Interested in 9th age, a few questions

So I'm interested in getting into 9th age, so that I have something new to tinker with during this wretched pandemic. I think I want to play Dwarven Holds. Any recommendations in general for a new general looking to start a war? Also, I noticed the 9th Age website includes links to some websites that sell 3D printer files for models, what's the general consensus on 3D printing an army? I know that 9A is model agnostic, but I want to make sure that nobody would be salty if I showed up with a (nicely) 3D printed (and painted) army.

• Like 1

Hello! So as far as Dwarves go, I'll leave the real advice to some of our locals that actually play them ( @TheBeninator, @Jason), but my impression of the army from my limited research (and the one time I played them) is that there are an army that can do almost anything that you build the army towards, but you might struggle to have everything in the army, due to it's elite nature. They have some of the best combat characters in the game, scary blocks of troops, quality shooting, great magic defense (an the ability to have a good magic phase themselves)... you can certainly have a very well rounded army, or you can lean in hard into combat or shooting if that's a route you want to go.

As far as 3D printed models, while I can't speak for everyone, I'd be willing to wager one of my armies (not the Ogres, take the Warriors!) that you'll never have anyone object to 3D printed models. I simply can't imagine a scenario that someone would (I certainly wouldn't). On the contrary, I think you would get a lot of praise for bringing an army that's not just a ported over Warhammer army. 

• Thanks 2

I highly recommend the Oathmark dwarves from North Star Figures as far as models go, if you’re looking for something a lot less cartoony than the offerings from Mantic Games or Games Workshop’s few remaining WHFB kits that they’ve ported over to AoS. 

I also highly recommend the Oathmark game itself, but that’s even more off topic.

13 minutes ago, Ish said:

I highly recommend the Oathmark dwarves from North Star Figures as far as models go, if you’re looking for something a lot less cartoony than the offerings from Mantic Games or Games Workshop’s few remaining WHFB kits that they’ve ported over to AoS. 

I have the Oathmark Goblins, and I think they are really good for the price. Not quite as detailed as some other miniatures, but way less cartoony than GW and definitely more affordable. I've always thought Mantic's dwarves were the WORST.

I am printing my entire next army, so no salt. In fact, I think most people would be happy to not see GW on the table. Its not a game that produces new models and forces players to buy them to keep up in the arms race meta, so there is no "I paid the extra $$ to play this at a high level, and you are just proxying trash" mentalities. 

Mantic's dwarves are awful, I got a few units of theirs, they have ranking issues.

Andrew describes dwarves pretty well. Very elite, you can go between gunline and full combat, with mixed arms being the nice in between. The big downside to the army is that they all advance slow, which is to say you typically dont get the luxury of charging your opponent (they charge you). Their magic phase is boring, period. It is certainly not useless, but there is not a lot of thinking or strategy to it.

Print the army! Do it!

• Like 3

Good to know! To be fair, GW models are beautiful, and readily available, if expensive. They do make it a bit more accessible, especially for factions that are so heavily based on a WHFB faction like Lizardmen. But I'm working on getting my printer dialed in and getting some stuff to finish the models nicely, I only have an FDM printer, so they'll never be as nice as I'd like them to be. I debated Orcs & Goblins, as well, but I'm leaning towards Dwarves at the moment. That could change, though. What's the standard size of most games? Just so I know what to aim for in terms of how many models to have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Good to know! To be fair, GW models are beautiful, and readily available, if expensive. They do make it a bit more accessible, especially for factions that are so heavily based on a WHFB faction like Lizardmen. But I'm working on getting my printer dialed in and getting some stuff to finish the models nicely, I only have an FDM printer, so they'll never be as nice as I'd like them to be. I debated Orcs & Goblins, as well, but I'm leaning towards Dwarves at the moment. That could change, though. What's the standard size of most games? Just so I know what to aim for in terms of how many models to have.

Standard size game for 9th Age is 4500 points. Armies tend to be slightly smaller than a 2500 points WHFB 8th edition army, since the points for 9th Age have been roughly doubled from those of WHFB.

16 hours ago, Ish said:

Even the ancient eM4 Miniatures mono-pose dwarves look better than the Mantic ones...  and they cost about 25¢ a piece! 

@IshI plan on doing a basic dwarf army with these guys someday.

@Sgt. Rock anything but GW is awesome to see on a table so print away! I love seeing different models on the table. My only concern is when people go too abstract and it’s hard to tell what the model is supposed to represent. Not a big problem with dwarves but demon legions can be confusing at times to play against. Definitely look forward to having you join our community. I personally love how 9th age has made a well balanced game that Is great for tournaments and campaigns. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I debated Orcs & Goblins, as well, but I'm leaning towards Dwarves at the moment.

Just as another little plug for Oathmark, but it’s totally possible to do both Orcs and Dwarves in the same army over there!  

I'm in the process of building a dark elf army for 9th that's a mix of 3d printed unit fillers gw models and raging heroes so I dont think the 3d part is an issue.  I'm also learning the game so if you ever want to play a smaller game with a total noob let me know 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pecksata said:

@IshI plan on doing a basic dwarf army with these guys someday.

@Sgt. Rock anything but GW is awesome to see on a table so print away! I love seeing different models on the table. My only concern is when people go too abstract and it’s hard to tell what the model is supposed to represent. Not a big problem with dwarves but demon legions can be confusing at times to play against. Definitely look forward to having you join our community. I personally love how 9th age has made a well balanced game that Is great for tournaments and campaigns. 

Don’t like abstract? You are going to hate my next army project 😇

• Confused 1