Blood Angel / Tyranid Campaign Box

pretre

via KaldorSwarmlord
Can also be seen here
http://dedard.blogspot.com/2014/11/blood-angels-boxed-set-gets-name.html

I don't know if any other german WD readers noticed:
on page 20 of the current WD, where they talk about the various ways to benefit from the Toxicrene, some note is written in the bottom left corner (I'll translate):

"Shield of Baal: Leviathan ist ausschließlic in englischer Sprache erhältlich, aber damit du sofort mit dem Spielen loslegen kannst, haben wir hier die Regeln auf Deutsch abgedruckt."

"Shield of Baal: Leviathan is exclusively available in English, but for the purpose of playing immediatly we printed the rules in German here for you."

The first post is pretty much guaranteed. This is a rumor from a weak source:

via Larry Vela on Bols Lounge
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?47200-Blood-Angels-Rumor-Roundup
Blood Angels
5 death company
10 assault marines 
1 furiouso dreadnaught
1 New Exclusive captain w jump pack

Tyranids
3 warriors
20 gaunts
3 lictors (this makes no sense, perhaps Hive Guard)
1 NEW Exclusive Prime

Campaign is slated to kick off the week after Tyranids

• Like 1

There's some speculation regarding the BA side of the box.

It's difficult because there is no comparable kit to the greyhunters/bloodclaws for BA so its a matter of determining if they are going for model count parity or model cost parity. The bloodclaws kit is only 5 bucks more than the DC kit so you can't really justify a second kit like assault marines or sanguinary guard. We shall see I guess.

Personally, I suspect they are going with 5 DC, 5 assault marines, the dread and the captain. I've heard other say they were going to do 5 DC, 5 sanguinary guard, the dread and the captain which sounds equally as plausable.

I've also been seeing a lot of questioning about the Nid side, particularly the Lictors, as those aren't currently in plastic, and leave the Nids with basically no answer to the Furioso.

The dreadnought? Really having issues killing it? Furioso has rear AV 10, so appear behind and puncture with lictors.

The dreadnought? Really having issues killing it? Furioso has rear AV 10, so appear behind and puncture with lictors.

6 shots, 3 hits, 1-2 Glances, then they die. And that's assuming the BA Player isn't smart enough to bubble wrap the rear. With only 6" range on the Flesh Hooks, it's not that hard to keep the rumoured Assault Squad in position to block that.

6 shots, 3 hits, 1-2 Glances, then they die. And that's assuming the BA Player isn't smart enough to bubble wrap the rear. With only 6" range on the Flesh Hooks, it's not that hard to keep the rumoured Assault Squad in position to block that.

Aren't they S6? I'm thinking 6 shots, 3 hits, a pen and a glance. Warriors and prime should also be able to take rending and furious charge, so you should be able to remove that last HP in melee.

I do think that the listed forces aren't even in points, though that is pretty normal for a GW box set. I am curious what that prime is equipped with, it might balance the armies.

1-2 HP, that should have been. I called them glances because most of the damage results don't really matter to a Furioso.

Trying to glance down AV13 with S4-5 Rending is an exercise in frustration. I've tried it, and you need a lot more than 4 Warrior-types to pull it off. The Furiouso will be able to shred its way through that more often than not. Also, rolling that way leaves you with just 20 Gaunts to try to handle the rest of the BA force, which won't go well for the Nids.

1-2 HP, that should have been. I called them glances because most of the damage results don't really matter to a Furioso.

Trying to glance down AV13 with S4-5 Rending is an exercise in frustration. I've tried it, and you need a lot more than 4 Warrior-types to pull it off. The Furiouso will be able to shred its way through that more often than not. Also, rolling that way leaves you with just 20 Gaunts to try to handle the rest of the BA force, which won't go well for the Nids.

Well, like I said, I don't think the points add up.

Either the prime is equipped with special weapons that balance it against the furioso, or there are additional models.

I do think it can be done, and would be a tough battle. 5+d6+d3, it can be done, though would be very tough.

Personal theory, prime character has some sort of AT weapon and runs with the guants or is solo. Meanwhile, BA have only plasma pistols or hand flamers for special weapons and only the captain has a power weapon - it's an axe or another unwieldy weapon. I wouldn't be too surprised if dread shaken/stunned immunity is reduced to being shaken denied on 2+ and stunned on 4+. Furioso dread being reduced to AV12 would make sense too. Should make for a more balanced encounter and make those lictors seem much more potent. Dread will likely have dual power fists and storm bolters, or a similar blend of the less effective options against this opponent.

Weaker furioso at lowered point cost would certainly fit with GW's theme of encouraging players to field more models in 7th.

Just because it's not literally impossible doesn't mean that the odds aren't vastly against the Nids managing to drag down the Furioso before it rips them apart. I've tried to take down Furiosos with Raveners before, due to lack of other options. Like I said, it tends not to go well.

Furthermore, Lictors are still up on GW's site, while Zoanthropes and Venomthropes have disappeared, leading to speculation that those two are getting a new combined kit and it's actually a trio of Zoanthropes in there, which are much more likely to be able to handle a Furioso.

• Like 1

Just because it's not literally impossible doesn't mean that the odds aren't vastly against the Nids managing to drag down the Furioso before it rips them apart. I've tried to take down Furiosos with Raveners before, due to lack of other options. Like I said, it tends not to go well.

Furthermore, Lictors are still up on GW's site, while Zoanthropes and Venomthropes have disappeared, leading to speculation that those two are getting a new combined kit and it's actually a trio of Zoanthropes in there, which are much more likely to be able to handle a Furioso.

Honestly, whole thing seems off. Assault marines are too generic, the other two box sets contain DA or SW models where you have little choice representing them as another chapter without at least some conversion. I would not be surprised if assault marines are somehow "impure" BA-only versions. I would like GW to make a JP-less assault marine kit, which they still don't have as a formal kit.

Gaunts and warriors also feel off. Rippers, as their own box set, would make much more sense. Re-introducing the Parasite of Mortex would also make sense as the special edition Prime (which would fit very well with plastic lictors).

Anyway, would not be surprised if GW releases a set where the sides just aren't balanced. Does certainly something GW would do in the past.

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
Shield of Baal is the first release for the campaign. There will be more. It comes in two hardback books and in a slipcase.

book 1 comes with all the details on the invasion- background
includes the invasion of the Cryptus System, called the shieldworlds of Baal.
the astra militarum, blood angels and even the sisters of battle are mentioned here.

book 2 is rules including, Echoes of War scenarios (6), a cities of death expansion with 6 new missions, death from the skies rules for aerial combat.

Forces of Leviathan: a new detachment for Tyranids with warlord traits, datasheets for new units, and new formations.

Archibald_TK got early access to the next White Dwarf

Don't know what you already know but here we go nonetheless:

- Venomthropes look excessively good (IMO)
- On the cover of the Paint Guide is a Broodlord, I first thought it was the one from SH when glancing at it but realized
it was actually a model I didn't know.
- Rules for Zoans broods in the WD.
- Shield of Baal is AM + Tempestus + SoB vs Nids. Rules inside are for Nids. It's a Nagash type of dual books.
- It is the first part of a campaign, those are the worlds actually protecting the BA ones.
- End of the WD said that in the next one we will be back to ET.

Link: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?401403-Rumours-from-next-white-dwarf&p=7312247&viewfull=1#post7312247

So this is a Tyranid Supplement essentially?  I have given up trying to keep up with the releases and rumors for the most part (havent even cracked a Space Wolf codex open since it dropped, though I have easy access to people who own it.  I probably should).  Because of the White Dwarf and all the attention its getting I suppose IM paying attention to this a little more since the Pods seem...  Expensive but GOOD.

So what exactly is Shield of Baal?

2 volume hardcover narrative campaign set.

Covers the invasion of the Sheildworlds of Baal by Hivefleet Leviathan

The initial set is only the first volume detailing the invasion.

It involves Tyranids vs Astra Militarum, Tempestus Strikeforces, Adepta Sororitas.

Volume 1 is 152pp, narrative campaign book (no rules) detailing this phase of the invasion.

Volume 2 is 64pp of rules including:

- 6 narrative scenarios

- Cities of Death campaign expansion

- Fighter Aces rules for games of 40k ~OHH NEAT!

- New Tyranid detachments, units, formations, and more.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/new-from-gw-digital-editions-leviathan.html

some small snippets of into and art previews.

Tyranid armies are boosted by no less than 12 datasheets, as well as a new Warlord Traits Table and Hive Fleet Detachment rules. One of our favourite new additions is the Skytyrant Swarm - a winged Hive Tyrant protected by a veritable cloud of ablative gargoyles who literally jump in front of bullets for him. Who needs armour when you have minions!

and an actual honest-to-goodness Sisters of Battle mission !

Possibly even more than one !

Truly the end times are here indeed !
  • Like 2