Warhammer 40k Noob needs help from experienced players.

OddJars

I bought the Dark Vengeance Pack not to long ago and I need some help from experienced players. First, what kind of things should I avoid doing in combat and what are some basic strategies and play styles for the Dark Angels? Basically, how do I not be a noob. Next, what is the best way to save money when buying new units and paint for my army (I want to get at least 1000 points into my dark angels) and what kind of modifications can I make to improve the army that the box came with and what units can I buy to improve that army so it can be viable and maybe even good in competitive matches. Also where are some good places to play around the West Linn area and are other players willing to take some time to help a noob out, from what I've experienced from this community people are pretty willing to help out new players, but that can just be a small amount of players who are like that? Finally if it helps, generally in rts games I like to cripple the enemy early on so I have an advantage from the beginning, I also like to play aggressively and I want to incorporate that play style somehow into this game.

• Like 1

Here is the best advice I can give. Don't ask for advice. Play the game, have fun, and see where your imagination takes you. You can't ruin a game like 40K fast enough than trying to be like everyone else. My most fond memories of gaming have always been when friends and I just started out and we didn't know any better. Trying to "not be a noob" is the worst thing you can do. I wish I were a noob again and could just play the game without worrying about anything.

• Like 2

Love what Glacius said above. Figuring out your own style is a big thing! Along those lines army book is the first step. Second without buying any models try cardboard cut outs for a drop pod, rhino, and Razorback for those Tactical Marines you already have.

Plasma is a good special weapon (rifle) but it is a jack of all master of none type. The cannon is one of the least versatile tho as it can not be used in snap fire situations... Also both these weapons could kill the dude with them when he shoots. Weapon choice is mostly preference followed by what you end up playing against must often.

As far as other suggestions they are mostly just play the game. Watch what your guys excel at based on the decisions you make, and what they fail miserably at. Marines at their core are above average at everything, but don't super excel at anything based on body. The specialization comes from their load out, which means even specialized they can still take advantage of some units weaknesses.

The one thing they are typically better at is survival, because of this however allot of enemies go after things to specifically kill them. Boys before toys until you know how to use the toys.

Enough rambling for now, good luck I'm too far north to help more than that...

• Like 1

Hello there,

You've chosen the First Legion, the Sons of the Lion... the Dark Angels.   Their back story supports you shooting from afar to cripple things, then finishing them off in a punishing assault.  Or conversely deep striking in and making a mess of things.  Or running around with the Ravenwing and harassing flanks whilst other forces go for the guts.  Basically, your play style is your play style and the history / fluff of the Dark Angels will support that!   So two thumbs up there!

When I first started playing I just set up units across from each other and rolled dice to get an idea of what does what.  For me it helped seeing that sometimes the "lowly" bolter en masse beats one single lascannon shot sometimes.  Stuff like that.

Have fun.  It's a hobby.  YOUR HOBBY.  Never, ever forget that.  It should provide you enjoyment.  Wins and losses don't mean anything... you'll remember awesome parts of games, great folks you meet and a sense of accomplishment when you get a nice paint job done, etc. 

Read the Dark Angels codex and some units will jump out at you based on their history / fluff and you'll say "oooh, that's what I want my army to do!"  And that's a good first step.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 2

Limited disagreement from me. Two things you should know. 1) As editions and armybooks come and go, everything alternates between meh and awesome, so don't be disappointed if your purchases pan out as week today- in a few years they'll come back to the new hotness. 2) This hobby can get expensive, so a few tips:

GW makes great metallics, washes, and sprays, and good paint. For regular paints, Vallejo is cheaper and just as good to better. For metallics, they are close. Most serious painters seem to use a mix of the two. If serious about that side of it, an airbrush and the big paint set are actually worth the outlay.

GW doesn't do a lot of really good discounts, but their starter sets are typically really nice value. Right now, Dark Vengeance is great, as is Betrayal at Calth. For Marines, the Dark Angels DV addon bundle and Getting Started with Marines kit are also both great value. If you definitely want that thousand points, any of them are good- and that includes getting a second DV set. I did, and I have over 20000 points of marines.

Hope it helps!

If your looking for more DV Dark Angels - I picked up this set last year for my son.  I have been playing… well for a long time and I don't need the Dark Angels.  My son chose to go forward with the Chaos from the box - into a Khorn Deamonkin force.  He is still working on growing that list.  He is new to the game as well.  Anyhow, play what you have - add what you can until you figure out how you like to play the game.  As the others have said - 40k is a hobby first and foremost… have fun.  

That said - I live south of you in Hubbard (south of Wilsonville on I-5 - north of Woodburn.  or - south of Canby and Aurora on 99E)… I have space to play if your looking for garage hammer and although I am relearning the latest edition of 40k.  I am willing to help or work through learning games of 40k.  On top of that - I have half a box of DV figures (the Dark Angles) you can have.  My collection of gaming stuff is growing to large - and if your in this game for a decade or two you will probably experience the same.  :)

-don

I agree with most of what has been said here. Buy bundles, trade, and go to ebay. Rarely buy straight up from GW. PLay the game, find out what works and what doesn't, and what fits your play-style. Generally, 'bad' units that fit how you play will out-perform 'good' units that run counter to your mind-set. Also, Ordo is a great place to learn, dive in!

• Like 1

Do you mean the paints included with the painting kit, or the paints labeled as "Base" on them? Those are two different things.

Generally speaking, you will only need 4-6 different kinds of paint to be able to complete a particular paint scheme (though you can expand this number essentially infinitely depending on how complicated you want to make things.) But I will second the recommendation for washes- they're easily one of the best things GW has yet put out, and getting a black wash and a wash in your army's primary color will make everything look WAY better with very little effort.

Also, as already mentioned, Vallejo paints are cheaper than the GW ones and give you more per bottle; if you're looking to work on the cheap, they are a great option.

• Like 1

The painting kit should have everything you need for regular Dark Angels (and most of their successors IIRC). Of course, you could always make your own successor with a unique attendant color scheme. Either way is encouraged.

I focussed on brush control as much as possible at first, but there are scores of guides for more complicated techniques if you already have the artistic aptitude down. Take pride in everything you paint, even if your first results are not immediately to your liking you are already ahead of the game by painting in the first place. Even so, small mistakes can be brushed over, big ones (and certain Ebay models) can be stripped of paint.

Ebay is your friend, especially regarding the Dark Vengeance models. You can fairly comfortably create Ravenwing Black Knights by replacing the DV bikes' bolters with plasma gun parts. If you use multiple renditions of the DV models, you may want to similarly convert them a bit. They are generally cheaper on Ebay because they are 'snap-fit' as opposed to multi-part plastic. This means that they are generally meant to hold one default pose. Most 40k kits are multi-part, which allows for some easy customization options. If you plan to use more than one set of DV models, it might be a good idea to get some of the baseline kits, build them up, and use the spare parts to differentiate your duplicate squads.

Either way, with some clever hobby knife work, you should be able to swap out weapons, arms and the like with relative ease. Try to avoid putting too much pressure on the blade if you can, although they do say that the blood of martyrs is the seed of the Imperium.

As for tactics, "learning to fight without war is like learning to swim without water". You will see some generally unified opinions on what units are good for their cost, mathematically speaking, but all of the Dark Angels' units are usable, and the Astartes on the tabletop have the versatility to deal with just about any threat you throw at them. Dark Angels in particular are ornery, sinister fellows who can hold the line or take the fight to the enemy equally effectively. Their current formations are strong but the rulebook's Combined Arms Detachment is always a reliable way to build an army. It is good to learn about what works for others, but you will find what tactics work for you best by heading to the miniature battlefield, watching what holes you might have in your army plan, and adapting accordingly.

Try to discuss as much as possible with your opponent before and after the game if you can. This makes for as little confusion as possible once the game starts, I've learned as much from discussing my tactical blunders as much as I have my rare strokes of genius postgame, and resolving possible disputes you can see before the game starts (rules of yours or your opponent's that you are unsure of, which terrain gives which save, etc.) can go a long way in making for a fun game for both parties.

Competitive or no, this is a game, and if you and your opponent are having fun, you have won the most important battle.

I tend to like units that have their lore, aesthetics and mechanics reflect upon one another accurately. I think this trifecta is what makes the hobby so compelling, and the great thing is you can focus on just one or two of those aspects if you are so inclined. Reading the stories, constructing and painting the models, and commanding them in tandem is a rich experience, but it is perfectly acceptable to find a different way of looking at the hobby. It is your hobby after all.

• Like 1