New 40k edition

pretre

Why would a gunline have to set up 4.1" apart? It doesn't sound like the charging unit gets the 3" move. If it does, then it is really weighted towards melee units. Also, you can't move through units, and they should have to move to the closest enemy model if following AoS, IIRC. Same with charging. Otherwise you could charge unit A, but only with the tip of your unit, using your charge distance to get within 3" of B, then during the consolidate, you charge into B, denying overwatch. That would be very gamey. Bleach.

I'll wait until I see the rules in full. They really just need to release the freaking rules and end the speculation.

Well I am officially ready now for WH40k 8th edition. All of the 7th edition rules/cards I owned have been shipped off to a lucky ebayer and in preparation for WH40k 8th edition I have been playing its predecessor for the past year otherwise known as AoS. But seriously I can't wait for the new edition and bizarrely I am even excited for the newer larger Space Marines and holy hell Death Guard!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Why would a gunline have to set up 4.1" apart? It doesn't sound like the charging unit gets the 3" move. If it does, then it is really weighted towards melee units. Also, you can't move through units, and they should have to move to the closest enemy model if following AoS, IIRC. Same with charging. Otherwise you could charge unit A, but only with the tip of your unit, using your charge distance to get within 3" of B, then during the consolidate, you charge into B, denying overwatch. That would be very gamey. Bleach.

I'll wait until I see the rules in full. They really just need to release the freaking rules and end the speculation.

They specifically mention charging units get this move as well.

Again, for the purpose of moving models fewer times, this isn't a step in the right direction.  Now on the turn that one charges, the unit moves in movement, then again in the charge phase, and then in the fight phase.

For helping melee units, this certainly does.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fluger said:

Again, for the purpose of moving models fewer times, this isn't a step in the right direction.  Now on the turn that one charges, the unit moves in movement, then again in the charge phase, and then in the fight phase.

For helping melee units, this certainly does.

Yah that's true but at least in AoS if they are already next to the closest model they can't make a 3" move. So even after a charge depending on how close they are to enemy models they may not get a 3" move at all. Same when the defending unit gets to attack.

I'm not sure how I feel about initiative leaving entirely. I'm cool with chargers striking first, but for ongoing combats it seems like there's some sort of resource management mechanic. As a DE player, I don't want to see my biggest combat advantage disappear entirely. 

I look forward to finding out more. 

Imagine the following scenario:

Unit A charges unit X,
Unit B charges unit Y,
Unit C is in combat with unit Z.

Now in the combat phase, unit A and B attack first, as they charged. Now players start to take turns with the other units. So we don't know if player 1 is going to get to attack with unit C first, or if player 2 will get to attack with unit X, Y, or Z. We don't know yet who gets first turn after chargers go. This is where unit abilities may cut in, or stratagems.

15 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm not sure how I feel about initiative leaving entirely. I'm cool with chargers striking first, but for ongoing combats it seems like there's some sort of resource management mechanic. As a DE player, I don't want to see my biggest combat advantage disappear entirely. 

I look forward to finding out more. 

Note they already made caveats for certain weapons to bypass the standard rule, so it seems possible certain fast armies might get some rule.

As well, I suspect with changes to movement that DE will be charging more frequently anyway.

From Facebook:

Warhammer 40,000 wrote:Make it 100%... models cannot advance and charge. unless they have some rule giving them an exception to that.

Warhammer 40,000 wrote:There is a standard 1" range of weapons, but with the 3" pile in before you attack, just about every model should be able to fight.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Just re-read the shooting rules. So pistols are good. You can shoot them at the closest enemy even if you are in combat. Slugga boyz will actually use their sluggas!

You could also shoot your way out of combat and then charge another unit in the same turn.

10 minutes ago, pretre said:

From Facebook:

Warhammer 40,000 wrote:There is a standard 1" range of weapons, but with the 3" pile in before you attack, just about every model should be able to fight.

That opens the door to some melee weapons having longer ranges.  Maybe scything talons will be 2"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Imagine the following scenario:

Unit A charges unit X,
Unit B charges unit Y,
Unit C is in combat with unit Z.

Now in the combat phase, unit A and B attack first, as they charged. Now players start to take turns with the other units. So we don't know if player 1 is going to get to attack with unit C first, or if player 2 will get to attack with unit X, Y, or Z. We don't know yet who gets first turn after chargers go. This is where unit abilities may cut in, or stratagems.

Well we don't know for sure yet on the specifics and I hate to keep comparing the rules to AoS. But I bet it will work like this: all units that charged that turn attack, then active player picks a unit, then non-active player picks a unit, they continue back and forth until all units have fought. It would give a pretty good advantage to the active player but you have overwatch involved, failed charges happening and army/unit special rules to change things up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluger said:

That opens the door to some melee weapons having longer ranges.  Maybe scything talons will be 2"?

Or something like Hormagaunts might get their old version of Bounding Leap that let them attack from farther away than normal. Force Staves and GK Halberds and such getting 2" range, perhaps.

• Like 2

So, with the rules we have so far, I'm really hoping for one very important change in 40K, and it is looking to me like it will be good...

I want the days to be gone when your unit in a rhino, and their rhino gets blowed up in your opponent's shooting phase, that your unit cannot assault on the next turn.  I despise this rule.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andozane said:

So, with the rules we have so far, I'm really hoping for one very important change in 40K, and it is looking to me like it will be good...

I want the days to be gone when your unit in a rhino, and their rhino gets blowed up in your opponent's shooting phase, that your unit cannot assault on the next turn.  I despise this rule.  

Well, they did that because people hated the fact that players were stacking dudes in rhinos, rushing them across the field into your lines, popping smoke, and laughing as you tried to blow them up, only to have their dudes assault you next turn regardless.

Of course, now rhinos are going to have HP and an armor save like everything else. So hopefully it won't be as bad trying to knock them out.