Ork warboss in Mega Armor WIP

sergentzimm

So the main question I have, is this orky enough? http://imgur.com/a/8eW2t

I am not sure I have distanced this enough from it looking like a dread. I have some areas I can add ork glyphs and such in painting. 

On the model, I plan for this to be my warboss in Mega armor. I think it will be reasonable as it's roughly the same size as Ghazkul. 

I would try and make him more fleshy, maybe take off the back of the dread to make it look like its something the warboss can get in and out off.

So use bent metal to make it look like he ripped a hole in the back and has ripped out the marine and is now inside. You could even chop off a dread leg and have it connecting to the guy inside.

Take this as advice from someone with terrible modelling skills.

I would make it look more battle-damaged.  Perhaps get hacking at the section that would hold the sarcophagus.  Make it look like it got ripped out of there and then put some skrap plasticard over it.  But, at the minimum, needs bullet dents and such.  Looks too clean.

The book on the shoulder needs to go, what Ork would have a book!?  

I also think that the heavy bolter should be altered to be more like a shoota.  

Those are my thoughts.  

I was hoping to splatter paint over the book, but yeah it should probably go. I like the head the way it looked, but it might not be prominent enough. I just threw the heavy bolter on to see if it would help. I'll probably wire it down. 

I may just hold this model to the side and start over. I have a bunch of extra dread pieces from my blood angels army so I should be able to make a few goes at it. 

It's too recognizable as a unit from another list. I'd cut it into ten or fifteen pieces and mix them with bits from other sources. The plastic ork nobz for instance. Or the fantasy black orc sprue. 

Something I find especially useful when kit bashing is to reorient and repurpose bits from their original source. A gun can turn into an axle or an exhaust port. Try flipping shoulderpads around in different ways. Is the size and shape of a helmet or pretty close? 40k orks are really just a repository for all the bits you were never going to use for anything else. 

• Like 1

So my first try came out pretty dread like again. I like it thought as it's goofy and doesn't look like it should work, so very orky. The second one will probably by my warboss until I see if there is a better one with the codex this spring. 

http://imgur.com/a/omFym

Oh and the last pic, I used my hand instead of a hammer. That courtesy of the second half of the Seahawks game today. My hand got a few scratches but I can start over with it lol.

• Like 1