Adulting merit badges

scottshoemaker

The confusion stems from “mind” having a similar sound to several more commonly used words, like “find” or “grind.” “Find” and “grind” are both irregular verbs which means they get turned into past tense form with irregular endings, becoming “found” and “ground.” But “mind” is actually a regular verb, so it gets turned into past tense by the regular “-ed / -d / -‘d” ending. “Mind” becomes “minded.”

This is largely “mind” is relatively new as a verb. My Oxford English Dictionary says its origin was "[f]ormed within English, by conversion.” Which is highfalutin’ dictionary talk for the noun “mind” came first, and the verb “mind” was derived from the noun. Verbs that are derived from nouns cannot be irregular verbs. In fact, there is no real way for modern English to develop new irregular verbs. They're pretty much all inherited from Anglo-Saxon or even older Proto-Germanic verbs, because in those ancestral languages to modern English ALL verbs were effectively irregular verbs. 

English really isn’t that screwy, it has rules and those rules do have internal consistency and logic. The problem is that the vast majority of English-speakers are never taught what the rules are.

James Nicoll’s quote is funny, but it really only applies to developments in the English language starting in the 18th Century (and not really gaining traction until the 20th Century).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Yes, yes, I get all that. But it's the -ded sound at the end. It feels weird and awkward and stuttery and I don't much care for it. 

Like when people say "drownded" for the past tense of drown. I want to slap them, but have resisted the urge thus far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1