New Bloodthirster

pretre

I kind of think the studio designers have started losing track of the fact that some of us have to travel (and even more so, some of us have to take transit) to get to our Games ;)

I do wonder sometimes, if GW realizes that the increased size of models may eventually make the game unplayable.

How so? I mean, I suppose on a long enough timeline we'll just be playing with one 1500 point model per side that is about 3' tall, but until then...

Well, at present, GW games largely rely on the hobby stores to provide space for their games to be played. Players cannot typically store models at the store, so transportation is a key issue. That said, GW models are both getting larger in scale and their increased detail makes them fragile for transportation.

If GW makes transporting the models to the store/event unrealistic, they will make their own game unplayable.

Most of the models in the 40k line are getting larger with each new incarnation. Current PA marines are taller, rhinos are larger, thunder hawks and so forth. Even the TAU broadsides got larger.

As for points, GW does not really place much point related value in the transportability of their models. That Fortress of Redemption is over a foot tall and over a foot wide, yet it's points are relatively low.

Blob infantry is getting cheaper per model, meaning you have more models you need to transport.

And look at the new daemonology, forcing players to bring more models that are in their list points.

The bigger an army needs to be, the harder it is to transport to the hobby shop, which in turn affects how easy it is to play/use your army. The harder it is to play at the hobby shop, the less players/sales for those hobby shops.

Yeah, still garage hammer, but how many of you would continue if going to hobby shops/events just weren't an option?

As is, some armies just don't get fielded in 40k events because they require too many models to function.

Well, at present, GW games largely rely on the hobby stores to provide space for their games to be played. Players cannot typically store models at the store, so transportation is a key issue. That said, GW models are both getting larger in scale and their increased detail makes them fragile for transportation.

If GW makes transporting the models to the store/event unrealistic, they will make their own game unplayable.

Most of the models in the 40k line are getting larger with each new incarnation. Current PA marines are taller, rhinos are larger, thunder hawks and so forth. Even the TAU broadsides got larger.

As for points, GW does not really place much point related value in the transportability of their models. That Fortress of Redemption is over a foot tall and over a foot wide, yet it's points are relatively low.

Blob infantry is getting cheaper per model, meaning you have more models you need to transport.

And look at the new daemonology, forcing players to bring more models that are in their list points.

The bigger an army needs to be, the harder it is to transport to the hobby shop, which in turn affects how easy it is to play/use your army. The harder it is to play at the hobby shop, the less players/sales for those hobby shops.

Yeah, still garage hammer, but how many of you would continue if going to hobby shops/events just weren't an option?

As is, some armies just don't get fielded in 40k events because they require too many models to function.

In the famous words of the great Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction, "Well then, allow me to retort".

It's not up to GW to provide storage space to players or force a LGS to provide that service; however, there are quite a few LGS I have gamed at where you can rent a locker for the low-low price of $5 bucks a months.

Yes, because all of the people who had a thunderhawk in their armies in the past 2 years have started to complain now.  Who even uses these?  In nearly 10 years of playing GW games (8 years with 40k), I have yet to see one of these on the table.  The fact that you even mentioned broadsides being "big" is baffling.

Again, who even uses a fortress of redemption?

Blob infantry is an option.  Wait for it, yup, so is an army transport which could easily hold 90 models.

Why are players forced to purchase more models?  Don't use daemonology if you can't transport the models around.  I don't know why this is a hard decision.

How big does the army need to be?  How is it harder for gamers to transport armies to and from a hobby shop?  Oh that's right, because gamers without their own mode of transportation spend more money on models and so complain about not being able to transport them around the town.  Simple solution would be to stop spending hundreds on models and put a down payment on a used car.

I'm confused with the hoppy shops/events thing not being an option.

What armies require too many models to function?  It's all about how you build your army that dictates how many models to have in your army.

In the end, I'm with pretre with his statement.......yeah, those of us with cars aren't complaining about transporting models.  Heck even when I was using the public trans option in Eugene I would pack 2 army cases with me.  Did I complain?  Nope, because it was cheaper than a cab.  Oh snaps, another option right there.

Yeah, I guess that's a problem for Portlanders and Europeans, but for those of us with cars... :)

Might just be a car thing.

@mexican ninja: Did you just skim my post? Oh are the responses just trying to bait me? Try reading and responding to what was said.