Silly psyker question

intrizic

Because they have been fighting psyker racies since the beginning of time?? you think if they can harness the power of a freaking star, they might have come up with a few ways to nullify psychic abilities? I don't know...maybe? Hey look, they keep C'tan on leashes....how about enslaving some psychic race to provide defense?

1) Gloom Prism

2) Psychic isn't an advanced science. You can't just R&D a psychic device. :)

Realistically, it's timing. I'd like to have seen Necrons get some resistances like Dwarves in Fantasy. Bonus deny the witch dice, etc. Gloom prism sucks really.

Gloom Prism is basically as good as any ML 1 Psyker with a 6" bubble effect (Hoods are 12" now).

Necrons get on average what? 2 to 3 less dice their opponent at Dispelling (1 or 2 Pysker in your opponent's army). Thats NOT a huge disadvantage when you are an army with no souls and no psykers.thematically. 

Now what you are complaining about is the armies with 10+ power Dice, but in that regards you are just as screwed as any other army with 1 or 2 Psyker.

The gloom prism is only 3" from model with it, so it is not that great....but honestly  Physic powers are not that strong...so no issues with not having a defense.

Did you see power #6 in the Santic Daemonology? Fickin' Destroyer Vortex weapon. And it's an assault weapon to top it off.

So, your lucky (lucky for rolling that power) mastery level 1 psyker can drop pod and place a vortex D weapon in your deployment area on turn 1.

They also changed the witchfire powers to being able to fire as many as you have, instead of 1 per non-MC and 2 per MC. I can now field a psyker at level 4 with 4x shooting powers and a ranged weapon and fire all in one turn.

EDIT: One note for necrons is that a good chunk of powers can't target flyers. Necrons also have a good number of abilities that are as powerful as psychic powers, but require no tests and opponent has very limited solutions against (entrophic strike, in example).

Did you see power #6 in the Santic Daemonology? Fickin' Destroyer Vortex weapon. And it's an assault weapon to top it off.

So, your lucky (lucky for rolling that power) mastery level 1 psyker can drop pod and place a vortex D weapon in your deployment area on turn 1.

They also changed the witchfire powers to being able to fire as many as you have, instead of 1 per non-MC and 2 per MC. I can now field a psyker at level 4 with 4x shooting powers and a ranged weapon and fire all in one turn.

EDIT: One note for necrons is that a good chunk of powers can't target flyers. Necrons also have a good number of abilities that are as powerful as psychic powers, but require no tests and opponent has very limited solutions against (entrophic strike, in example).

Your level 1 psyker has 1 WC and then D6 to cast that WC 3 spell. If he fails, it goes off on him. Good luck with that.

that guy has a 15% chance of getting that spell then needs generate 5 dice (plus his 1) to have a 50% chance of getting that off.

sorry not too scary to me.  Now if you go physiker heavy that improves, but then you are spending mega points.

• Like 1

that guy has a 15% chance of getting that spell then needs generate 5 dice (plus his 1) to have a 50% chance of getting that off.

sorry not too scary to me.  Now if you go physiker heavy that improves, but then you are spending mega points.

Agree that odds of getting the power are low. I did say lucky.

As for casing, getting 5 dice just means rolling a 4 for warp charge and being level 1. Not exactly very difficult.

I was just responding to the comment that the psychic powers are not strong, which I think it incorrect. They are strong, just unreliable as you pointed out. I do think they are something to watch out for, especially if playing an all-comers list.

Unless you are Grey knights you have perils on any double too!

Completely true, though perils doesn't prevent the power from casting and, especially, that vortex may make that brain-fried psyker well worth it. Dunno, it's all very contextual.

I am curious how daemon players are going to start making lists, what with a psychic power to turn your heralds into greater daemons...for 95pts a level 3 herald of tzeentch with 50:50 odds of snagging a power to turn him into a 170-250pt model.

You just finding out about Daemon farm now? :)

kinda. I did wait on the new edition and really haven't read it much. This one I've been thinking about for a bit now, I just don't really play daemons.

That said, this one is a double edged sword for the daemon players. It means starting the game with much weaker forces on the table, having to wait until turn 2 for their flying MCs to get airborne, and if they take just heralds for HQ, they can't take daemon princes in heavy slots which further limits their army.

I also think those Santic Psychic powers, especially the primaris power, will present a pretty major hinderance for daemon players (especially if combined with bad rolls on their own warp storm table).

Last, and this is more flyer related than daemons specifically, the nova psychic powers now automatically hit flyers and flying MCs in range as per the BRB, which does nerf flying flying circus lists a bit. No clue how it affects grounding tests.