To necron players, to new monolith, or not to new monolith?

Brother Glacius

I'm a long time necron player, and until recently, I owned most of the necron collection. As I am not independently wealthy, I'm having to pick and choose where to update my army. I currently own a monolith...and its painted even (full disclosure, not by me). I was interested in getting the new one, but that price tag has shut that down. I have not seen a side by side comparison between the old and new models yet...still looking. But I was wondering what other existing necron players were doing. While the new model is nice, it doesn't seem to be a huge difference from the old one (again, haven't seen an actual side by side). Opinions? Also, what units are you looking at getting? I nabbed some of the new heavy destroyers because they are fantastic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ish said:

For what it's worth (all 0.000002 cents) I think the older Monolith looks a lot more intimidating.  

Agreed. The new one has cool details, but doesn't cut the same imposing figure. It would be fun to kitbash those two though.

Use the old hull, but use the center section of the new one for the portal. The new weapon emplacements too. 

Then hide LEDs all over it....mmmm...t'would be fun.

The partially teleported Warrior in the portal on the new one is a great effect, a real neat sculpting trick, but it just doesn't look very "portal-y" to me. Maybe I watched too much Stargate SG-1, but the rippled effect on the old kit just appeals to me more. All the new Necron stuff is also missing the translucent green plastic details, which really helped set the look of the range apart from anything else on the market. 

The new Monolith is not a bad model and I can understand why people like it. But the old one is just a classic.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ish said:

The partially teleported Warrior in the portal on the new one is a great effect, a real neat sculpting trick, but it just doesn't look very "portal-y" to me. Maybe I watched too much Stargate SG-1, but the rippled effect on the old kit just appeals to me more. All the new Necron stuff is also missing the translucent green plastic details, which really helped set the look of the range apart from anything else on the market. 

The new Monolith is not a bad model and I can understand why people like it. But the old one is just a classic.

Yeah I decided to embark on installing LEDs in lightsabers for Star Wars: Legion. Ended up finding 60 feet of various colors of acrylic rod for $10 online. That's enough to do about 720 lightsabers (which is slightly more than I intend to do).

Never been more tempted to snatch up cheap Necrons and do each squad with different color rod.

• Like 2

Way back when the green rod Necrons were still brand new, a friend of mine ordered a similarly large amount of acrylic rod in a translucent orange-red. Even with the bog standard gunmetal dry-brush over black primer paint job, it totally changed the look of the army.

• Like 1

I sold off the 2k of necrons I had inherited from a friend back during the dark days of 40k. Recently I thought it would look super cool to cut a monolith along every panel line then re-assemble it with a tiny gap 1/32"ish between all panels. Then make a bundle of LEDs in the middle that would seep out from the gaps--rather than doing the typical edge lining/pin washing process that sane but patient people would do.

But I done sold 'em all...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think GW just dropped a turd with this one. If the model had been at least 10-15% bigger than the old one, I might have considered it...but wow..a LoW choice and that price tag....no thank you. I have a monolith, so I don't need another one, literally. They could have kept that in heavy support. Oh well, saved me some money. 🙂

• Haha 1