Musings on 9th edition

Hmmmm I just don't recall people talking about how stagnant the Old World was in the last few editions and only now that GW has dumped it that people are jumping on that bandwagon.

I've been complaining about it for years. WH40K has a rich universe that is instantly distinctive, with a central and setting-defining narrative in the Emperor-Horus conflict. Any WH40K player can give you a cliffnotes rundown of the setting off the top of their head, which will sound compelling to a new player interested in getting into the world.

The WHFB Old World? Yeah...it's...uh...sort of a Tolkien ripoff set in the real world? There's like French knights and a Germanic HRE-style Empire? Dark Elves are angry Canadians. High Elves live in Atlantis. There's like...Aztec lizardmen and Undead Egyptians?

It is absolutely generic and absolutely uninspired. The vast majority of WHFB players I know barely even bother to read their *own* damned fluff, let alone that for the rest of the world. All most people really know is where the factions are from, and which ones are historical enemies to their own factions. Blegh.

This supposed new setting is a massive improvement over that. It gives the world an instantly identifying character, that sets it apart from other worlds. It gives the factions a place in a compelling central narrative. I would feel compelled to read fluff outside of my own armybook.

In short...it's awesome.

• Like 3

Agreed that I play for the rules and spectacle, and mostly prefer my own imagination to the detailed fluff and backstory provided by the game maker.  

But I do like reading an engaging backstory... for example reading the 40k story took me from not really caring about 40k, to wanting to get an army and play the game.  Whereas with WFB I barely read the book fluff and don't find it inspiring at all.  So I agree with KM's point on that front whole-heartedly... WFB backstory needs a major rewrite and this sounds much more engaging and inspiring!

But it will all be for naught if the rules are weak, or (for me) even if they are incompatible model-wise with WFB 8th/9th/whatever large scale game there is :)

At this time anyway, I am really only interested in AoS as a ramp up game to WFB, for the same reasons I've never been hooked by War Machine or Confrontation: the hero/character scale games just don't grab me the way the grand look and feel of WFB does!!

But I'm definitely excited to read the rules and finally put an end to all the speculation!

From Darnok:

Just a few words of warnign about those "Dakka rumours": they sound nothing like what I've been told so far. No overlap with things that I have heard about, but lots of things that where not in that. I can not go into more detail, but to me it sounds like somebody either got a lot of things wrong, or stuff has just been made up.

For Reference:
Darnok (from Warseer) - Total rumors: (73 TRUE) / (18 FALSE) / (9 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)
  • Like 1

I am totally cool with the 'fluff' changes (especially if rats are kept separate from Chaos), what I am most worried about are the game mechanics.

Having an 'unbound' setting just sounds meh... just like unbound in 40K sounds to me. I dislike the 'ally matrix' the way it is, but to think we can mix/match -anything- we want just seems silly to me.

The skirmish-size is fine, as well. I used to be pretty hard-core into Confrontation, Alkemy, Helldorado, etc. and yes, I've had my share of games with Mordheim and Necromunda, too. But I have 5k points of Skaven for a reason - for mass-battles - and to think that GW is going to completely abandon that segment just really blows my mind. I will keep my fingers crossed for some sort of 'scale-system' so that we can go from '10-12 figs' up to hundreds again... even if that means reverting back to 8th to play.

• Like 2

Really glad I don't play fantasy. A change that large to fluff would be devastating to me.

Mmmmmeh. WH40K is keeping the fluff fresh by exploring the world of the Horus Heresy. WHFB doesn't have that same sort of possibility, since all the interesting historical stuff is scattered across millenia with no centrally defining or compelling conflict to generate that sort of interest. And the existing fluff was stale as balls.

Quite possibly a huge troll, but it's exactly the sort of thing that WHFB needs. I know die-hard hobbyists who haven't bothered to read the fluff section of their armybook for several editions, since it's always pretty much the same. Occasionally they'll shoe-horn in a new unit here or there, but before End Times the WHFB story hadn't changed significantly since Storm of Chaos (which was very quickly retconned). Didn't exactly make the fluff a draw. Nostalgia value for existing players, perhaps, but little more than that.

Seriously? Good riddance. I remain unsettled by talk of sweeping changes to the mechanics of the game, but so long as any new units are compatible with 8th (which I suggest they will be), and a new edition of mass battle is released in the future (which I anticipate will follow AoS...though perhaps not for a while), then I'm happy even if AoS is a complete bust. And if there is no more mass battle and AoS is awful then...well...whatever. There's always Darklands, Warmahordes, Kings of War...or any number of the other "also-rans" who have never quite managed to draw me away from WHFB, but which I would take as a consolation prize.

• Like 1

From Darnok:

PENDING Warhammer Fantasy Rumors - June 2015

Just a few words of warnign about those "Dakka rumours": they sound nothing like what I've been told so far. No overlap with things that I have heard about, but lots of things that where not in that. I can not go into more detail, but to me it sounds like somebody either got a lot of things wrong, or stuff has just been made up.

For Reference:

Darnok (from Warseer) - Total rumors: (73 TRUE) / (18 FALSE) / (9 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Yeah..I don't see how that dude could glean all that info from multiple books in what he described as a "Chance look" at the book(s).

Especially the game rules points he made such as the new stats being based on 1-6 with a lower number favored,what was wrong with the old stat system.. .Also stating that all models regenerate wounds at the end of each turn?.

On the other side of things I could see the integration of unit "Cards" along with spell and ability cards as those are things they could ship with new model/sets kinda like other games do (Xwing,WarHordes) this would be more familiar to new players.

Ill gladly try whatever comes out but at this point,only plan to get the starter set.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?409992-Age-of-Sigmar-II&p=7468262&viewfull=1#post7468262

Hastings just verified much of the rumours posted above.

Yep...... I think this guy is actually NOT talking entirely about the AoS box/set but in some instances the Rules AFTERWARDS...

....... consists of three books (what I have heard too)

- full fledged rule system; no skirmish game - meaning not restricted to low miniature count:  (as I understand it AoS WILL be skirmish level, the later rules bring about massed battle rules)

- there are unit cards for every (as far as I can see) old unit. I was told there would be separate rules to allow fielding of old units, however I thought these were included in the kits

Setting 
game is set on world Regalia that is connected with other young realms through portals of the old ones. Young realms are realms that were populated by the old creators and were guided on similar historical paths. Exactly what I was told

...... Fast travel is possible through a number of ..... circles that allows mages to open portal from one to another ..... There were a long period of peace curated by the Exoatl (Old Ones) ......  Exactly what I was told

The Skaven arrived on their own on Regalia and are basically the same.  Exactly what I was told

The Soul Mill is a huge machinery ...... to feed on the power of dead spirits.....  Exactly what I was told

- Lizardmen are not gone. There is a race called Servants of the Exoatl - I was not aware of the "servants of" part but the name Exoatl was mentioned to me.

Mmmmmeh. WH40K is keeping the fluff fresh by exploring the world of the Horus Heresy. WHFB doesn't have that same sort of possibility, since all the interesting historical stuff is scattered across millenia with no centrally defining or compelling conflict to generate that sort of interest. And the existing fluff was stale as balls.

Hadn't thought about it that way, perhaps you are right.

And I didn't mean to troll, sorry if it seemed that way.

Saw the rumors and have been following some forums. If it is true I don't know if I would buy 9th or even continue to complete my current armies. It's not the Game I loved, it's more like a trendy Kickstarter Miniature game that gets hype for a month or two but then the theme becomes outdated and the Story becomes so convoluted fans lose interest.

The Old World worked because ironically as it sounds it was timeless. It wasn't based on a trendy theme, it was its own thing. This current rumor seems to point to GW trying to create a "new world" by using a theme that will be outdated in a couple of years. Even the Names of the races just look painful and like it is out of a Dark Sun RPG.

Calling Orcs Waaghkin seems like a teenager's attempt at creating his own role playing game by giving old Stereotype races new names.

Hope this rumor is false or else this will be a sad marketing attempt.

I am too old to be playing with Waaghkin. Just sounds plain stupid.

• Like 2

Saw the rumors and have been following some forums. If it is true I don't know if I would buy 9th or even continue to complete my current armies. It's not the Game I loved, it's more like a trendy Kickstarter Miniature game that gets hype for a month or two but then the theme becomes outdated and the Story becomes so convoluted fans lose interest.

The Old World worked because ironically as it sounds it was timeless. It wasn't based on a trendy theme, it was its own thing. This current rumor seems to point to GW trying to create a "new world" by using a theme that will be outdated in a couple of years. Even the Names of the races just look painful and like it is out of a Dark Sun RPG.

Calling Orcs Waaghkin seems like a teenager's attempt at creating his own role playing game by giving old Stereotype races new names.

Hope this rumor is false or else this will be a sad marketing attempt.

I am too old to be playing with Waaghkin. Just sounds plain stupid.

A lot of those new names (for orcs and dwarves, for example) are names that GW will be able to copyright. They can't copyright the name 'orc' or 'dwarf', but they can 'Waaghkin' and so on. GW is fanatical about protecting it's intellectual properties.

It will definitely be a big change. Like you said, the WHFB fluff was fairly 'stable' for all these years. And now, almost three decades later - it's changing.

It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

GW wants to create IPs that they can protect. Nothing wrong with that. However, it will really need to be more than just a name change. It will have to be an image change. If a "waaghkin" looks just like an "orc" then hey haven't gained anything. Other companies can continue to make orcs and people will buy them to use in the GW game.

For this to really work, GW needs to overhaul the whole image of their line. If this is all true of course. Fairly wild to think that they are willing to give up on 30 years of design just to have a tighter hold on the IP.