Competitive War convocation without drop pods

AgentP

OK let's build around the cohort. What would be the most competitive thing we could do to support a cohort deathstar? Every ally and unit is up for consideration, no limits.

I'm a big believer that novelty of lists counts for something. If your opponent hasn't seen something that's a plus. And I don't think anyone is running the cohort currently.

Eldar, as usual, are the best option. You bring another good defensive melee unit (the Wraithknight) and fast, ObSec scoring units (Jetbikes) as well as plenty of other tricks. I'd have to toy with the exact points, but a Battle Company could potentially work- the Cohort smashes anything that gets near and the Company wins you the game on objectives. You could also use some sort of Scout-heavy force, taking like 40-60 of them and then support elements (Thunderfires, Centurions, etc) to bring the main firepower. You could potentially do something similar with Blood Angels, although I think it would be worse overall. Having some kind of psychic support for the Cohort might be good, either a Librarius Conclave if you were going all-in or something a bit simpler (Tiggy, Sevrin Loth) could work.

The biggest issues I see with the Cohort as a whole are cost (it's basically a deathstar) and non-inevitability (it can't go toe-to-toe with most other deathstars in their chosen element.) It has the advantage of being natively quite tough and problematic to shoot at because of the "bounce shots on a 6" ability, but by being divided between melee and ranged it's a master of neither- which is why I think we really need the psychic buffs (or additional melee support) to make sure it can do its thing.

• Like 1

So, using the models I have, here is an option I could run:

+++ New Roster (1850pts) +++

++ Cult Mechanicus: Codex (2015) (Formation Detachment) ++

+ Formation +

Cohort Cybernetica
····Kastelan Robot Maniple
········Cybernetica Datasmith [Refractor field]
········Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Two power fists]
········Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Two power fists]
····Kastelan Robot Maniple
········Cybernetica Datasmith [Refractor field]
········Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
········Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
····Tech-Priest Dominus [Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land, Macrostubber, Refractor field, Volkite blaster]

++ Dark Angels: Codex (2015) (DA The Lion's Blade Detachment) ++

+ Core +

Battle Demi Company
····Assault Squad [4x Assault Space Marine, 2x Flamer]
········Assault Space Marine Sergeant [Chainsword, Combi-Flamer]
········Drop Pod [storm Bolter]
····Chaplain [bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Infantry]
····Devastator Squad [2x Grav Cannon with Gravamp, 4x Space Marine]
········Sergeant [boltgun, Chainsword]
····Tactical Squad [Meltagun, 4x Tactical Marine]
········Sergeant [Chainsword, Combi-Melta]

+ Auxillary +

10th Company Support
····Scout Squad [4x Boltguns, 4x Scouts]
········Scout Sergeant [boltgun, Chainsword]

++ Dark Angels: Codex (2015) (Formation Detachment) ++

+ Formation +

Librarius Conclave [Ezekiel]
····Librarian
········Power Armour [bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Infantry]
········Psyker [Level 1]
····Librarian
········Power Armour [bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Infantry]
········Psyker [Level 1]

Created with BattleScribe

ive found some alternative pods I like, and some Forgeworld thralls to use as scouts. So I'm less opposed to a flesh tearer contingent. But that still leaves points.

I'm not running an assassin. I'd rather use a librarian HQ for the tearers and then add either an inquisitor, or lib conclave, or buff unit sizes. I wonder if lib conclave summoning would help the convocation?

• Like 1

I've had my eyes on those too, but knowing I could go to JoAnn Fabrics, get three wooden cones and Greenstuff a spiral on 'em and stick 'em on a tube and be 90% of the way there for 10% of the price has held me back....

That and my life being so proscribed and interrupted that I can't find the time to build them, much less paint them.

• Like 1