9th age real-talk zone

So, I played my first game of 9th age last week. 2500 points of Wood Elves vs 2500 points of smashthedean's Blood Dragons. It was seriously one of (the?) the best games of Fantasy I've played in years. Changes to the magic system were spot on. Fear matters. Balanced units. Good balance between ranks-matter and maneuver-trumps-steadfast. All the flavor of 6th through 8th with none of the heartache BS.

I like KoW a lot; it's a really strategic, and tight game, but it lacks the Old World flavor. If you haven't tried Ninth Age, try it. Rules are free, nothing to lose.

Also, Kacy... Post that damn battle report.

• Like 7

Since this is the real talk zone, I'd like to point out this announcement: http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/121-new-9th-age-gallery-call-for-pictures/

I know some of you guys are wonderful painters and modelers. So post some cool pics to represent the PNW! (and America. we're pretty underrepresented right now)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... with the new Undying Legions book:

+++ Terracotta (2500pts) +++

++ Undying Dynasties (Standard (1500-3999pts)) (2500pts) ++

+ Lords (540pts) +

Death Cult Hierarch (275pts) [Hierophant, Soul Conduit (50pts)]
····Rules: Dust to Dust, Regeneration (6+), Risen (1), Rulers of the Dead, Soul Condiut, Undead, Undead Constructs
····Level 4 Wizard Master (35pts) [Path of the Sands]

Pharaoh (265pts) [Chariot (45pts), Commander of the Terracotta Army, Heavy Armour (12pts), Lance (mounted only) (15pts), Shield (3pts)]
····Rules: Commander of the Terracotta Army, Dust to Dust, Fear, Flammable, Mummy's Curse, Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs, Undying Will
····Army General [General]

+ Heroes (255pts) +

Tomb Architect (136pts) [Chariot (45pts), Lance (6pts)]
····Rules: Artisan' s Wrath, Dust to Dust, Flammable, Master of Stone, Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs

Tomb Harbinger (119pts) [battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Great Weapon (6pts), Light Armour, Shield (3pts)]
····Rules: Dust to Dust, Flammable, Lethal Strike, Poisoned Attacks, Risen (1), Royal Guard, Undead, Undead Constructs, Undying Will

+ Core (670pts) +

Skeleton Chariots (310pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 5x Skeleton Chariots (250pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]
····Rules: Dust to Dust, Mount's Protection (6+), Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs

Skeleton Chariots (180pts) [3x Skeleton Chariots (150pts)]
····Rules: Dust to Dust, Mount's Protection (6+), Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs

Skeleton Chariots (180pts) [3x Skeleton Chariots (150pts)]

+ Special (705pts) +

Necropolis Guard (310pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]
····Rules: Bodyguard, Dust to Dust, Lethal Strike, Magical Attacks, Poisoned Attacks, Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs
····20x Necropolis Guard (300pts) [20x Halberds (40pts)]

Necropolis Guard (310pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]
····Rules: Bodyguard, Dust to Dust, Lethal Strike, Magical Attacks, Poisoned Attacks, Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs
····20x Necropolis Guard (300pts) [20x Halberds (40pts)]

Sand Scorpion (85pts)
····Rules: Fear, Innate Defence (5+), Lethal Strike, Magic Resistance (2), Poisoned Attacks, Risen (1), Undead Constructs, Underground Ambush

+ Rare (330pts) +

Charnel Catapult (145pts)
····Rules: Dust to Dust, Risen (1), Undead, Undead Constructs

Colossus (185pts) [Additional Hand Weapon (5pts)]
····Rules: Grinding Attacks (D3+1), Innate Defence (5+), Risen (1), Undead Constructs

Commander of the Terracotta Army makes it so you can't buy things that aren't Undead Constructs. If they weren't before, you pay a price for +1T, -1I, Risen 1 (how much the unit heals), and gain Undead Construct.

Toss Heirophant in one unit of Necropolis Guard, and Herald in the other.

Nothing is less than T5. Up for some debate about what goes/stays... but I love the feel of this. Nothing but constructs. I always thought TK shouldn't be a horde army. They strike me as more elite, and tougher. If you have no class.... you should be a vampire.

Excited to try and get in a game, see how it all holds up.

Some nifty notes about this army:

Both units of Necropolis Guard are stubborn (they have Bodyguard and a character in the unit) which reduces Unstable by 1/2. Then the Undead Construct rule, and Hold Your Ground (granted via being BSB) reduces Unstable damage by 2. This means that if I lose combat by less than 5, I don't take any wounds. If I lost by 10? I would take 3. Still hurts, but man is that manageable. There are ways to increase this even further if desired!

The architect can toss 5+ regen on a unit, and depending on spells, I can get 5+ ward on another unit. The unit of guard with the heirophant have 6+ regen. Not huge, but on top of T5 for the guard.... not too shabby.

Worried about a single spellcaster, but we'll see how that plays out.

Since we're in a list-posting mood, here's the latest iteration of my Blood Dragon Brotherhood of the Dragon Vampires list!

[470] Vampire Count: level 2 (necromancy), dragonscale helm, crystal ball, sprout of rebirth, brotherhood of the dragon, crimson rage, skeletal steed (MP5+)

[250] Vampire Courtier: bsb, level 1 (necromancy), lucky shield, gemstone amulet, divine icon, brotherhood of the dragon, lance, skeletal steed (MP5+)

[125] Necromancer: level 2 (necromancy), dispel scroll

[155] Zombies x 45: standard, musician

[40] Dire Wolves x 5
[40] Dire Wolves x 5
[40] Dire Wolves x 5
[40] Dire Wolves x 5

[295] Barrow Knights x 10: full command, banner of speed

[165] Varkolak
[165] Varkolak

[405] Vampire Knights x 5: full command, black standard of zagvozd, blood ties

TOTAL: 2500

Basically two Knight units with a Vampire each, Varghulfs for combat support, Zombies to tarpit and break steadfast, and plenty of Dire Wolves to chaff it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure that's really a necessary step. I mean, part of what makes 9th Age strong is that the rules no longer have to support model sales and they can pull from any line instead of just one company.

Part of their address to people discussed the future of the game where part of that is adding fresh units to the mix. There has never really been a problem finding miniatures to add to fantasy armies nor am I worried about WHFB's departure suddenly changing that.

Nope, they have a full Art team that is credited on page 2. All of the art is 100% original.

Thanks, missed it. Still, a painting of mickey mouse is somehow a copyright violation for disney. Some of that art is more than just "inspired by" GW content. And GW is well known for their ambitious legal teams.

Anyway, I hope it passes unnoticed.

Thanks, missed it. Still, a painting of mickey mouse is somehow a copyright violation for disney. Some of that art is more than just "inspired by" GW content. And GW is well known for their ambitious legal teams.

Anyway, I hope it passes unnoticed.

They'd have trouble proving damages since the rules are fan-made and being distributed for free. Though I'm not a copyright lawyer, and it's been a years since I took any IP law classes.

• 3 weeks later...