Warhamster Autumn Mordheim Campaign

Koyote

18 hours ago, Scipiano said:

Could not make opening night but I plan to be there next week and participate in the festivities.

Curious about this; if I were to get someone blooded in the first month would they be a particpant henceforth, or are we locked in to the 15 interested initially? The limit on free Syvkanian Guides is understood, of course.

That’s great news. What warband did you decide on?

The campaign's primary purpose is to give people an opportunity to play Mordheim, so anyone who wants to join the campaign, certainly may.  The more participants, the easier it will be for players to schedule a game.

People are free to join at anytime during the campaign. 

If I run out of Sylvanian Scout models, I will figure something out. 

• Thanks 1

My game went pretty disastrously. I had a plan to kill a few zombies, grab a couple treasures, then lose enough henchmen to voluntarily rout.

The plan went awry at "kill a few zombies". My leader smote one with ease then everyone got bogged down despite outnumbering the zombies. We got surrounded by witch hunters, caught in the open, and mercilessly slaughtered.

But now a completely new Pit Fighter warband bearing identical names and equipment are escaping slavery in Tilea and seeking to throw off pursuit in Sylvania.

There was actually quite a comical moment where the bloodied and broken warband and the new one passed each other on the highway. All the doppelgangers did double-takes (doppletakes), then an uneasy silence fell over the new gang--determined not to end up like those poor, hapless chumps...

And all because Jim's witch hunters mistook Oenomaus' "skelly-bones" warpaint as an actual skeleton because they're stupid, stupid jerk-bullies.

• Like 2

I will be at Dark Tower tomorrow with my Mordheim stuff, including the unclaimed Sylvanian Guides. Hopefully, others will show up with their warbands, but if we don't get enough people for everyone to pair up, I'd be happy to host and referee a multi-player scenario.

WxWd79.png

If I have time to complete it, my new centerpiece will make its first appearance.  It's 4Ground's Tueden League Windmill.   I doubt that I will have time to add fire damage to it, so if it does appear it will likely be in its pristine state, as pictured below.

yARbCv.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nathonicus said:

I missed like week, but I'll be there tomorrow. Do I just make a starting warband from the rules?

To get started, please read the first post of this thread and the attached Setting and Campaign packets.

Next, create a 500 gc warband per the standard rules.

Each hero that begins with experience points (e.g. Mercenary Captains and Champions), gets one free advance roll at the beginning of the campaign.  This roll must be witnessed by another player.

Your warband will begin the campaign with a Sylvanian Guide (Beggar) hired sword, at no cost.  In addition, you may begin the campaign with up to one additional hired sword, at normal cost.

Typically, starting warbands can access only the equipment listed in their warband's rules.  Due to the setting, starting warbands may purchase torches (1 gc each) and lanterns (5 gc each).

Don't forget to print the last page of the Campaign Packet.  You will use this roster to keep track of your warband's opponents, win/loss record, and campaign points.

Now get to work you lousy Grot!  0iTrCO.gif

I'll be around as well tomorrow to help folks catch up if they didn't get a game in last week. I had fun being "the catch up" guy with TNT and would be happy to reprise my role with Mordheim. As for Shawn's previous post about our game last week, I have never seen two warbands more unable to harm each other. The rolling was atrocious. I realized very quickly that shooting in Mordheim is not the best with all the modifiers tacked on so I'm very glad I didn't go with a Thunderer heavy build to start with. The highlight of the game for me was my Dwarf noble, facing down three of Shawn's Kislevites, parrying the first two attackers with back to back 6s and then proceeding to decapitate the third fellow who was wielding a 2h weapon. An epic moment, much to Shawn's consternation. Another high point was that for his free advance one of my Troll Slayers reached Toughness 5, and after the battle my Dwarf Engineer advanced to T5 as well. Thanks game!

2 hours ago, smashthedean said:

I'll be down around 7 to hopefully get a game in this week.

This is a good opportunity to discuss how one finds opponents to play.

SCHEDULING GAMES

Typically, campaign players begin trickling in to Dark Tower shortly after 5 pm on Tuesdays (this includes me).  The next wave (ripple) typically shows up shortly after 6 pm and the last of the arrivals typically get there around 7 pm. 

Players generally pair up on a first come first serve basis, and if everyone is paired up by the time the last person shows up, the late arrival doesn't get a game.  After a week or two of this, 'late arriver' gives up on the campaign. 

This isn't how it has to be. 

If you plan to show up later in the evening, say 6:30  pm  or 7 pm, I recommend that you proactively reach out to other players via phone, text, PM, or this thread, and try to reserve a game. 

Below is a list of players who have stated that they want to participate in the campaign.  Please note, that if you are not on this list, you aren't excluded from the campaign.  Anyone can join at any time.

I've highlighted the names of players who either showed up last week or indicated that they will show up tonight.  If you want to reserve a game, these folks are your best bet.

If your regular schedule prohibits you from showing up early, PM me your normal ETA and I will put it  next to your name.  This way others with similar ETAs will know who to reach out to.

Of course, campaign games aren't restricted to Tuesday nights.  If you can find a player who wants to play on a different day or hour, feel free to schedule a game with him.

LIST-O-PLAYERS

DuskSeer - Middenheim Mercenaries

GalaxyChief - Bretonnians

JMGraham -Witch Hunters

Koyote -Kislevites

Munkie - Pit Fighters

Nathonicus - Human Mercenaries

Scipiano -Human Mercenaries or Chaos Marauders

Sherbert -Witch Hunters

Sigurd BC - Dwarf Treasure Hunters

Smashthedean - Undead

Sounder - Skaven

The Moat -Undead

The Rat Catchers - Pirates

VonVilkee -Night Goblins

Wiccus -Ostlander Mercenaries

uI1tY6.png

On 10/15/2018 at 12:22 PM, nathonicus said:

I missed like week, but I'll be there tomorrow. Do I just make a starting warband from the rules?

Jake, did you still want that Ratnik?

That I do.

Consequently, did you want to grab a game of Mordheim?

Since I have recently come into a collection of suitable Viking Northmen and picked up a Werewolf, I will be going with Norse Explorers, ready to raid, trade, and evade.

55 minutes ago, nathonicus said:

Thanks for the guide! Ok, now I HAVE to have my Dwarfs ready for next week.  So let it be written, so let it be done!

That's great news!

Remember, you can play Infinity any time, but the window to play Mordheim at DT opens up only once per year and typically doesn't stay open for very long.

1534797217.5981-smiley.gif

• Like 1

Played another campaign game last night.  This time my opponent was Jake and his accursed Norse Explorers.

It was Jake's first game of the campaign, so we played the Wyrdstone Hunt.  Predictably, Jake and I cleared away the zombies and each claimed two of the five treasures (wyrdstone).  The fifth treasure was located on the walkway of my Mordheim table's new centerpiece, the Tueden League Windmill. 

Even though the walkway creates a bit of an overhang, we mutually agreed that models could climb  up to it from all sides.  Once this was decided, the rest of the battle involved our two warbands slugging it out on and around the windmill. We battled up and down stairs and on the walkway.  At one point, I even attempted one of the most ridiculous actions in the game, a diving charge, but poor Oleg wasn't up to the task and he ended up landing badly and suffering a wound.

Jake's Norse made it up onto the windmill's walkway first.  Once he was in place, the narrow walkway made it difficult for me to use my numbers to my advantage.  Near the end of the game he moved his insanely powerful Beserker (4 strength 6 attacks) to the top of the stairs.  From that point the battle began to resemble the Battle of Stamford Bridge, with a single Norseman champion back holding back a flood of attackers, but instead of defending a narrow bridge, he was defending a narrow stairway.   In two turns that evil Norseman took out 4 of my models. :sad:

Just like my first game of the campaign, my opponent voluntarily routed, but took with him 3 of the 5 treasures. 

Both warbands ended the scenario pretty bloody.  I took out-of-action the Norse's Jarl, his Ulfwernar, and several henchmen.  All of the Norse except for a single henchmen recovered.  Jake took out-of-action two of my heroes and three of my henchmen.  All but a single Cossack henchmen recovered, although some of the latter ended up with a permanent injury.   The zombies dragged down and killed Durt, my wretched Sylvanian Guide. 

Post game, both Jake and I did quite well.  We both got quite a few rolls on the Advance tables and each earned a nice pile of gold crowns.

I continue to be disappointed by Kislev Ranger, so I think I'll send her back to Kislev and hire a different hired sword. I need a fighter with a bit more punch.

1534797209.0046-smiley.gif1534797213.9167-smiley.gif

• Like 2

Spartakrieger slowed his pace and lowered his massive flail-- hands still shaking with adrenaline. 

"I must be more than this now", he thought as fought to keep the bloodlust at bay.

Killing was all he knew, all he'd ever been allowed to know. But not anymore. His men and women were free now, and tearing these Tilean mercenaries apart wouldn't solve their problems. The Tilean slavers were their problem. Mercenaries would keep coming until the slavers ran out of gold. 

"Oenemaus, call every everyone back!", Spartakrieger called. "We've got the treasure, we need to withdraw before we lose anyone else."

He looked to the bridge where Jaguar lay dead. Gannikson, the Dwarf Slayer, outnumbered three-to-one and barely fending off a flurry of blows, was already cut and bleeding in half dozen places. "This wouldn't be the proper death for the slayer," Spartakrieger thought. Though he knew the Dwarf would rage at him tonight, likely with a brawl to settle it, having been robbed of a chance at death.

____________________________________________________________________________________

My game 1, MkII went a lot more according to plan:

Kill a few zombies, gather treasure, lose enough henchmen to rout.

It helps if you get rules right. @JMGraham we done fudged up in our game. We were rolling injury results (knocked down, stunned, dead) on successful wounds against the knocked down zombies, that's why they were so hard to kill! Against knocked down models, not only do you auto-hit, but you also just take them out of action after a successful wound (and failed saves). Oopsie.

So yeah, killed zombies, grabbed 3 treasures, put down a couple Tileans and lost 2 of my pursuers (henchmen) I had initially pulled my heroes back after they grabbed treasure, but my 3rd pursuer with a buckler and a dagger I threw out to slow Gage's rush towards treasure absolutely refused to die. He took on 3 Tileans, killed one with his dagger and held the other 2 for something like 7 combat phases with a mix of Gage's poor rolls and a few successful parries. So then I thought I had a chance of crushing that flank (and grabbing an extra treasure) so I sent Spartakrieger and Oenemaus back towards the fray.

I was on the turn where I'd be able to charge my heroes into the stuck-in-combat Tileans when I failed the rout test. Probably for the best, though, because if I had gone on another turn, I likely would have lost my slayer on the bridge. Slayers are the only semi-resilient hero in a glass cannon faction and having them take serious injuries early in a campaign can be really detrimental. 

After the battle, Gage rolled "Captured" on the serious injury table and Pit Fighters have a special rule where they can make captured heroes fight them in the pit.

"Don't worry, buddy, we won't sell you to the slavers. We don't like slavers. I'm just gonna wail on you with this flail for a bit, because we're nice guys."

So Spartakrieger beat 50 gold crowns and 2 XP out of him and sent him back to his warband with naught but his birthday suit. His buckler I sold to pay the pitiful wretch of a guide, while the sword mysteriously grew 3 times its size, like the Grinch's heart, so I gave it to the Pit Fighter Ogre I recruited with my postgame findings and cash piñata.

Meet Theokoles! I ordered him up at Dark Tower last night and he should be in next Friday!

Edited by Munkie
Remove pic for storage
  • Like 1

@Munkie:  I love that model.  It's my favorite GW Maneaster mini.   For years, I've been meaning to put paint on mine, but never really had a good reason.  I tried to give myself that reason by searching for an Ogre Bodyguard during my most recent post-game sequence, but sadly, I failed.  

@Nathonicus:  Are you playing Dwarf Treasure Hunters or Dwarf Rangers?

• Like 1

An excerpt from "Count Draklea's Revenge" as recorded by Govelius the Necromancer

Kaldezeit 16

After centuries in exile, the Count has returned to his homeland of Sylvania to reclaim his ancestral estate and feast upon the blood of the fools who have taken up residence within his domain. Shortly after dusk, our warband approached the crossing of the River Stir along the northern borderlands and were met with a coven of foul-smelling Skaven seeking to plunder the nearby settlement for treasure...

---

I got my first game of the campaign in against Christian's Clan Pestilens Skaven and it ended in a solid victory in my favor. My MVP was definitely my Vampire, Count Draklea, for killing a Zombie and ending two Skaven while remaining unscathed. My Ogre Bodyguard, The Beast, did great as well, killing off two Zombies and taking out the Skaven leader. Post-game I got lots of levels across by warband, including a juicy Strength boost for one of my Ghouls. I also found a dead Priest of Mor that I was able to make into a free Zombie and a Lucky Charm in an abandoned building so very nice overall!

I'm enjoying the Undead quite a bit so far. I was worried about everyone other than my Vampire being scrubs, but picking up the Ogre has helped give me another good threat on the board. Looking forward to hopefully getting in another game next week!

• Like 1

Ulrik's Shieldbreakers rowed hard along the River Stir with reports of a weakened Imperial Province ripe for plunder. They docked first at an abandoned, burnt down hamlet that their guide said might not have been as thoroughly picked over as it looked. Dumitru the Sylvanian, affectionately dubbed "Skakkr" (scraggly, twisted) by his newfound masters, kept point through the village. Earning his bread for the day, he spotted a group of burly, mustachioed warriors traipsing with some swagger through the city. The Norse knew these warriors well. The frequent raids from the Northern Tribes had given both Kislev and Norsca much experience fighting one another. The Shieldbreakers would use the cover of darkness to strike hard and with as little warning as possible, for the Kislevites were no strangers to war themselves.

Though slightly fewer in number, the Norse made a good account of themselves as Shawn said above. I enjoyed the use of esoteric skills like hide and climb being paramount in our match. Don't forget your torches and lanterns, lads! The windmill turned out to be quite a focal point, with my merciless marauders treating the walkways along the building as they would gunwales and decking.

Enough fighting men got the beat down that retreating to live another day seemed the best course.

Erlend Erlsson was the only loss, his corpse dragged away with the wounded as the Norse beat a hasty retreat. The Norsemen built a pyre for the man, and as the flames climbed higher, they reflected in the eyes of the Jarl presiding over the ceremony. Hatred festered in Jarl Ulrik against the Kislevite leader; for the death of a shieldbrother, yes, but more importantly for snatching away Ulrik's first victory in this blighted land.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, Munkie said:

Spartakrieger Jr. slowed his pace and lowered his massive flail-- hands still shaking with adrenaline. 

"I must be more than this now", he thought as fought to keep the bloodlust at bay.

Killing was all he knew, all he'd ever been allowed to know. But not anymore. His men and women were free now, and tearing these Tilean mercenaries apart wouldn't solve their problems. The Tilean slavers were their problem. Mercenaries would keep coming until the slavers ran out of gold. 

"Oenemaus Jr., call every everyone back!", Spartakrieger Jr. called. "We've got the treasure, we need to withdraw before we lose anyone else."

He looked to the bridge where Jaguar Jr. lay dead. Gannikson Jr., the Dwarf Slayer, outnumbered three-to-one and barely fending off a flurry of blows, was already cut and bleeding in half dozen places. "This wouldn't be the proper death for the slayer," Spartakrieger Jr. thought. Though he knew the junior Dwarf would rage at him tonight, likely with a brawl to settle it, having been robbed of a chance at death.

Fixed it for you!

• Haha 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.