Post-Apocalyptic Terrain recommendations

Andrewgeddon

#1 - good on you for playing Dark-Age - love the game - if your looking for more opponents let me know.  :)

#2 - Terrain - as with any mini-game you can go costly or not so costly.  I have done a couple kick starters for some cool stuff by Kraken wargames terrain - which were nice scatter pieces.  GW 40k stuff does pretty well as well  (I've had my eyes on the Industrial Terrain Box myself) ... of course the new Necromunda and industrial GW stuff looks great.

1 hour ago, Torg said:

#1 - good on you for playing Dark-Age - love the game - if your looking for more opponents let me know.  :)

Definitely! I should clarify, when I say "my buddy and I have been playing," it's more like "my buddy and I have played a game," heh. But I love the minis and the setting, and I've kinda decided to "go the whole hog" on a few of the smaller scale game I play (Dark Age, Malifaux, and maybe looking at Firestorm Planetfall), rather than continuing to invest in the games I already have plenty of minis for that I just end up selling off after a while (Fantasy, 40K, BB). My hope is I'm able to get something going somewhat regularly (maybe monthly) for Dark Age, and would be cool to have you man! Hopefully we can find something that works with everyone's schedule :cool:

1 hour ago, Torg said:

#2 - Terrain - as with any mini-game you can go costly or not so costly.  I have done a couple kick starters for some cool stuff by Kraken wargames terrain - which were nice scatter pieces.  GW 40k stuff does pretty well as well  (I've had my eyes on the Industrial Terrain Box myself) ... of course the new Necromunda and industrial GW stuff looks great.

I looked at the Kraken stuff, seems really good! Unfortunately I missed out on the KS, and it doesn't look like they sell the scatter terrain on their website. Crooked Dice look to have some good stuff at reasonable prices. I am looking for a few ruined buildings at reasonable prices, but I think I'm going to try and stay away from the GW stuff, since it feels very... well, GW, heh.

Battle Systems makes modular terrain assembled from durable cardstock and plastic clips.  When I first decided to play TNT, I purchased both their City Block and Shanty Town sets.  After assembling the City Block terrain, I realized that it's not very practical for weekly gaming at a game store.  Transporting partially assembled buildings risks damaging the cardstock, and completely assembling and dissembling is too time consuming for 4 hours of game play at Dark Tower.  If I played at home, it would be a different story, because I wouldn't have to transport it and I'd have much more time for set up and clean up.  

Long story short, I chose to go with traditional plastic and resin terrain and now I have two boxes of Battle Systems terrain gathering dust.  I'm going to hold on to the City Block terrain for playing The Walking Dead, but I want to find a new home for the Shanty Town set, which is unopened and still has the plastic wrap on it.  It retails at $95, but I'm willing to give you the Ordo Fanaticus discount and sell it to you for $50 (plus shipping).

oThxN7.png

ZylAE9.png

http://shop.battlesystems.co.uk/shanty-town-43-p.asp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koyote said:

Battle Systems makes modular terrain assembled from durable cardstock and plastic clips.  When I first decided to play TNT, I purchased both their City Block and Shanty Town sets.  After assembling the City Block terrain, I realized that it's not very practical for weekly gaming at a game store.  Transporting partially assembled buildings risks damaging the cardstock, and completely assembling and dissembling is too time consuming for 4 hours of game play at Dark Tower.  If I played at home, it would be a different story, because I wouldn't have to transport it and I'd have much more time for set up and clean up.  

Long story short, I chose to go with traditional plastic and resin terrain and now I have two boxes of Battle Systems terrain gathering dust.  I want to hold on to the City Block terrain for playing The Walking Dead, but I want to find a new home for the Shanty Town set, which is unopened and still has the plastic wrap on it.  It retails at $95, but I'm willing to give you the Ordo Fanaticus discount and sell it to you for $50.

oThxN7.png

ZylAE9.png

http://shop.battlesystems.co.uk/shanty-town-43-p.asp

Not trying to step on toes but I'd totally be interested in that shanty town for necromunda...:biggrin:

52 minutes ago, Koyote said:

Vonvilkee, if you have the money I can bring it to Dark Tower tonight, 6:30ish.

<checking wallet> I have the cash! How late you staying? I don't have a game and would like to spend time with the child but could come down closer to bed time. I also have a game with sigur on the 19th...

yes - I have some of the Warsnal dark age line - good stuff.  MDF and plastic card.  

What is nice on Dark Age is that depending on the factions your doing - the terrain can be almost any theme really.  Brood in the swampy deltas, Dragryi (depending on caste), CORE - nice dry dusty junk lol, Outcasts can take a old-timey western theme almost. The other human factions range into the gothic themes.  K2... mayan jungle or stonework step pyramids~. 

I've scratch build several old buildings and "labs" for my old outposts / scavenger areas as well.  

-d

1 hour ago, Raindog said:

Looks good! I knew about Warsnal's DA stuff, but didn't know about DeathRay's terrain.

1 hour ago, Torg said:

yes - I have some of the Warsnal dark age line - good stuff.  MDF and plastic card.  

What is nice on Dark Age is that depending on the factions your doing - the terrain can be almost any theme really.  Brood in the swampy deltas, Dragryi (depending on caste), CORE - nice dry dusty junk lol, Outcasts can take a old-timey western theme almost. The other human factions range into the gothic themes.  K2... mayan jungle or stonework step pyramids~. 

I've scratch build several old buildings and "labs" for my old outposts / scavenger areas as well.  

-d

I really should scratch build some stuff, but finding the time is a real pain. I do like that the terrain can kinda be whatever. I'm toying with the idea of using "gothic" style ruins, that way I could use it for Mordheim / Malifaux as well.

4 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

Does the game require mostly throw terrain (like little boxes and stuff), or buildings that you can enter?

Or is it a healthy mix of the two?

Probably a mix is what I'm aiming for; some "area" terrain, some ruins, and some LOS blocking stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

That GW tree set would look good for post apocalyptic terrain. Just don't attach the leaves, or if you do, paint them sickly with scorched bits or otherwise defaced bark. Could also mount them so as to be the trees in an urban setting, rather forest trees, by having them growing out of a sidewalk square, probably distroying the sidewalk in the process, with a post apocalyptic setting.