Display board help

derek

So forgive my terrible explanation of what im trying to achieve here. So i want to build a display board around a 3x2 with slots in it for models to sit in. Idea is the bases are flush with the board so their bases would match whatever is on the display board. General idea is ill need a thick piece of wood some added stuff for flavor.

Only problem im facing atm is how do i go about cutting said slotted holes in wood ive not a clue on power tools and stuff that would probably be used in this process. I want to add a sheet of metal in the board to magnatize my models so they dont pop out of place at the drop of a bad luck situation.

I have a few kind of ideas about this in that i would take a thin piece of wood glue or screw down the sheet of metal then add a second layer of thin wood to hold metal in place and to hide it from site. Then add things for the diroama effect. Any help would be great and i apologize for the absolute wall of text. The Internet so far has provided no results for what im in search of

• Like 1

If you're set on using wood and I assume the slots you want are rounds, you need either a forstner bit or a hole bit for a drill. Preferably you'd use a drill press to plunge the bit into the wood and you could control depth while maintaining a perfect 90 degree angle. You can also use a hand drill with either, but you need to be careful about keeping it straight. Make sure the wood piece you're drilling is clamped securely, or your bit may snag and drag it.

Forstner bits are much better, they create less tear away and cut more flush to the wood. They're more like router bits that cut vertically down. Hole bits are just used to drill...holes, but they basically just punch through whatever you're drilling through and aren't designed for a great deal of precision depth. Either comes in a variety of sizes.

Alternatively if you don't want to acquire any specialized tools or bits, you could probably use a good dimensionally stable wood as a base (to prevent warping), and cut out your slots in a piece of foam core sheet, then laminate that on top. Once it's flocked, you probably wont be able to really tell it's foam core.

If you're laminating a metal sheet in there, then you can't use wood glue to adhere it to wood (metal is non-porous); you would need some other type of epoxy. You could also just cut out circles from a metal sheet and glue them into your slots. This would be easier with a soft metal sheet you can cut with scissors with that degree of small precision like...maybe thin brass. Alternatively you could just countersink individual rare earth magnets into each slot, or even iron nail heads or tacks, but I would check that the hold is good enough for your purposes first.

I would also consider weight. Even with just the display board, the pounds are going to add up fast with the wood, metal, etc. Plus the mountain of minis you'll be putting on it. Find some handles in the hardware section that you like and secure them to your board for easy handling.

2013-08-05-2590-40K-TauOFCC.JPG

I used a cheap hand drill, and a few hole saws on a piece of MDF and glued it to another piece of MDF the same size.  Both were less than 1/4 inch thick.  Put a piece of sheet metal in there and you are good to go for magnetizing.  The drill is certainly on the low end of the power tools spectrum.  The hole saws can be as simple as a conversation with the guy at the hardware store with a few sample bases in your hand.  

2013-08-06-2677-40K-TauOFCC.JPG

• Like 1

I really recommend foam core for display boards. The stuff you would get for a high school science collage. If you make it three or four layers thick and seal it well it is very strong and weighs very little. You can cut it with virtually anything that is sharp. As long as you have a contiguous perimeter of 3 plus layers it will hold any amount of weight. Mine held an all metal dwarf infantry army without any flex whatsoever. 

Keeping it lightweight will make it last longer. A heavy display board is not only a bummer to haul around it will tend to chip and wear and far faster. 

• Like 1