Anyone else still waiting for AOS to fail and for us to get back to normality?

I recently moved to the PacNW, but my impression has been that KoW has won over the majority of fantasy players, except up here.   Most of my friends who I gamed with in my "hay day" were from all over the country and the large majority quickly converted to KoW.  It may be a function of tournament focus on faster games. The danger of fan rules (9th age) is that house rules spring up, and you can not find consistency between gaming groups/regions.

• Like 2

Further evidence of GW doing its best to kill off fantasy....the "orruks". Oh my god what a pile of steaming dung. Those models are horrible. What is kind of funny is that the artwork for them look more like Mantic's marauders (their sci-fi orks) than GW's previous orcs. Who the hell in GW is approving these designs?? Makes me very happy that I didn't sell down any of my orc collection.

• Like 1

Yeah i kept all of my fantasy orcs and goblins as well. I think the new design shows that they are moving to models that can be used for 40k as well. The artwork certainly is a move away from traditional fantasy orcs. Its definitely not my type of model i would by but i can see a lot of 40k players buying the design up for some mega nobs etc. It made me laugh seeing the mighty and great Andy Chambers ripping them apart on Facebook. I think even now he has lost his patience with GW and AOS. I quote "Wow, just wow. We have truly reached the end times. I'm honestly startled; how many years of working with Orky imagery? 30? Three decades and this is the quintessential essence of it all in the shining new future that is Age of Sigmar? Not-get-it levels of over 9000!"

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I'm sufficiently distant from the collapse of my WFB hobby, I don't miss it.  Malifaux and other smaller games have equally amazing models thanks to 3D printing, and since GW rules have always been pretty bad and horribly supported (FAQ rate, tone, etc.), there's not much to miss!

I am happy 9th Age is still being worked on, because at some point I'd like to break out my Dark Elves or Bretonnians and play with an updated rule system that doesn't require a lot of reworking of bases/trays/etc. but plays a lot like good ol' 8th.  And from what I've read they're fixing a lot of the weaker rules from 8th; seems like a smart group!

But in the meantime, I'm actually happy for the opportunity to check out new games that I wouldn't have had time for if WFB hadn't died.  Malifaux is awesome, and other games await should I get tired of it!  I even took a look at 40k but the rules are so freakin' bad that I luckily didn't have to even spend money on an army to figure out that I had no interest in playing that game.

Bye, GW... it was fun while it lasted :)

• Like 2

I recently moved to the PacNW, but my impression has been that KoW has won over the majority of fantasy players, except up here.   Most of my friends who I gamed with in my "hay day" were from all over the country and the large majority quickly converted to KoW.  It may be a function of tournament focus on faster games. The danger of fan rules (9th age) is that house rules spring up, and you can not find consistency between gaming groups/regions.

I think the only thing needed to create that consistency is a tournament format pdf that lays out any house rules or FAQ in use and is adopted by a wide range of tourney organizers... think Direwolf FAQ of a few years ago.

Otherwise I don't think there's anything intrinsically more "house rule prone" about 9th Age... in fact with good FAQ support, it could be better than WFB in that regard!  WFB required all sorts of house rules to fill the gap between the FAQ releases.

Anyway I think KoW is a great alternative... and faster gameplay?  Yes, please!  I really like their design in general.  Very cool game.

• Like 1

Players: "Your rules suck!  You can't run tournaments!  Such-and-such codex ruined the game!" (repeat for 20 years)

GW: "Fine, you guys have at it if it's so easy."

Players: "..."

GW: "Told you."

Fixed it for you:

Players: "Your rules suck!  You can't run tournaments!  Such-and-such codex ruined the game!" (repeat for 20 years)

GW: "Fine, you guys have at it if it's so easy."

Players: "OK. Here's 9th Age v1.0, based on input from thousands of tournament games."

GW: "..."

Getting set for my 1st game of the new rules tomorrow. If previous beta versions are any indication, it should be a blast!

• Like 3

Current rumor is that AoS is accounting for 30% of GW sales...and climbing:)

If true,,the "fail" is a long ways off.

30%?????? As you said it's a rumour. As I said in my first statement I'm just basing it off of local sales and both would indicate little if no sales of AOS stock.

As someone who has only recently stepped into the entire tabletop gaming universe, I find AoS extremely fun.  I have already made plans for expanding my armies and love the story driven battleplans and campaigns.  I think the models are also incredibly well crafted, the detail has blown my mind.  

When I was younger I obsessed over the GW Fantasy Universe and pored over borrowed WFB rulebooks and fluff whenever I could get my hands on it and in many ways I understand why the tabletop world is upset right now, even though I never had the chance to play the game myself (lack of money, time, patience).  But the release of Age of Sigmar excited me enough to step into this world and I have no plans on leaving.  

I have a feeling that people like myself were the target audience for the release of AoS.  

• Like 4

SparkMage I think that's awesome; WFB was (by far) the most rewarding hobby I've had over the past 30-ish years!  I hope AoS is just as great for you, and that GW sticks with it!  I think it'll be awesome if a new generation of table top fantasy gamers emerges.  I think for many of us it's the impossibility of NOT comparing it to the WFB we knew and loved that makes it tough to enjoy... without that in the way I can believe it'd be a fun game indeed :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Even if AoS was failing as bad as it is now, being able to play games with the 40k guys would mean regular games. And AoS went to round bases anyway, so no issues there.

Fluff-wise, warp travel should be able to take you anywhere and anywhen, plus magic....

And as for the scale of the battles, they could certainly make up some fluff that has the fantasy guys having access to special metals or something, where their armor and weapons work just fine against 40k forces.

GW doesn't need to force the two games together, but making them compatible would be really smart.