Most boring lists.

What does everyone find as the worst and most boring lists to play against.

Please be more specific than just "gun line empire"

I'm looking for something like

" I really hate playing empire lists that bring nothing but inner circle knights, demigryphs, cannons, steam tanks and HBVG. I don't find it fun because I don't enjoy all 1+ stubborn units and losing all my monsters quickly"

Hmmmm.  For me, it's non challenging lists.  I prefer to play hard lists.  The harder it looks on paper, the more I want to play it.  It does a few things for me:

1) Makes me a better player

2) Gives me the type of competitve game I prefer (you can be competitive and still have a friendly game)

3) Helps me better understand certain unit/army combos

So, for me, I'm not a fan of soft lists.  Those just aren't the type of games I prefer.

• Like 1

I can't really boil it down to army books but if I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be Ogre Kingdoms. 

What I dislike in general are units that are too reliable and/or too flexible. Hammer units are fine. Tarpit units are fine. Units that do both are boring. Similarly a character that is hard to wound is fine. A character that causes lots of wounds is fine. A character that achieves both is less interesting. 

Points denial is boring. 

Cool armies are tooled up in ways that maximize interesting choices during the game. A good variety of units is a good start. Also an eye toward utilizing all game phases when possible. I like armies that have multiple ways to succeed as well as multiple ways to fail. As opposed to lists where the whole game predictably follows the fate of a single unit. 

Haven't run into too many 'boring' lists at WOW in fantasy. I have run into lists I was not prepared to deal with weather do to low point games or just a bad list on my part.

In other games it is usually the 'netlist' that uses a list from a tournament winner that had no real challenges to win. The WAAC list. Had more than one game of "There a list I want to try out that looks interesting." that tabled me with no issue. And those were against my freindly fluff lists on regular game nights.

Luckly, weather it's due to good players or WFB itself I am not sure, I have not run into those at WOW yet.

Fluffy lists.

I like playing against hard as nails lists, that way if I win, I know I earned it.

Do you ask your opponents to bring their hard lists or do you just expect them to bring it.If it is the first I understand but if you expect everyone to bring top tier lists you might be on their bad list too.

Players bring their game for different reasons, so you should know what it is you are getting into. I was the Fluffy player in Warmachine and tried to get other players to bring a different list for fun. I could build the top tier lists but I found them lacking in tactical choices and were more of a brainless point and shoot.

People find challenges in different ways. Try bringing a less than Best list to see if it is you or your list that is good. (Just a blanket statement I basically asked players to do, not just directed at you.)

Heck Raindog played Wood Elves with their own lore and proved it is him and not his Army Book that was good. A true General.

They are less common now, but I get bored by lists with extreme magical superiority.  Nothing is lamer than sitting through the magic phase and just watching spell after spell go off with no way to stop it.  It's like fighting a magical gunline.  Give me an army to fight, damn it!

My 2 least favorite to play are shooty elves. "of all elf type", and gunlines, gunlines, gunlines. I myself love big monsters. I can't stand it when I get cannon balled off the table round one. Or dancing elves that dance around and around and around. I like smash mouth. But I do get it. Some people have to bring that because they fear hand to hand. :)

Do you ask your opponents to bring their hard lists or do you just expect them to bring it.If it is the first I understand but if you expect everyone to bring top tier lists you might be on their bad list too.

Players bring their game for different reasons, so you should know what it is you are getting into. I was the Fluffy player in Warmachine and tried to get other players to bring a different list for fun. I could build the top tier lists but I found them lacking in tactical choices and were more of a brainless point and shoot.

People find challenges in different ways. Try bringing a less than Best list to see if it is you or your list that is good. (Just a blanket statement I basically asked players to do, not just directed at you.)

Heck Raindog played Wood Elves with their own lore and proved it is him and not his Army Book that was good. A true General.

I don't think I bring over the top lists, I don't bring fluff bunny lists either, I bring what I like, although with the new dwarf book I'm not sure what I like anymore.  I still really like hammerers and longbeards, will always take one cannon, I'm excited to include a flame cannon again, plus a couple of gyros.  I usually use hero's as my characters as it gives me more points to spend on troops.  

My 2 least favorite to play are shooty elves. "of all elf type", and gunlines, gunlines, gunlines. I myself love big monsters. I can't stand it when I get cannon balled off the table round one. Or dancing elves that dance around and around and around. I like smash mouth. But I do get it. Some people have to bring that because they fear hand to hand. :)

LOL. Sounds like a Chaos player. ;)

"What, why won't your strength 3 toughness 3 stand and fight my block of 30+ nurgle WoC? I promise not to laugh this time when I make all my armor saves. Pinkey swear."

Most elf units fall to high toughness/armor units and will avoid direct combat due to tactical acumen. As a non-gunline DE player I have to pick my battles more than tougher races. But yes, a list built with one phase in mind is not overly fun. Just don't be surprised when weak units avoid hammer units like an ex-wife.

I don't think I bring over the top lists, I don't bring fluff bunny lists either, I bring what I like, although with the new dwarf book I'm not sure what I like anymore.  I still really like hammerers and longbeards, will always take one cannon, I'm excited to include a flame cannon again, plus a couple of gyros.  I usually use hero's as my characters as it gives me more points to spend on troops.

From all that I have been hearing the Dwarf book is solid, not WoC amazing but solid. (Which is better in my opinion.)

But just like the Net List Fluff Bunny l

Um, yeah, I'm going to disagree here about the Dwarf comment.  They could probably be one of the most solid armies right now.  They can dish out the pain from range and then mop up with the combat blocks.  I doubt you will see the list I am thinking about played in Ordo.

I also believe WoC are more points than Dwarf Hammerers or Longbeards.  You will get 2 turns to lay that cool spammed flame cannon on them.  That pretty much makes WoC melt.  Oh, and when that block of 20+ GW armed WS5 unit gets charged by cav.....meh, we'll do enough.

Don't discredit Dwarfs from easily becoming one of the top 5 armies.

I still think that Lizardmen are by far the best to play against and to play with. They are not boring, they have every phase locked down, they have big monsters to annoying shooters. They have one of the toughest mages in the game, their infantry could have been a bit better, but I will take it just the same, oh yeah, I will just buff them with my power Mage. The only other army that is just as fun to play is Ogres, and then maybe Orcs and goblins.

Guys I appreciate your opinions, but I was looking for specific examples of what you do NOT want to see.

This actually important.

Ok, if I had to choose a few armies, here you go:

1) High Elf armies with the Lion Bomb.  You need special characters to pull it off though.  It's life caster who receives +2 to cast, the character with the BT bow, 30+ WL's, BotWD.  The rest is filled with phoenixes,, cheap archer units, and cheap reaver units.

2) Mono Nurgle lists.  Oh, -1 to hit everything, you have armour, you have 2 attacks each, you're S4 or 5, you have a 3+ armour save.

3) Double grey seer lists.  Playing against double 13th is just nasty.

4) Daemons of all types.  I really, really, really hate the winds of magic roll.  That was the dumbest idea.  I know it can hurt the daemon player; but I've seen this table destroy armies before anything is in close combat.  This is the most non-respectable thing in the game.  When I lose 2+ units, in a single turn, from this roll I get pretty flustered.  Not at the player, at the damn book.  This thing is sooooo flippin stupid!

I know this is kind of a generalizatipn, but I dont like facing super hard lists or super soft lists. I feel like either of these take more of the outcome out of the hands of the general. If both players have lists that are similar in power then rhe game should be close. If you only like playing against tough lists so that you dont get am easy win why not tone down your list so that you dont get any easy wins and maybe you get some really tough well earned wins.