Tyranids are here!

pretre

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

6jmwkn.png

That is bs, now he has to take a dangerous terrain test :-\

A point reduction is nice, and now he can start on the board using his trail so I guess that is the trade.

Hmmm, in regards to the lictors, looks like they are functionally identical to before with the slight buff of being AP5 in general.  With a drop in points they seem to be a smidge better than before.  Not sure if they are worth it at all, but at least they aren't terrible.  

They did gain an extra attack as well, which is better then the reroll 1s they had before.  They gained Fear also (I know big whoop but its still something if not extremely small), they also lost the reserve manipulation.  At 50 points and considering elites are not as dominated by the need for antitank as before I can see a place for lictors.  Like say guiding in mawlocs or spore mines.  Not amazing but hey I own 6 lictors so itd be fun to see what they can do.

I can totally see investing points in two units of 3 and Deathleaper.  The -3 Ld would be brutal against psykers.  I'd still want the last elite slot for venomthropes I think.  

I can see a lot of the moving pieces fitting together to form a highly competitive OFCC-style list, but I just don't think it has any real answers to Taudar.  :/

First stab based on the Spanish version:  

Prime:  140
  Adrenal Glands

Deathleaper:  130

8 Tyranid Warriors:  320
  Adrenal Glands, Rending Claws

20 Hormagaunts:  100

3 Lictors:  150

3 Lictors:  150

3 Venomthropes:  135

2 Carnifexes:  270
  Adrenal Glands

2 Carnifexes:  270
  Adrenal Glands

The hope is to create enough target saturation that something gets through.  The whole army has fleet (outside of the venomthropes) and there's lots there that is going to be drawing S8 shooting.  The carnifexes WILL be on people by turn 3 at the latest, and the horms could be there in 2 turns.  Lictors could infiltrate or deep strike depending on mission/opponent and will add to the target saturation as well as giving me the ability to show up in uncomfortable places (like the back of a Volkswagen).  

The list has ZERO answers for flyers beyond just covering the board as much as possible, and it has REALLY limited synapse.  However, I like the feel of it.  

Again, I'm sure Taudar would just lol this off the table more or less, but this is a list that will present quite a few challenges to quite a few armies.  

Yeah, it's just a template.  It has 35 pts spare already and you can squeeze more by...squeezing...  

What do spines on fexes do?  Why can't they charge through terrain now?  

I didn't realize flesh hooks weren't on there already.  That's 32 points right there to add them to the warriors.  Not sure what better gear I'd want on the prime, he's already ludicrously expensive for what he does...  

As far as an answer to mech, it has pleny of answers, but they are all in melee.  Fleeting fexes and lictors with rending are a pretty good answer.  As well, mech isn't so much of a thing anymore.  The one main army that does it well is Eldar in waveserpents. 

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I thought didn't because he arrived from reserve not deepstrike. I know it is a minor complaint but its just absurd.

Run is a solution but at the cost of shooting his flesh hooks which is an awesome wild card. I can remeber killing a russ on a ridiculous roll. 2 free str 6 rending shot is fairly decent. You can shoot anywhere. Rear armor on high value targets.

I thought didn't because he arrived from reserve not deepstrike. I know it is a minor complaint but its just absurd.

Run is a solution but at the cost of shooting his flesh hooks which is an awesome wild card. I can remeber killing a russ on a ridiculous roll. 2 free str 6 rending shot is fairly decent. You can shoot anywhere. Rear armor on high value targets.

And look: Flesh Hooks aren't Rending anymore. Guess that was game-breakingly powerful :P

Wow.  Lots of passion. 

Well, the thing to do (says the master tinkerer) is to take all the stuff that HAS changed, throw it in a list and start learning what its about.  Then slowly move to more normal lists after you see WHY the heavily altered units or whatever were altered.  Sometimes the problem is that the lists you USED to use dont work as well but newer ones work EXCEEDINGLY well (and "cha-ching" says GW, i know, I know).  Sometimes we want the square peg in the round hole so bad we dont even notice that the hole is a triangle now.

• Like 1

Never read any books by him...or any Warhammer author so...

I think you mean Robin Crudacce?  

Unless you count codex's in which case i have to say:  Codex Space marines looked fine to me.  I liked PLaying Sisters of Battle from the White Dwarf and he did some of that with Matt Ward (who I do not prefer).

I'll admit:  the old Tyranid codex was kind of a victim of timing.  It was terribly timed.  Given a few months of retrospect, i think that codex would have been a little different.  

He wrote the Imperial Guard codex which is STILL very good as its own army and a preferred ally of many forces.

It feels like his only real MAJOR miss (minor gripes aside because no one is perfect) was the Tyranids and that had a LOT in my opinion, to do with its timing and what came RIGHT on its heels.  FAQ's, rules and new codex's all boned the Tyranids in one form or fashion.

But then again, they did VERY well in tournies after 6E temporarily turned them into the mightiest psyker race of all time.  orks be damned!

Just trying to be fair minded.

On topic:

Swarmlords look like a bad ass version of nemesor Zhandrek that acts like an Autarch Strategist, that instant kills everyone he sees, meets a shut down Librarian with this:

P: +6'' synapse (not Sitw) [weak primaris]
1: FnP for unit and one additional unit (buffed)
2: Pin test at -2(maybe -3) [iirc same]
3: can run and shoot (the same)
4: minus d3 WS & BS to a unit for a round (nerfed)
5: nova 2d6+2 vs ld (can only take invul saves against) (same)
6: Warpblast in its current form (same)

Dayam.  He may be a lot of points, but he is kinda awesome.  Now I have USED the Nemesor a lot.  Let me tell you something:  the ability to grant Furious Charge,  Monster Hunter, or Preferred Enemy is awesome.  It makes what looks like a really "okay" unit a lot MORE than okay unit for ITS cost.

Hmm.  I think they overdid the points on it, but I certainly see why.  The reserve gambit is strong in this army...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I just hope there is some army wide rules missing from leak that gives a little back to the dex.

I will still play the dex was just hoping for some internal balance that would allow for a diversity of builds.

A point reduction to the gaunts almost makes me think this the gaunt swarm dex.