should work on your character load out too. It's needlessly spendy in some areas.

I have to disagree.  That dragonhide banner helps greatly with the bounce effect.  I would get that banner back into that unit.  The list looks good to me; however, like I just stated, I'd get thet dragonhide banner back in the list.

Ogre wizards are restricted from taking magical armor, correct? Reading through some forums and folks were making the argument that being able to take an ironfist made magical armor allowed. I'll definately shift around some points and see what I can come up with to allow for the dragonhide banner. Please tell me that the gorger is worth its 90pts.

Okay, I went a little crazy with the armor but it seemed like a better deal than talismans. Points total is 2799. So is this list approaching middle of the road? 

Lords

* Slaughtermaster- lvl 4, lore of heavens, crown of command, gold sigil sword, armor of fortune

Heroes

* Bruiser- BSB, great weapon, armor of silver steel, luckstone

* Butcher- lvl 1, lore of great maw, dispel scroll, gambler's armor

Core

* Ironguts (6)- FC, Standard of Discipline 

* Ogres (6)- standard, musician, ironfists

* Ogres (6)- standard, musician,  ironfists

Special

* Gorger 

* Mournfang Cavalry (3) - FC, ironfists, hvy armor,Dragonhide Banner