New /-ish Car options... things to think about?

Torg

OK , I know some things about cars... (family of mechanics, wreaking yards.. tow trucks lol).  I am in the final stages of my VW-  "diesel class-action" settlement.  I sell my car back in January (all steps done now - and I have a scheduled date with the dealer to get the payout).

Which brings me to my opinion search... I currently have a 2011 Golf (Diesel)... has great HP and Torque.  I love this car, great MPG (45-48 average for me with years of records.. over 60 MPG on a few long hwy trips ).  But I don't want a change up on VW's dime... (I'll have new car payments of course.  But they will be supplying the down payment)

choices on my short list:

A) VW GTI /  I have been looking hard at Used Golf / GTI's... (2015 +) - because I can get a very similar car - gas powered... (HP and Torque will be very similar).  MPG will be acceptable. (33 or more hwy).

B) Audi A4 (sportback hybrid)... basically over my price range... but I could do it - especially if I could get a used fleet.  Power and MPG will be good - but highly doubt I could make one happen at a price I would be ok with.  This was the only Hybrid I could stomach :P

C) Subaru Crosstrek... with the current weather issues - it seems to have nice utility.  My wife has an Outback and I have driven it a few times over the last week or so and - it gets you there.  MPG are good on the crosstrek.  BUT... this thing is gutless.. seriously.  But I could see pursuing this - but this feeling may fade lol.  (sunny days and dry curvy roads ... yeah - nice).

D) Mini Copper - clubman (4 dr - AWD)  -- used of course lol.  But MPG isn't that great compared to the rest... but has decent HP/Torque... not as good as the GTI ...or the Audi ... but decent.

----

Things I avoid... Jeeps and Fords.  I don't need to have AWD (it would just be nice sometimes)... I don't need to tow anything (I have other options for that).  I need a daily driver that will be fun enough to drive - and comfortable enough for the couple long road trips every year (out to New Mexico this summer)... normal PNW stuff as well.

Anyhow, this is my short list - but I am probably missing something - or just need to rationalize better lol.  So just looking for opinions from others - especially if you have experience with the options.

-d

• Like 1

On your list, I think the mini drives the best. It's handling and seating is amazing. Only complaint is it's low profiling seating can be annoying to get in and out of after long drives.

I would just spend the extra on a touring forester and avoid the cross, as you said it is gutless and boring to drive. Wrx from Subaru gives you a much better ride.

• Like 2

Scooby WRX! Cant go wrong and a lot more fun! Audis and VW's sell on isn't gonna be as much as the subaru and the audi / VW you will get about 150k miles out of the max before major issues start going wrong. I have had VW's all my life and just recently changed over to toyotas and am comfortable i will be getting 250k miles plus out of it and the sell on is very good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Mother just got a Subaru Outback (2016, I think) which she very much enjoys. She lives in Rainer, Oregon, which is hilly and involves a lot of driving (Highway 30) to meet me in Hillsboro, Oregon (when we meet).

I'm not really a car person, so I'm not sure what "Gutless means" regarding cars. She says it does hills fine. Though if your wife already has one, there is logic in getting a second of the same make of car in your household - spare parts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... well friday I sell this car back to VW... and start the real looking for a replacement.  I have kinda settled in on 2 main options...  Lifestyle centric decisions mostly.  Either the Subie Crosstrek (utility - decent mpg- dependability)  vs. the VW Golf GTI ( similar performance that I already have - fun to drive - comfort - etc.)  There is a couple outliers that I have looked at... but I keep coming back to these two.  

• Like 1

Is it possible that an offspring of yours driving the vehicle? My son is 12, and this has become a very real cobsideration on my next vehicle purchase. Currently driving a 99 Protegé with 121k on it. There is a chance this may be his first car. Actually, it handles a lot like the 82 CorollaTercel I had in high school. Leans me towards not letting him have a squirrelly little thing.