Age of Sigmar

I thought it might be good to start a general discussion thread for the new fantasy rules (available for free from games-workshop.com).

To kick things off, no points costs!? Kinda confused as to how this will change in-game balance. It seems like they've taken effort to give an alternate win strategy to undersized armies, but I don't know if these will be balanced enough to justify the loss of point values for units.

Also, anyone up for getting together this weekend to try out the new rules down at Dark Tower?

I am intrigued by the rules. I it sounds fun and crazy. Balance will be hard to achieve.

Gw doesn't care about losing existing get players because there just weren't enough of them to keep the system going. If it was profitable, they wouldn't have milked it with end times then nuked it from orbit.

i am willing to try it, but likely won't have time until i get back from Seattle in november.

I hope folks give it a chance, especially the store. It's a very newbie friendly game.

I've had a good long read of the new rules and battles scrolls. It's seriously the biggest load of trash I've ever seen. I'm not sure that it qualifies as a game.

I'm curious to see how the organized play community responds, as this is not a basis for any type of organized play. A lot of the talk is around returning to the 7th Ed rules with the 6th Ed lists, which would be complete heaven.

• Like 5

Yeah I've played lots of different games over the years and I can safely say that this is by far the worst rule set I have ever seen. I probably will play a game or 2 just to sate my curiosity but the game is completely void of strategy and tactics. It's just a horribly unbalanced mosh pit in the middle. Super disappointing.

• Like 1

I've had a good long read of the new rules and battles scrolls. It's seriously the biggest load of trash I've ever seen. I'm not sure that it qualifies as a game.

I'm curious to see how the organized play community responds, as this is not a basis for any type of organized play. A lot of the talk is around returning to the 7th Ed rules with the 6th Ed lists, which would be complete heaven.

Yeah I've played lots of different games over the years and I can safely say that this is by far the worst rule set I have ever seen. I probably will play a game or 2 just to sate my curiosity but the game is completely void of strategy and tactics. It's just a horribly unbalanced mosh pit in the middle. Super disappointing.

From what I can tell, it seems to have completely thrown any ounce of competitive play out the window. I can't see a reason not to take 100 daemon princes, or 100 bastiladons and call it a "fair list." Maybe I'm missing something or there'll be a full rules release later on...?

My army, Bretonnia, seems to have gotten just ludicrously simple and broken, hordes of knights of the realm hit with 4 attacks a model and have no semblance of the knightly charges of old, men-at-arms once rightly the worst unit in the game, now hit on a 2+ and re-roll armor saves of 1 or 2 (if kitted out with a paladin and full command), and bowmen just set up undefined lengths of auto-death dangerous terrain that can't be removed and doesn't affect friendly models. I'm intrigued to play it, as new anything interests me, but it really does seem to break down at anything above two friends playing around with five or six models each.

The way the rules have been drafted reminds me of the games I used to dream up as a child, you know, the ones where I would always win and the rules would change on a dime to best fit my megalomaniacal need for attention and power. 

At the end of the day, it seems like the winner would be the fella who bought the most stuff on his last strafing run of a GW stock shelf. Goodbye points, hello money!

What this game does make me interested in is digging up an old copy of the Mordheim rules and having some fun with a proper fantasy skirmish game. 

• Like 1

Mordheim is great. I also own the book for cutlass which is a fantasy pirate campaign game and I have yet to play that. I also saw Jim mention Frostgrave and I have read up on it and it seems like a fun mordheimesque game based on badass wizards.

I hope that this rule set will develop into something not awful though.

Just saying, for campaign-based fantasy, Frostgrave is getting a lot of traction on Lead Adventure. Looks hot. Err... cool. Like, frosty.

Latest hubub is out on AoS, as it's Forge World Open Day and they hired someone to stand there and answer AoS questions. Looks like this is it. There will be no points. The reason the current warscrolls are garbage is because it's pure fanservice (if you can call it that) for existing players. Actual future releases won't include the stupid rules and crap they put in for existing armies.

Joey! When do y'all leave for Nordland? Will we have time for the Island of Misfit games before you go? I have my female pirate minis for Cutlass, and will have the Frostgrave rulebook after OFCC (preordered on Amazon for $18).

Let's play tons of wacky games after the OFCC! Post apocalyptic cars, lady pirates, wizard warbands, steampunk navies, and all that.

While I'll be staying away from AoS until a ways down the road, I'm interested to hear what y'all think about when you give it a go. I honestly hope that I'm super wrong about my initial take on things.

Let's play tons of wacky games after the OFCC! Post apocalyptic cars, lady pirates, wizard warbands, steampunk navies, and all that.

While I'll be staying away from AoS until a ways down the road, I'm interested to hear what y'all think about when you give it a go. I honestly hope that I'm super wrong about my initial take on things.

So do I haha, I think I'll give it a go on tuesday if someone else is willing to suffer through it with me. Is there any interest in doing a mordheim or gorka morka campaign going?

I still have all of my dystopian wars stuff so id be down to try boats boats boats. I also have some orc pirates that I painted up but never did anything with.

• Like 1

I really think AoS is a great tool to bring folks into the hobby. While it is nowhere near the tactical game of old, it's great for buying a box and playing as soon as they are built. It's the gateway game that GW has been lacking since they started ignoring the specilist games, or "Fu$% all category as it was called in GW manager training"

I hope we can see it for what it is as a club, a recruitment tool. Use it to get folks pushing models and painting them. When the game lacks depth, we can help them find the right game or build this one up.

A lot of the talk is around returning to the 7th Ed rules with the 6th Ed lists, which would be complete heaven.

If that happens, I'll be back in a flash.  I'd also like to see it go a step further and have the community reassign points to things.  

I still have my 6th ed Skaven and Empire books (the 7th edition of Empire was WAY better though IMO), would just have to re-buy everything, though, with the mass exodus that seems to be unfolding, buying up lots shouldn't be that hard...

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.