Abyss Beer

Raindog

For those of you who are fans of Deschutes' Abyss beer, it is in at New Seasons. It is spendy at $25 for a large bottle. This weekend, it is on sale with all other Oregon craft beer for $20.

Somebody asked me to be on the lookout for it. I cannot remember who, so a general message is warranted.

• Like 3

think i had a taste of it once.  its good. but much like goose island's 'once a year' imperial release that everyone goes nutts over and pays 20+ a bottle due to 'small batch' shenanigans... i just dont get it lol.  aging does cost a bit more but to put that kind of markup on a beer is silly.  imperial stouts are not like wine so idk why breweries act like it.  imperial stouts are seriously the easiest beers to make as you can hide many flaws(heck you throw 2-3oz/5gal on boil with hops and you almost never taste it!) and experimenting is cake as you can dump a ton of additives and have marginal flavor increases that wont ruin the beer.  as good as deschutes is, its not even in my top 5 for imperial stouts :P and that goose island one is the worst one ive ever had hahaha.  

the best imperial stout i think ive had is by toppling goliath(yes im an iowa home boy but they are one of the highest ranked breweries in the world) and founders is a close second.  both are midwest, but if they ever make it out here do not hesitate to buy them... you wont regret it.  also southern tier makes this unique imperial milk stout that tastes literally like creme brulee(and is called that i think).  i cant have more than one as milk stouts make me a little sick but that is also one of the craziest beers ive ever had...

• Like 1