WFB 9th rumors, be strong my friends

intrizic

I figure it's one of two things....

One: It's a rumor that won't come to fruition.

Two: After switching to a new model for 40K, they want to apply it to Fantasy as well. Super fast turnaround on new units/supplements/codexes/rules/models in smaller chunks. However, it would become hard to maintain two systems that combine to what.. 30 armies? So nuke the armies on one side. Then follow it up with a nuke on the other side.

• Like 1

The rumors come from some of the most noted and trust worthy rumor mongers in the Hobby

Also, if this 'goes well' for GW, how will 40k be affected?  The 41st Millennium, correct me where I am incorrect fluff bunnies, needs an End of Times as bad if not worse than WFB.  Horus Heresy brought new life to the hobby the likes of which have only been seen by the DoW video games.  30k is a thing, legit.  They play the hell out of that game at Mugu.  

Has ET been successful for WFB?

• Like 1

The rumors come from some of the most noted and trust worthy rumor mongers in the Hobby

Also, if this 'goes well' for GW, how will 40k be affected?  The 41st Millennium, correct me where I am incorrect fluff bunnies, needs an End of Times as bad if not worse than WFB.  Horus Heresy brought new life to the hobby the likes of which have only been seen by the DoW video games.  30k is a thing, legit.  They play the hell out of that game at Mugu.  

I can't imagine ET has been successful considering what these rumors imply. This is kind of a desperation move. It also reeks of using consultants to tell them how to run the company.

Still called rumors, not facts ;)

But it does point more strongly towards point two.

ET has had middling success. People that dive into it seem to enjoy it, people who just look at it can get turned off at the power level of stuff in there. If it becomes straight up canon in 9th, I think it'll do well. What concerns me is overhauling the fluff like that, and incorporating a big rules change. You can accept one as long as the other is good. Hard to accept changes to fluff and rules that you don't like/agree with.

I doubt that GW cares as much about the fluff of nuking 40K as it is currently. I imagine they will move towards a similar route though, and limit the number of armies, increase the supplements so that you can field vastly different armies, while limiting the number of base codices to pull from, since they would have to be entirely self contained.

Well Lizards aren't completely gone according to the rumors. 8th ed books are still usable in the new edition. This doesn't sound like desperation to me either. It sounds smart from a business perspective and will probably have them rake in more and more cash. ET has been fairly successful so this makes sense. I find it all very interesting really but I am more cautiously optimistic. I sure as hell am not going to rebase my models I can tell you that much. I don't know what to think of the space marines equivalent either. I see this as having the potential to be really good or the potential to be completely awful. I doubt there will be a middle ground.

This is a mixed bag, for me.  On the one hand, the thought of a unified human race that can include elements from dwarves, ogres, and etc, is cool - kind of old school. I hated how out of control the army expansions got, with Undead and Chaos each splintering off into multiple books/armies. It was unsustainable.

On the other hand, I find it really hard to believe that books which are no longer supported will stay relevant. We all know GW is terrible at maintaining across the board balance, and I find it hard to believe it will work fine. I think they are trying to mollify the old guard, while starting to pump out 'limited edition' everything, which will be the new stuff, with up-to-date rules. 

Finally, space marines in fantasy - this is an awful idea.  Now both games can have bald, screaming men in power armour as the #1 army/release.  Great. 

I hope it turns out well for all my fantasy-loving friends, but should it not, remember, you can always play whatever game you want!  Unless you are doing tournaments, there's nothing to stop one from playing any edition of the game. Hell, I still play an edition of D&D that's 2 editions old at this point, and it works fine. 

Stay strong.

• Like 3

I agree that it makes sound financial sense for them. Well mostly anyway...I don't quite get limited runs of models. Is the lifespan of an industrial mold so short? I don't know.

As far as the playability of whichever book 8th ed book, who knows. The rumors seem to be indicating a "format" system similar to MtG or Flames of War. If you want to play with all your old stuff you can play a tidier version of 8th. If you want to play 9th, then lots of things are just gone. That was my take anyway.

In conclusion, I'd just like to reiterate this point:

*sticks fingers in ears* "LA LA LA IM NOT LISTENING!"

...and try not to lose the will to paint lizardmen ;)

I agree that it makes sound financial sense for them. Well mostly anyway...I don't quite get limited runs of models. Is the lifespan of an industrial mold so short? I don't know.

As far as the playability of whichever book 8th ed book, who knows. The rumors seem to be indicating a "format" system similar to MtG or Flames of War. If you want to play with all your old stuff you can play a tidier version of 8th. If you want to play 9th, then lots of things are just gone. That was my take anyway.

I think they have found they have good success with the limited edition books, so why not do models the same way?  The core units will be available from distributors, but if you want the new shiny, you'll buy direct within the production window.

Yes, it's true about formats.  The only way it would really blow is for people who want to play the old way if the new way gets adopted by tourneys/ofcc events.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.