Rookie takes JetSeer Council to The LVO Tournament - Sends out Pan-Pan signal

Raak

So as the headline indicates, I, an admitted 40k rookie with all of 4.36 months of game experience, have managed - with a great deal of help from my friends in the WarHamster community - to get a list made, an army build and painted to 4-5 color standard and practice games in for the Las Vegas Open 40k Tournament

The tournament is this weekend and I would now like to throw myself at the mercy of the Greater Ordo Community by soliciting any and all advice. This will be my first tournament.

I am also looking for advice that pertains to running the jetseer council in the current meta. I’m running 2 stock farseers& 8 warlocks on bikes with the Barron out front. I have 5 Wyches in each of 2 venoms w/ haywires and 4 of the warlocks have singing spears. Help?

List is as follows:

(feel free to make suggestions but at this date I can’t change too much.)

1750 Pts - Codex: Eldar Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1747

HQ: Farseer (1#, 120 pts)
   1 Farseer, 120 pts = (base cost 100 + Eldar Jetbike 15) + Singing Spear 5

HQ: Farseer (1#, 120 pts)
   1 Farseer, 120 pts = (base cost 100 + Eldar Jetbike 15) + Singing Spear 5

: Warlock Council (8#, 420 pts)
   1 Warlock Council, 0 pts
      1 Warlock, 55 pts = (base cost 35 + Eldar Jetbike 15) + Singing Spear 5
      1 Warlock, 50 pts = (base cost 35 + Eldar Jetbike 15)

Troops: Dire Avengers (6#, 200 pts)
   5 Dire Avengers, 65 pts = 5 * 13
      1 Wave Serpent, 135 pts = (base cost 115 + Holo-Fields 15) + TL Starcannons 5

Troops: Windrider Jetbike Squad (3#, 51 pts)
   3 Windrider Jetbike Squad, 51 pts = 3 * 17

Troops: Windrider Jetbike Squad (3#, 51 pts)
   3 Windrider Jetbike Squad, 51 pts = 3 * 17

HQ: Baron Sathonyx (1#, 105 pts)
   1 Baron Sathonyx (HQ) [DE], 105 pts

Troops: Wyches (6#, 140 pts)
   5 Wyches (Troops) [DE], 60 pts = 5 * 12 (base cost 10 + Haywire Grenades 2)
      1 Venom [DE], 80 pts = (base cost 55) + Splinter Cannon 10 + Grisly Trophies 5 + Night Shields 10

Troops: Wyches (6#, 140 pts)
   5 Wyches (Troops) [DE], 60 pts = 5 * 12 (base cost 10 + Haywire Grenades 2)
      1 Venom [DE], 80 pts = (base cost 55) + Splinter Cannon 10 + Grisly Trophies 5 + Night Shields 10

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Well that wasn't helpful.

Good luck, you definitely have a strong tiered list. Biggest advice is don't play slow, think ahead that can be your biggest downfall in big events is slow playing and not getting the opportunity to make the crucial move for win.

You have a good aggressive list with some hitting power but with more staying power. Focus on keep troops alive and hidden and kill your oppenents score so you can come in and sweep the vp.

Well that wasn't helpful.

Good luck, you definitely have a strong tiered list. Biggest advice is don't play slow, think ahead that can be your biggest downfall in big events is slow playing and not getting the opportunity to make the crucial move for win.

You have a good aggressive list with some hitting power but with more staying power. Focus on keep troops alive and hidden and kill your oppenents score so you can come in and sweep the vp.

This better sound familiar! :P

Edit: From everything I've read you could not have chosen a better first tourney! Make sure you read the player pack, for comprehension, and just know your powers. Your opponent will try to focus you on their game plan don't fall for it most players tell you more about their army by what they don't mention! Think back on our game I focused pregame on all those land raiders, what I wasn't saying was how few troops I had. 19 scoring bodies is nothing especially when 5 are in 4+armor.

Any who have a blast and i'm looking forward to aftermath stories!

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

2 other things come to mind. Read the rule manual and faqs 2 times more. Know common rule disputes and flag the page.

Second unless you 100% you are right, you know where rule is and can show it quickly, concede the dispute. Having fun games is more important than winning. Took me too long to learn this. Best sportsman is the truly the best player in the event. Providing the highlight game for your opponents is far more rewarding.

I travel to a fair number of events, here is come event advice.

Bring some water, hydration keeps up your energy, brain, and mood.

Sit down every now and then and sit up straight. It will feel loads better than standing and hunching over the board.

Always talk to your opponent about what terrain is what before anything is rolled. Also, agree on what a 'cocked die' is. Most go by placing another on top and seeing if it will stay.

Go to lunch with some strangers and friends. Meeting new people and swaping stories and list ideas is one of my favorite parts of an event.

Get at least one good nights sleep, or bring coffee or energy shots. The latter can't make up for the first, but its better than nothing.

Eat relatively well, this is harder while traveling, but not just eating taco bell and jack in the box all weekend will help you physically, which will help mentally. Hard to think a game through when you feel bloated and nasty.

See how other people are playing around you after your game. You may end up facing someone nearby.

Relax and have a beer! ;)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Eldar and Dark Eldar in bed together. The universe has ended.

Everyone knows that siding with your brother, even your twisted, artificial half-brother or your prissy, holier-than-thou older brother is better than working with some filthy mon-keigh. You might hate your family, but the rest of the universe is worse.

Most all of Mr. Moretanks advice is very solid, but I will doubly reiterate the need for sleep and food. These things take a bigger toll than you realize when you miss them- if you're tired because you only slept three hours last night or frazzled because you haven't eaten anything but greasy burgers for two days, you are going to make mistakes that will cost you. Get six hours of sleep and two or three solid meals every day. Bring something simple for breakfast- oatmeal, cereal, fruit, whatever so you don't wreck your first match every morning. Nothing will make you feel stupider than losing a match you should've won because your brain skipped a beat.

• Like 2

I travel to a fair number of events, here is come event advice.

Bring some water, hydration keeps up your energy, brain, and mood.

Sit down every now and then and sit up straight. It will feel loads better than standing and hunching over the board.

Always talk to your opponent about what terrain is what before anything is rolled. Also, agree on what a 'cocked die' is. Most go by placing another on top and seeing if it will stay.

Go to lunch with some strangers and friends. Meeting new people and swaping stories and list ideas is one of my favorite parts of an event.

Get at least one good nights sleep, or bring coffee or energy shots. The latter can't make up for the first, but its better than nothing.

Eat relatively well, this is harder while traveling, but not just eating taco bell and jack in the box all weekend will help you physically, which will help mentally. Hard to think a game through when you feel bloated and nasty.

See how other people are playing around you after your game. You may end up facing someone nearby.

Relax and have a beer! ;)

Good luck!

This!!! +1

Make a cheat sheet! A list of the things you want to remember to do, an order of operations you will follow each turn, etc. Also, a sheet that you can use to quickly mark psychic powers.

I've got to say, you've got cojones! You picked one of the most complicated builds for one of the most specialized, rules intensive armies out there. The only way you could have made it more complicated would be to add Tau allies. :smile:  

• Like 3

Great tips here.  I'd add

--Bring advil with you and maybe tums (I tend to eat crap when I go to tourneys).  Your feet back and head will start hurting toward the end of the day.  Its really hard to track this down when you are on the road in a strange place.

--If you don't have a display board have some sort of tv tray (seen people use room service trays).  Being able to get to and from tables quickly is key when games are timed.  Don't be that guy deploying from and putting casualties into a foam case -- you waste so much time doing that.