got crimson slaughter...

VonVilkee

Yay, I've always had a soft spot for possessed and now I can run them as troops! Very excited and wanted to share.

Also a two plus save that fits in a rhino with it will not die for less than termie armor was a nice little thing. Always wanted three hqs, Fabius bile enhanced Marines allied to this shaped up good...

• Like 2

Beginning of player turn lasts entire game turn, shrouded, beast unit type for the turn, or daemon save increases to 3+ and rending. there is also a relic that makes a character possessed (gain fleet, daemon, and the roll as above) allowing them to only join possessed from their detachment.

• Like 2

Oh, right, the 3++/Rending one replaces the AP3 one.

It's an interesting idea, but very awkward in its inclusion. Changing your unit type can do some really weird stuff- like having Beasts embarked on a transport or on the upper levels of a ruin, or a Daemon prince with the upgrade accidentally losing his Smash rule (and potentially FMC status as well.)

Sounds pretty cool to me.  Chaos is getting really positive things from its supplments and I think has risen in my estimation quite a bit in competitiveness on the strength of them.  They maybe will never be as awesome as say 5 Gravgun shots per model.  But they are just different and now have some tools to compete well.  I've really loved re-learning how to play my Night Lords well.  Good times.

Sounds pretty cool to me.  Chaos is getting really positive things from its supplments and I think has risen in my estimation quite a bit in competitiveness on the strength of them.  They maybe will never be as awesome as say 5 Gravgun shots per model.  But they are just different and now have some tools to compete well.  I've really loved re-learning how to play my Night Lords well.  Good times.

If you love Night Lords you should think about running them with the Slaughter rules; every model in the army gains Fear and that just screams Night Lords.

Raptors come with the fear rule so it wont do much for me on that end.  However, are Crimson Slaughter and Black legion battle buddies?  How does that work?

D'oh, totally didn't realize they came with it stock. It is pretty funny when you get Fear inducing Cultists.

There is a little weirdness as far as Allies go. All the book says is they can be Brothers with the CSM book, nothing about Daemons, or Black Legion, or any other Alliances. That said, every other supplement has gotten the parent Codex allowances. Considering they are heavy on Possessed and there is bunch of fluff about Abaddon making them part of his Black Crusade, I think Daemons or Black Legion would be fine, it just needs clarification.

It's an interesting idea, but very awkward in its inclusion. Changing your unit type can do some really weird stuff- like having Beasts embarked on a transport or on the upper levels of a ruin, or a Daemon prince with the upgrade accidentally losing his Smash rule (and potentially FMC status as well.)

Beasts can go into ruins in 6ed so no issue there (its cav that can't go into ruin levels). 

However, are Crimson Slaughter and Black legion battle buddies?  How does that work?

The first couple of supplemental codexes had a rule that said an army can only ever have use one supplemental codex.  Not sure that has carried over into the newer ones though.

Rule specifically states changes unit type from infantry to beast, so no problems for the demon Prince... I'm currently taking a sorcerer with jump pack and the I'm possessed too relic.

• Like 1

I'm planning on running CS as well once I get my models. I have to say, I don't see what the yang is to the yin that the codex gives you. Where is the take away? I can't take Veteran of the Long War upgrade for most of my units...is that it? Is that the only downside for all of the extra stuff the list gives me?

No daemon weapons, loss of main book relics (Black mace on Prince, brand of skalathrax), also I figure named characters from main book... Still working through details I may have jumped to conclusions for the named character thing...

• Like 1

Would he just "gain" the Beast unit type, and thus only add the good parts of being a beast while keeping his other rules? 

Some unit types (like jump/jet pack) are "stackable," but most are not- if you're Infantry, you're not a Beast, and vice versa. I don't have the book so I can't get the exact wording, but from the sound of things it changes the model to unit type Beasts, not adds it (which wouldn't really make any sense anyways.)

I'm planning on running CS as well once I get my models. I have to say, I don't see what the yang is to the yin that the codex gives you. Where is the take away? I can't take Veteran of the Long War upgrade for most of my units...is that it? Is that the only downside for all of the extra stuff the list gives me?

VotLW is a minor loss, although not completely ignorable. The main one is the opportunity cost you're paying- bringing a CS list means you won't have access to the relics or warlord traits that basic CSM (or BL) get. Especially in the case of CSM, this is not an ignorable loss- Axe of Blind Fury, Burning Brand, and Black Mace are all quite good, and the CSM warlord trait likewise has some very strong selections on it (like Infiltrate and Hatred.) CS gets some interesting toys of its own, but you're definitely giving up access to some valuable stuff to get it. Fear as a universal rule and the bonuses to Possessed really aren't that big of deals on their own, so it's generally going to boil down to a matter of which relics/traits your army wants access to when deciding whether to build CSM or CS.

Some unit types (like jump/jet pack) are "stackable," but most are not- if you're Infantry, you're not a Beast, and vice versa. I don't have the book so I can't get the exact wording, but from the sound of things it changes the model to unit type Beasts, not adds it (which wouldn't really make any sense anyways.)

VotLW is a minor loss, although not completely ignorable. The main one is the opportunity cost you're paying- bringing a CS list means you won't have access to the relics or warlord traits that basic CSM (or BL) get. Especially in the case of CSM, this is not an ignorable loss- Axe of Blind Fury, Burning Brand, and Black Mace are all quite good, and the CSM warlord trait likewise has some very strong selections on it (like Infiltrate and Hatred.) CS gets some interesting toys of its own, but you're definitely giving up access to some valuable stuff to get it. Fear as a universal rule and the bonuses to Possessed really aren't that big of deals on their own, so it's generally going to boil down to a matter of which relics/traits your army wants access to when deciding whether to build CSM or CS.

I checked the wording above on the possessed thing.

And while the loss of the original chaos relics is not ignoble, you generally used just one so could still ally in your weapon of choice.

The relentless sword is pretty awesome, starts as a power sword, then gets better as you kill things, plus one strength for first cc kill then at three it gets ap2, there are more but I wouldn't count on getting much higher each game. Cheaper than the other weapons...

I'll post my list here soon but in general I have primary CS with an allied Fabius bile, enhanced Marines double melta in Rhino. Gives me lots of fearless units and a couple fearless characters to plug the gaps. Lord, Fabius, and a divination sorcerer.

Thing to remember is with the sorcerer if you take a mark, you have to generate at least one power from the god's list... Con to know.

So I read the fluff as well but there is one portion I must have missed as at alludes to terrible fate for Kranons brother but I can't find it. It says he gave all the loyalist marines over to Fabius except his brother. Did I miss something or does the fluff tell of what happens to his brother other than being locked in a cell?

Wait wait I see it now in the dated files of time it says he was wired into a hellbrute. Man they missed some interesting fluff by just slapping a date and event on it.