Making a new Waaagh!

Threejacks

Ok so now that the new book is out and all the changes have been posted with most of the recent rumors being true I wanted to see what others are thinking will be good builds going forward.

First off,with the new Mob rule im thinking that Eavy armor is pretty much a must take on all infantry that can take it,except the obvious bikers and Manz of course and perhaps not on the large blocks of boyz 20+.So yeah all my trukk boyz will have eavy armor now rasing the cost per to around 200 pts.

Some units/combos im thinkin may be viable;

-Trukk/speed list with Bikers and possibly BW,maybe even a looted wagon or two with their low price.However with the shooting in the game I have never had much luck trying this kind of build,well ive only tried it in smaller games but from what ive seen there just isint much left of my army when its finally face time.

-Grotsnick Deathstar--BW/17x Ard Choppa boys/Wierdboy/Nob w/BC.Ive done this before(minus the weird boy) and it wrecked smurf face.Expensive though coming in at around 550 pts but taken with a CAD the boyz will be objective secure so theres that too.

-Stompa...yeah mine comes along in anything 1850 and above.

-Nob Biker Deathstar-Pretty much the same as before however now you need to use an HQ slot to get the painboy.4 Nobs with the HQ and a Biker Boss runs around 375 or so...ramp up the size for games 1500 pts and higher of course.

-Walker spam list,,this is something I want to try but unless Im allowed the forgeworld Dreadmob supplement its going to be hard to do without going Unbound,mainly due to not having force org slot switching anymore.

For a build I would probably go with Stompa,Naught(maybe 2) 4 Deff Dreads,3 groups of 2 Kans then some supporting troops to ride inside such as 2 Big Meks,2 Meks and Tank bustas(in the Stompa).If I did this unbound I would probably take only 2 Dreads and throw in another 4 kans then make all the kans units of one each.

-BW full of tankbustas-At least 10 in there with 3 squigs should make for a mobile and killy bunch.This is the only way I will field infantry that cant take Eavy armor,eiither use the BW or a fortification.

-BW full of Flash gits-Pirate ship BW of course! Probably do 10+ on these guys too and add the Kill kannon on the "Ship".This should give a solid base of shooting and can even wreck faces if needed to.Yup spendy though,throw in Baddruk and its around 500 pts.

-Manz Truk bomb--Havent ran Manz in a regular game yet,but I have used them in Apoc.I know this is a fav of many Ork players and now with the plank rules combined with the extra charge bonus from "ere we go" this pretty much guarantees someone is taking some Manz to the face!

However I think this is a one trick pony for around 170 pts unless you put an HQ and painboy with them bringing the cost up into the 300+ range which at that point I would probably go for a Nob biker star instead.

Finally theres Boyz spam which is something Ive never done as I really like the goofy contraption models that Orks have so many of.Plus the thought of moving hundreds of boys across a board just sounds friggen boring as heck and would likely annoy my opponent as well.

What other new combos are out there?

• Like 1

First off,with the new Mob rule im thinking that Eavy armor is pretty much a must take on all infantry that can take it,except the obvious bikers and Manz of course and perhaps not on the large blocks of boyz 20+.So yeah all my trukk boyz will have eavy armor now rasing the cost per to around 200 pts.

Why? It's a better idea to take more trukks than take more expensive trukks. The 4+ isn't going to make that much of a difference when for the cost you can take more trukks.

-Nob Biker Deathstar-Pretty much the same as before however now you need to use an HQ slot to get the painboy.4 Nobs with the HQ and a Biker Boss runs around 375 or so...ramp up the size for games 1500 pts and higher of course.

You can do much the same with Warboss, Painboy, 15 bikers and a Nob and get more wounds and survivability.

I still think that

Warboss with bike

Mek with Bike and KFF

6xTrukk Boys

1-3 Warbike Squads

Tons of Mek Gunz

will probably be a pretty good deal.

I think Pretre has a good idea for a list.

6 trukks will make assault, I would add in planks for the extra.

boss on bike, I think this will be boss most people use.

mek with bike and KFF will help the boss out a bunch

biker squads I think will be a good buy. I'm many ways I feel a better buy then nobs on bikes.

mek gunz are cheap

my list will go something like this

hq

warboss in a battle wagon full of boys

meks where I can fit them

troops

boys in trukks rinse repeat as many times as you can

fast attack

buggys or storm boys. Bikes are nice bit I like buggys, coptas can be fired on buy to much sky fir at full ballistic.

heavy

second battle wagon boyz or nobs

I like the idea of mek guns but orks for me are about speed so looted wagon with killcannon its a cheap scary gun and a fire magnet to keep presser off my trukks and wagons.

TW Haines

ps And if I can make it fit, grot tanks there is my grins and giggles unit. Fun silly and kinda killy.

• Like 1

Yeah Im liking the Bike lists for sure.Actually I would be tempted to just run 2 CAD`s and take 5-6 biker mobs instead of doing trukk rush.

As for my Eavy armor,it used to be you only had to deal with one wound from a bosspole now with the possibility of being much worse AND the fact that 4+ armor in CC is a huge benefit against the average melee troop type,I don't see any other way..but yeah it does cost as much as another truck or even a copta.

I don't know though..Trukk rush in 6th edition didn't work and I don't see it working any better in the current edition.I mean sure you have a better charge range with planks but that was rarely the problem..its the surviving one turn to get into charge range then surviving the overwatch,then surviving going last due to crap initiative.

Maybe if you had 9 loads of trukk boys ..but I see many armys out there that would have no problem doing 3+ trukks a turn especially with all the split fire,prescience,twin link 7+ shooting out there.

Massive bikers with their inherent cover and armor saves coupled with the speed and solid shooting seems much more viable.I would still run a Unit of Nob bikers though,probably for anti armor duty.

And yeah I have 2 grot tanks I bashed together from cheapo 1/72nd tanks kits,stil need to rivet and paint em though.I would like to run them with a mega tank though.I was also thinking that a Warkopta would be a nice addition now:)

I think the thing for me is I'm making a ork army for a speed game. Trukks to me are only there to move the troops and the ones that pop those troops will support mid table. I look at it this way orks dont stick to the table well. If I cant get in there and beat on some face then my game is lost. I want to lock people down on there side of the table with orks. Unlike my Marines who really work best mid table

My more competitive army is Iron Hands, its more of a 5th ed list. Funny thing for me is I only played in 6th and now 7th. So I dont have the best advise only what I think

My 2 cents

TW Haines

• Like 1

I'll say what I said over on Frontline:

Ok, I’m not going to defend the mob rule per se, but I really think that Orks got a lot of stuff that is really nice.

‘Ere we go is pretty freaking solid. Basically fleet-lite, really helps get into assaults. Combo that with a Waagh and Orks can assault at a blistering pace that is also fairly consistent. Stormboyz especially benefit from this as they move 12″, run 2d6, then assault 2d6 with a single re-roll. That’s about a 26″ assault range on turn two, and considering they should have moved up 19″ the first turn, that should put them in range of most things. With S4 and a power klaw, they are a threat to almost any unit in the game. 3 units of 90 with nob with pk and bp and zagstruck for the leadership re-rolls are going to run you 995 pts.

Also, the benefit of mob rule is for when orks are IN combat.

Consider, a unit of Orks that is 18 strong after taking shots from overwatch assaults a unit of grey hunters. The grey hunters mete out 9 casualties (not too off base with a wolf standard and counter attack) while the Orks do 4 casualties in return. Assume the Nob with BP lived. Now, with the last dex, the Orks get to take a test on a Ld5, then if they fail try again on a Ld4. Odds of passing? About 40%, not bad, and you probably lost a boy in the process of sticking around. But with the new rules, the odds of passing are now about 78% (need to make snake eyes, and then, when failed, 50% chance on the chart, with a reroll) and probably losing 1-2 guys from the boss pole. However, there’s about a 30% chance that the Orks don’t lose ANYONE with this bosspole.

I’m sure you’re smart enough to think of other examples, but I found that when my units got below a certain number, they were basically worthless for sticking in melee. Now? Now they’ll stick a bit better.

Now, against certain armies, mostly mechanized forces, constant tank shocks might do lots of added damage, but, seriously, if they are in tank shock range, now you get to assault them and kill them. Also, as you mentioned, fear is going to suck a LOT, but overall? I think we’re going to find it’s OK.

- See more at: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/06/28/mob-rule-will-one-of-the-worst-rules-in-40k/#sthash.ACoH3wos.dpuf
  • Like 3

I'll say what I said over on Frontline:

That's encouraging:)

Also another thing I had great success while running my Dread mob was the Painboss in a blob of 20 boys now I gave them Cybork and they were friggen "Ard as HEK" with fnp.Of course now we can do that in multiples but no invul...still may be viable to try in the 2 blobs that lead the charge.

• Like 1

Another unit that is nasty is a unit with a Warboss in mega armor joined by a unit of meganobz.  Make sure the warboss was the lukky stick so the MANz have WS5 and getting a re-roll or two per turn on that 2+ save is GOLDEN.  I could see a unit of 10 with a warboss and grotsnik being a thing.  

Get ready for the Ghaz-Star!

Ghazguhkull:  225

Grotsnik:  160

Big Mek:  155

Mega Armor, KFF, Lucky Stick, DDSS

10 Megaarmor Nobz:  400

940 pts of win!

That unit has 2 wounds each, 2+ armor, 5+ invul vs shooting, FnP, WS5 on most of the guys, Fearless, and Rampage (+d3 attacks per model if they are outnumbered!).  

The unit kicks out a serious amount of anti-infantry firepower as well, which is nice since it can't run.  

Get ready for the Ghaz-Star!

Ghazguhkull:  225

Grotsnik:  160

Big Mek:  155
  Mega Armor, KFF, Lucky Stick, DDSS

10 Megaarmor Nobz:  400

940 pts of win!

That unit has 2 wounds each, 2+ armor, 5+ invul vs shooting, FnP, WS5 on most of the guys, Fearless, and Rampage (+d3 attacks per model if they are outnumbered!).  

The unit kicks out a serious amount of anti-infantry firepower as well, which is nice since it can't run.  

So are they T5 or something? Seems like one of those cheesy riptides would put a pretty major hurt on such a unit, even if you save 1/3 with that 5++.

To me, unless you're going with Zagstruk for the guaranteed 12" Ld reroll bubble, the Finkin' Cap is a must buy.  The Strategic table is actually pretty good in 7th, and all the results minus the ruins specific one can REALLY help out Orks.  Getting two rolls on it is groovy.  For my Ork list with 3 big mobz of boyz, the potential to infiltrate all 3 and then pin 3 enemy units is so enticing!  

Can't Ghaz get the 2+ invul like all the time now with the call a waagh every turn after the first FOC?

No. Don't think so. If you run the Ork horde formation, the war boss from that formation has to be your warlord to get the call the waaagh every turn rule.

Ghaz only gets his 2+ if he's the warlord.

Starting to see some light here with all the club optimism:)

Currently im thinking that I will probably go for something along the lines of;

WB on bike/lucky stixx/pk/bp

Running with a full biker unit with a Nob/bc

Add in a Painboy here on a bike

Probably wouldn't go for the KFF Big mek here as its expensive and really I don't think its needed with the 4+ armor,cover bonus and fnp.

Then I want to run at least 20 Stormboys with Zag,nob with/BP/PK

I will also be taking my Stompa likely with at least a Mek or two inside and will probably fill him with a min unit of Tankbustas..I FINALLY get to use these guys,they are some of my favorite models I painted when I first got into the game,metal ones too:)..ill use the 2 squigs that come with it.Now that we can take the Meks separately I don't need to run the lootas in there and snap shot them all the time.May also take a stock Big mek to help with fixes...before I used the BM and 3 mekboys and I found that it was pretty much overkill in the repairs..though they were repairing on a 4+..now with the 5+ it may be more in line.Basically I either had 3 or so HP`s lost or I got gutted out 10+ in one turn...

Alongside the Stompa im thinking of Running the Morkanaut with its KFF,this will give me some protection for both and a boost to the Ap2 coverage that Orks have issues with.Together they are over half my points in a 2k list but should help to draw some fire away from the bikers and boyz trying to get into face time.Plus both of these guys will rip your face off in CC so go ahead and DS ..saves me some walking time.

Ive thought about just doing some 30 strong Blobs with Painboys but really that just works out like it did before with the KFF cover and overall it didn't work in 6th and its not going to work well now especially with the potential for additional losses through mob rule.Really I don't see massed boys having much of a chance now without something that makes them fearless all the time such as that Warlord trait or Ghazzy,or that special trinket.Sure you can put down 200+ boyz and will probably have a fair amount of success but it just seems annoying as hell to play and im sure the opponent wont be thrilled either.

However Using a single group of Ardboy shootas in the 20+ size range with a Painboy and a couple of BS may be a thing.

Now that lobbas are dirt cheap..yeah group of 5 ..doing it!.I love my AM Wyverns and must run the Ork version.

Mega nob Trukk bomb..min size with the BP ,thnx for the tip Fluger:)

The new Blitza bomber is a much needed change,,well on the bomb that is.Now its actually pretty sweet.str7 ap2 armorbane large blast.With bombs only scattering d6 its pretty much an auto hit on average size vehicles...side armor too.So you can pretty much count on an average glance on av14 with a pen giving the +1 and theres NOTHING your opponent can do about it due to interceptor fire happening at the end of movement and the bomb drop happens during movement.So castled up Crysis or Broadside suits?...here take str 7 hits and get your cover from the middle of it,enjoy:)

Also like cheap ass Deffkoptas would probably spam them if they could take a boss pole but as it stands now I will try to fill in with them as singles so I can have some objective grabbers floating around.

I would like to try Snikrot with his boyz too but I need to do some conversions and probably buys at least one box of Kommandos.Seems nice to be able to come in from any board edge.

Gonna be interesting to see what formations are released in the Ghaz supplement I would still like to try an all walker list,heh.

• Like 1

buggies and coptas gona see alot of both I think. Meganobs are a solid buy better then termies, with killsaws and 2 wounds, Lack of a invul save is the only down side, at 40 points there a steal.

Dont know about trukks to move maganobs with. Thinking the trukk will get popped and your nobs will struggle to reach a target. Battle wagon may be the better transport  for them.

TW Haines