Community Gaming Space Interest Survey

blackvigil

On 9/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, blackvigil said:

I'm doing some market research for a business plan that might be of interest to Ordo members. If you have a moment, take this quick survey. I'll likely do more granular research down the road, but this is the big picture stuff. 
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TVTXHHQ

what your describing sounds a lot like the current WOW clubhouse.

• Like 1

It's based on some of the European private gaming club models, or the MWG Bunker, sort of... 
I have been playing games in this area for decades, and I've found that I really don't enjoy most shops. There is the tacit idea that you should be buying, and they are always geared toward revenue. This idea is that players could support a nice place to game, that isn't focused on selling you things, just the gaming community. My initial research and anecdotal discussions with lots of nerds I know point toward this being a model that would have some popularity, but many people aren't' willing to pay for something they think they can get for free. aka, why go to the nice club house for a monthly subscription when you can go down to the Batcave, or whatever. I'm not trying to cast shade at those shops, or the WOW clubhouse, but the space I have in mind is definitely a more upscale and refined, catering to a much wider audience. Board gamers, CCG gamers, Wargamers, Role players, etc. 

It may be that this isn't viable, given lease costs, and the need to actually staff the location. Given the need for initial investment, it would need to stay afloat, and pay back the opening costs. It's not a simple endeavor. Other business models are definitely being explored, but my goal is to be the change I wish to see in the world. 

The WOW clubhouse fills the niche, but let’s face it… It’s also got that Cluttered Musty Basement Aesthetic, which while an authentic part of geek culture isn’t exactly the most broadly appealing. Something that was more, well, “upscale” might not be the right word, but it’s all I can think of. 

I’d love to see a similar gaming/community space opening that wasn’t a game shop… More options for the consumer are always a good thing.

This does seem like a challenging project, but I wish you well (and if the Power Ball breaks my way, I’ll happily invest).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ish said:

The WOW clubhouse fills the niche, but let’s face it… It’s also got that Cluttered Musty Basement Aesthetic, which while an authentic part of geek culture isn’t exactly the most broadly appealing.

I understand that feeling, and kind of agree. However, I'll take a dive bar over a fancy place any day. No judgement for others that prefer something more refined.

3 hours ago, Ish said:

The WOW clubhouse fills the niche, but let’s face it… It’s also got that Cluttered Musty Basement Aesthetic, which while an authentic part of geek culture isn’t exactly the most broadly appealing. Something that was more, well, “upscale” might not be the right word, but it’s all I can think of. 

However, WoW's lease price is right. Keeps membership and game night costs very cheap. As much space as we have, compared to sqft elsewhere would be staggering (especially in Portland cost of living standards). It does help that WoW is also run by volunteers.

Back on topic, 

Interested to see how this works out. I would think paying 'more' for a venue rather than buying product would be a wash? I mean, if I have to pay $10 to get into a place to play (to cover the lease), then I'd rather buy products from a store more frequently. Most of these higher end setups also sell products, drinks, and such? I get the feeling there's a cost comparison between store or your venue. I could see certain game types suffer from this. Just walking into a game store to play a 3hr session of D&D wouldn't help a store much, even if you bought a few minis. Trying to be open minded, but seems like this idea might cater to a small market, and that might hurt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so jealous of the folks local to the clubhouse, I'm up in Tacoma and have never been. I even planned to make the pilgrimage down this summer just to check it out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sure to unforseen circumstances.

The big kicker on your deal, for me, would be location. There are some killer stores/cafes for our niche already that I don't go to because they're too far away. I actually get excited when life drags me south because it's an excuse to check out Gabby's.

TLDR:

I'd be interested depending on location and price. Realistically I'd only actually go a couple times a year though probably.

• Like 3