Warlands Campaign

Sherbert

What day should we play the final battle?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What date should we play on for the final mission?

• Tuesday night the 15th
    • Saturday day the 12th
    • Saturday day the 19th

So there are two weeks left until we begin the 6 week long campaign. I have completed the rules for the campaign and what players need to do to build a beginning warband. Please let me know about any mistakes in the rules or confusing rules so that I can clarify them before we start. If there are any rules that you would like changed let me know and ill consider changing them. I will still write up a story and 6 individual missions for the campaign.

There will be rewards for playing with a fully painted and converted warband. models for pedestrians are not required because the scale is different from what most of us play. If you dont have the models or the time you are more than welcome to us my models but you will not get the bonuses for having your own completed warband. 

Please let me know by posting in this thread if you will be able to play for the entire 6 weeks of the campaign. Id like to figure out how many people will be playing. 

Warlands errata

pg 18. Pedestrian activation. Pedestrians only get to move and shoot once. Movement is 6 inches instead of 3. The order is move, shoot, combat. A pedestrian can forfeit its move to make an aimed shot if it is not in a vehicle. Units of pedestrians must make the same actions and still must remain within one inch of each other, unless forced out of cohesion.

Pg 39. Wrecks. When a vehicle wrecks it does not scatter in a random direction. Instead it either turns 45 degrees to the left with a role of 1 or 2, continues straight with a role of 3 or 4, or 45 degrees to the right with a role of 5 or 6. The wreck then continues as normal.

New Rules

Jumping with a vehicle. Sometime vehicles will become airborne off of cliffs or jumps. A vehicle uses its movement until it becomes in contact with the edge of a cliff or jump. It then completes its jump. To complete a jump move the vehicle 1 inch for slow, 2 inches for cruising or 3 inches for fast. The vehicle is moved front to back. Note that these are free inches of movement. When the vehicle lands the driver needs to make a control test at the speed it is moving. If the test is past then it continues its movement. If failed it needs to roll on the out of control chart as normal.

Boarding actions. Sometimes crew will want to jump from one vehicle to another. Vehicles need to be within 2 inches to perform a boarding action. Each crew who wishes to board must make a cool test at the speed of the vehicle being boarded. If failed then the crew falls between the vehicles, treat this as a bailing out action for damage. If successfully boarded, it will result in a combat on the boarded vehicle. The attacker chooses one model and the defender chooses one model. The driver cannot be chosen unless he is the last defending model. Every other model on the vehicle may support the combat. The attacker and defender role for combat against each and get a +1 per model supporting the combat not including the driver. The player who has a higher role after modifications have been applied wins the combat. The gunners can participate in a fight but cannot shoot while in combat. The loser is defeated and the model takes a wound or is removed. The next time the vehicle is activated the combat will resume before the vehicle is moved. Each player picks who will participate in the combat until the combat is finished. If the defender only has a driver he will try to defend himself while driving. Make his attack and if he survives than he must continue to drive the vehicle. Every time he attempts to make a turn or special action he must make a cool test at the speed he is traveling -2.

For example, three models successfully board an enemy vehicle. The defending model has a driver, gunner and a passenger. The defender chooses passenger to defend and the gunner joins the fight giving him a +1 to his combat role. The attacker chooses one of the models that successful boarded the vehicle and gets a +2 to his role.

Grapple Gun. If a vehicle towing are vehicle per the grapple gun rules ends the game with a towed vehicle or moves off the table, the towed the vehicle counts as being captured. See captured vehicles in the after mission section.

The Garage

Adjusted Points Costs for Equipment.

Reliable rick- 1pt

Mule- 2pts

V6 Warrior- 3pts

The Buffalo- 3pts

The Lightning Bolt- 5pts

Bike Engines

Smooth Operator- 3pts

The Pony- 2pts

The Comet- 4pts

The Wanderer- 1pt

The Dune Roller- 3pts 

Black Top Racer tires- 1pt

All Weather Tires- 2pts

Off Road Rebel Tires- 3pts

Off Road Gripper Tires- 4pts

Missile Launcher- 8pts

Twin Missile Launcher- 16pts

Personal Rocket Launcher- 10pts

Adjusted Rules for Equipment

Pg 61. Spikes. In addition to normal rules for spikes they give a -3 penalty for boarding parties.

Pg 63. Flame Thrower. Instead of a vehicle being destroyed on a roll of 5 or 6 it receives D3 points of damage.

New vehicle items

Grappling hooks. 1pt. no structure point. Gives boarders a +1 when boarding a vehicle. Cannot be combined with boarding planks.

Boarding Planks. 3pts. No structure points. Gives boarders a +3 when boarding a vehicle. Cannot be combined with grappling hooks.

Spiked Hubcaps. 1pt. No structure points. When a vehicle performs a nudge it gets an addition D6 for damage and is AP 1. If a devastating damage result occurs from a nudge the first result is a 6 as the spikes hubcaps tear apart a tire. If the vehicle already has tire damage roll on the chart as normal.

All Terrain Tires. 2pts. Any car can purchase all terrain tires. Vehicles with all terrain tires can drive fast on rough terrain but need to make a control test every time a turn is made. If the vehicle suffers tire damage it can no longer drive at fast speed on rough terrain and must make control test as normal.

Tracks. 8pts. 1 structure points. Any vehicle can purchase tracks. Vehicles with tracks can only move at cruising speed but may move at cruising speed over any terrain.

Campaign Rules

Making a Warband

Each warband gets 200pts to buy weapons, chassis, engines, tires, crew and accessories. All of the equipment and crew that is purchased is placed into the stronghold inventory.

Crew

Beginning warbands can only buy 1 Hero and 2 bosses, basic drivers and basic gunners. Warbands can never have more than 3 characters in them at any time. Characters count as a Boss, Hero, Champion and  the leader. A Warband must assign one character the title of warlord. The warlord is the lord of the warband and will always lead them into battle. A Warlord must always be a higher rank than his subordinates. For example, the warlord has the stats of a champion. His subordinates cannot be champions or leaders. A new rule for this campaign is that when a character is bought they do not come with a free personal weapon, it must be purchased like any other gear.

Beginning warbands cannot buy the following items

Beast

Windwagon

Monster truck

Lightning engine

Missile launcher

Armor piercing rounds

Flamerthrower

Assemble the War Party

Before each mission the warband assembles its war party. Each player takes gear from their inventory and creates vehicles and crew for the mission.

After each mission

Each player marks changes to experience and to the warband’s reputation.

Scavenging 

after each mission players may send out a truck to scavenge the wasteland for extra scrap. A warband must have a working truck and engine, nothing else is required. The scavenger party gets to find 3D6 scrap for its efforts. 

Experience

After each mission experience can be assigned to either characters or non-character pedestrians. If a character is assigned experience he gains the stats of the next character. For example, a boss is assigned an experience point; he then becomes a hero and gains the better stats. If a non-character pedestrian is given an experience they become one tier better or become a character. For example, if a driver is given a point of experience they become a pro-driver. If a warrior is given a point of experience he becomes a boss. Note that a warband can never have more than 3 characters. A driver may also be upgraded to a black thumb. Every warband may have one black thumb. The black thumb remains in the warbands stronghold and does not participate in any missions because he is tending to the

Vehicles and Crew after the Mission

Captured Vehicles. If any vehicles are captured at the end of the game the player who captured the vehicle can either scrap the vehicle, or ransom it back to the original owner. If the vehicle is scrapped then all the equipment must be scraped with it. It is worth 3D6 plus 1 for every piece of equipment. If the vehicle is ransomed then it is up to the two players to work out a worthy trade.

Any destroyed vehicles or injured crew must be rolled for to see what happens to them.

If a vehicle is destroyed during a game roll a D10 to see what happens to it. Any result other than one cost D3+1 in repairs.

1.       The vehicle is permanently destroyed along with any equipment including mounted weapons.

2.    Armor weakened- the armor of the vehicle is reduced by 1

3.    Steering jams- the amount of turns in reduced by 1

4.    Fixer upper- the vehicle takes extra time to fix and cannot be used next game but is otherwise fixed.

5.    Annoying squeak- the driver of the vehicle must take control tests at a -1.

6-9. Fixed!

10.  All shiny and chrome! The vehicle is fixed and improved. All previous damage is fixed and has no further effect.

If a character is taken out of action during the game roll a D10

1.       Dead… and all equipment is lost to the buzzards

2.       Chest wound- the toughness of the character is reduced by 1

3.       Leg wound- the movement of the character is reduced by 1

4.       Arm wound- the CC of the character is reduced by 1

5.       Head wound- the RC of the character is reduced by 1

6-9. full recovery- the character makes a full recovery

10. One bad muther [big bad swear word]er- makes a full recovery and gains 1 CL

If a pedestrian, i.e. everyone other than characters, like drivers and gunners, are taken out of action during a mission role D6 on following chart

1-2 dead

3-6 survived

Going to the Doc! If a character has suffered an injury a player may attempt to fix the injury. However, a full recovery is unlikely. The player must pay D3 scrap whether the surgery is a success or not. Roll a D6 on the chart to see the result of the surgery.

1. Uh oh… The patient dies…

2. Which bit was broken again? The Doc performed a surgery on the wrong part of the patient. While the patient was not hurt, he wasn’t fixed.

3. The patient is restin. The surgery was a success but has not woken up. The character misses the next battle.

4-6. Miraculous recovery. The patient is healthy and ready to fight.

Warbands receive warboys according to the reputation. The higher the reputation of the warband, the more warboys flock to the join the fight. Warboys have the stats of warriors but are armed with an ax instead of a firearm. Warboys may never level up as they were not purchased.

Warbands Reputation.

Mediocre!                                          0-3          6 warboys

Riding Eternal!                                   4-6          12 warboys or 6 warboys with fire bombs

Im going to die Historic!                     7-9          18 warboys or 12 warboys with fire bombs

He who grabbed the Sun!                 10-12     18 warboys with fire bombs or 12 warboys with fire bombs and rifles

Once warbands have adjusted their reputation, experience, and damage, they may then purchase further equipment, vehicles and crew that are available.

Weather

Before each mission roll to see what the weather is for the mission.

1-4. Clear Skies.

5. Strong Winds. Roll a D6 to determine which direction the winds are blowing from. Once players have deployed choose one short side of the table to be 1-3 and the other short side of the table to be 4-6. The side that has been rolled will be the source of the strong winds. At the beginning of every game turn roll a D6 and on a 4-6 the Wind Blows. All vehicles are moved D3 inches away from the board edge from where the wind originated. Wreckage is moved in the same direction D6 inches. If vehicles collide treat it as a ram with no initiator.

6. Dust Storm. The mighty dust storm ravages the country. Use the rules for strong winds, but instead use them every turn. In addition twisters have a chance to touch down. At the beginning of each turn roll a D6. On the role of a 1-3 no twister touches down. On a role of a 4-5 a small twister touches down. Use the small blast template to represent a small twister. On a role of a 6 a large twister touches down. Use the large blast marker for the large twister. Get a third party to choose a point on the table. Scatter the template 2D6 and that is where the template is placed. At the beginning of each turn scatter the twister 2D6. If the center point of the blast marker moves off the table then the twister has disappeared. Multiple twisters can be on the table at the same time.  If any vehicles drive into the twister or the twister scatters through any vehicles they are scattered 1D6 inches, wrecks and pedestrians are scattered 2D6. If any vehicles collide with each other or with an immovable object treat it as a ram with no initiator.

• Like 2

Hey Sherbert: Do you have a suggestion for a build (or two) for a good starting warband that should allow for some variety, learning the rules, and plenty of fun? While I know that list building is part of the enjoyment, it's cool to have a starting place.

Sadly I am out due to some medical complications. Ill be in sparingly enough that I can't commit right now. Sorry but have fun.

Boo! I hope all is well.

• Like 1

Ok, I added scavenging for scrap to the after mission section of the rules. 

The people who are interested in playing are; Jim, Brad, Nathan, Joey, Tyler, Kacy, Miles and myself. Kevin, since we have 8 people who wanted to join do you mind not joining? If for some reason someone must drop from the campaign you could take over for them. 

Thanks for the offer Loren. I will let you know if I need a ringer during the campaign.

Sorry to hear that Russ, was looking forward to seeing you around more.

Jim wanted me to demonstrate what a couple of car builds would look like for beginning warbands.

I would highly recommend players having 2-4 buggy chassis, 1-3 truck chassis, and 1-3 car chassis. there are two types of each vehicle that players have access to in the beginning so dont worry about monster trucks, wind warriors, or beasts. For buggies and trucks I would suggest getting tires that can be used off road. Most of the board will considered off road with the exception of roads so build your lists to handle that. You might also want to buy more drivers and gunner so that if a couple end up dying during games you can have extra crew after missions to drive and shoot your vehicles. Other than that its up to each players to spend their 200pts however they want. If someone wants a warband that only has trucks or every vehicle has rams and spikes then do it. This is a none competitive story driven campaign and warbands can bounce back easily from a bad defeat. 

If there are any question please ask before we begin in two weeks. 

• Like 1

Hey folks in the know! My time is brutally short this month, so I'll have a hard time diving into the rules. Still wanna play, though. Any chance I could bother folks to put together a few car builds that I could use as a starting point? Not physical models, just the basic point costs. Otherwise, I'm gonna get pinched and end up building a car with no engine or wheels. 

Ok, it has come to my attention that not everyone has the base rules for the game. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RULES PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR EMAIL AND WILL SEND THEM TO YOU. This is very important because you need to base rules to create a warband. You dont need to bring them with every week if you dont want, but you still need them to reference vehicles rules for the campaign. If everyone can show up with all of their stuff ready each week there is a chance that players will have enough time to play other games in the same evening. So all of the X-wing players can still get your fix or whatever if we all stay organized. 

Also i will post my warband to give players an idea of what to expect for creating warband inventories. I will also post the first mission sometime today or tomorrow so players can begin to for a warparty and decide what vehicles to bring for the first week. 

If there are any concerns about the campaign or rules please ask before we start.

or here is my warband with 200 pts of equipment.

Lord Battler Cleon and his Alky Ruckas

Chassis

2 desert warrior buggy 2 seaters

2 cruiser 2 door

1 truck

1 Rugged raider

1 door bug 2 door

1 small bikes

Engines

2 Reliable rick

3 buffalo

2 V6 warrior

1 pony

Tires

4 sets of off road rebels

1 set of house tires

3 sets of all terrain tires

Crew

1 boss- Battler Cleon

1 hero- Hoon Roscoe

6 drivers

5 gunners

Guns

Grapple gun

2 Mini gun

3 LMG

1 stinger tube

Vehicle equipment

3 grappling hooks

1 front ram

1 cattle bars

Roll cage

Roof mounted turret

Personal weapons

Spud auto gun

Fire bombs

and the first mission.

Scouting the New Lands

Both players are trying to scout as much territory as possible.

Deployment- Players role off to see who deploys first. Whoever wins the role off deploys in one of the 4 table quarters. The deployment zone is 8’ by 8.’ Each player takes turns deploying their vehicles until both forces are deployed.

Mission- each player is scouting out the new territory and must place as many markers. The table is divided into 6 equal areas of 24 inches by 24 inches. However, the areas are not marked before the game begins. Players must eyeball the areas and place the markers. Once the game has ended the areas are measured to see in what area the markers were placed. Each vehicle is carrying one marker. The marker can be dropped when the vehicle is moving at speed slow. The marker is placed in base contact with the rear of the vehicle. A vehicle that is a truck my carry two markers if it does not have a mounted gun. Motorcycles cannot carry markers but can remove them as normal. To remove a marker a vehicle must be stationary and within two inches. A vehicle cannot place and remove a marker in the same turn. Multiple markers can be dropped in each area. If a vehicle is destroyed before the marker is dropped than then marker is destroyed. At the end of the game whoever has the most markers in each area claims it. The Game lasts 6 turns.

Both players get a point of reputation, experience and may also pick one item from the list of non-starting items that is not armor piercing rounds. Armor piercing rounds do not exist for this campaign.

The winner receives 4D10+5 worth of scrap

A draw results in both players getting 2D10 and 2D6+5 worth of scrap

The loser gets 4D6+5 worth of scrap

Secondary objectives

All shiny and chrome- if a player shows up with an entire warband converted and painted that is their own work they receive a reputation.

Master Reconnoiter- if a player can control their opponents deployment region they score a reputation.

Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing but I wanted to make one ridiculous Monster Truck and a few quasi-wiener dudes so this is what I did:

20 - Monster Truck

6 - The Buffalo

8 - Off-Road Gripper

12 - Roof-Mounted Twin Minigun turret

3 - Armor Piercing Rounds

5 - Weapon Link System

4 - Roof Mounted Turret

6 - Plow Ram

3 - Ablative Armor

1 - Fire Extinguisher

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

TOTAL: 76

16 - 2-door Beast

10 - Lightning Bolt

4 - All-Weather Tires

5 - LMG

6 - Plow Ram

3 - Spikes

4 - Roll Cage

3 - Ablative Armor

2 - Nitro

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

TOTAL: 57

14 - 2-door Cruiser

6 - V6 Warrior

4 - All-Weather Tires

5 - LMG

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

TOTAL: 33

8 - 2-door Bug

0 - Reliable Rick

0 - House Tires

5 - LMG

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

TOTAL: 17

8 - 2-door Bug

0 - Reliable Rick

0 - House Tires

5 - LMG

2 - Basic Driver

2 - Basic Gunner

TOTAL: 17

TOTAL: 200

Did I mess anything up?

EDIT: Fixed some stuff I messed up.

I think you took a bunch of chassis we're not allowed to take yet; monster truck, beast, etc.

Is this happening tomorrow? I built a list, but will have to either borrow cars or use un-modded ones. Was I crazy to only take things I could give off-road tires? I thought there were no roads in the future, so I needed TT4 or better for everything.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.