Reaper Bones + spray primer = sticky, shiny mess

ChaosGerbil

Hi, I just primed some Reaper Bones figures in addition to some plastic and lead ones. I used Rustoleum Flat Black Primer, 2x coverage. It's normally great, only $4 a can and does a good job for me. On the Reaper bones minis which are a flexible white plastic, the spray came out very glossy and tacky. It even looks shiny through a coat or two of paint. The other minis turned out fine, although the Mansions of Madness softer plastic minis (and one rubberized dinosaur) also came out a little glossy. The plastic farm animals, lead D&D minis and all the GW stuff I sprayed at the same time was totally matte and not tacky. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Interesting. I've had something similar happen with Satin finish sprays, but never Flat. I wonder if something in the plastic messes with the surface tension or the curing of the paint or something.

In the case with the Satin spray, the tackiness went away completely and the extra shininess toned down somewhat over time. I think like a week or two.

almost sounds like the paint didn't adhere well … did you wash the reaper figures before priming?  Some plastics continue to "out-gas" or sometimes they have powders or fine residue on them from the molding process.  I would give them a bath next time as a test… and see if things change.  But I agree with westy… thinking surface tension or something messing with the primer's ability to grip onto the plastic.

-if it were ink on plastic (printing industry)… I would say the base needs either heat treated / or electro-treatment to remove any static…. and to prep the substrate (the figure) for ink or paint.  It all depends on the type of plastics they are made out of. I know printing on frisbees we would have to re-treat if the flyers sat in the warehouse to long - because they built up a charge that would literally pop the ink off after it dried lol.

-d

• 2 weeks later...

Different pigments can actually make a pretty big difference in the chemical behaviour of a paint or dye. At one point I was looking into starting a business making hand-dyed fabric and yarn, and it was amazing how different colours of dye could change the texture and other properties of the same batch of cloth. Big manufacturers presumably do some work to compensate for that, but there are almost certainly still some differences.

Of course, there are a lot of other potential lurking variables as well. Batch-to-batch differences, subtle differences in weather conditions, probably a ton of others I can't think of.