New to Portland/40k/Ordo

Kakos

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Wait, is this already going back to Scientology, this early in the thread?

I wasn't. I don't cover RoC topics in the non-RoC section. Please don't bring up religion here. 

Yes...back on topic....

Welcome to Portland, you are in a great city for gaming, and you will find lots of really great and fun opponents for 40K.

It was mentioned earlier, but the Tuesday night Game Night at the Clubhouse is also super convenient to you, it is very close to Guardian Games.

Generally if you arrange ahead, it is easy to get a game of 40K in there.

Welcome!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Though if playing with noobs, regarding the psychological one, new players will often target your best painted model, the model you declare as your favorite, or your biggest model, without regard to viability of attack... 

Is this a really a common occurrence? 

@andozane

Haha, right on! I'm glad I made a solid housing/location choice.

@DisruptiveConduct

Thanks for the invite! What would be a good time to show up?

1 hour ago, Kakos said:

Is this a really a common occurrence? 

With noobs in casual settings. Yes. Definitely. Even just bragging about a given model prior to the game, will likely result in target priority put on that model during the game.

And if you play with a regular group, certain models will likely develop a reputation and that will be considered for target priority, often more so than logical evaluation of the unit should function. Back in 4th, the Vindicare Assassin had such a reputation that opponents would often ignore anything else in your army to destroy just that one model due to it's "potential" in-game value (and ignoring it's actual in-game value). 

I think I'm going to swing by the clubhouse tonight after work and make an appearance. I'll be the 6'5" guy with red hair and tattoos so I shouldn't be to hard to spot lol. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! 

@paxmiles

In that case whenever I start playing games I'll have to talk up that one random shield drone as the only model in my army that I like! I was pretty young back then but I actually remember the vindicare assassin being a model that people wanted off the board in 4th ed, only because I used to run one with my DA. 

1 minute ago, Kakos said:

In that case whenever I start playing games I'll have to talk up that one random shield drone as the only model in my army that I like! I was pretty young back then but I actually remember the vindicare assassin being a model that people wanted off the board in 4th ed, only because I used to run one with my DA. 

Yeah, put a photo of some hated celebrity on a banner for that shield drone....lol.

That vindicare sometimes deserved their reputation, but often was just wasted points, despite how ferverent opponents would hunt them down.

32 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Yeah, put a photo of some hated celebrity on a banner for that shield drone....lol.

Haha not a bad idea! 

The vindicare was one of my favorite models when I was younger and I remember using him a lot in casual games. Always really enjoyed the imperial assassins atheistic and their fluff. Do you ever run any of the assassins in 8th? 

1 hour ago, Kakos said:

Haha not a bad idea! 

The vindicare was one of my favorite models when I was younger and I remember using him a lot in casual games. Always really enjoyed the imperial assassins atheistic and their fluff. Do you ever run any of the assassins in 8th? 

The Eversor and Vindicare are both good, but to really get use out of them, you need to break the fluff and use multiples. One Vindicare is meh. Three will decapitate many opponents' lists.

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

The Eversor and Vindicare are both good, but to really get use out of them, you need to break the fluff and use multiples. One Vindicare is meh. Three will decapitate many opponents' lists.

That's pretty rad. Really unfluffy but I can see where it would be much more efficient. Seems odd that they are no longer a one per army unit. 

Recently listened to the audio drama 'Assassinorum:The Emperors Judgement' and its description of a eversor was just ridiculous. I'd recommend it if you dig audiobooks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kakos said:

That's pretty rad. Really unfluffy but I can see where it would be much more efficient. Seems odd that they are no longer a one per army unit. 

Recently listened to the audio drama 'Assassinorum:The Emperors Judgement' and its description of a eversor was just ridiculous. I'd recommend it if you dig audiobooks. 

My list for last OFCC was actually six of each of those, and three each of the Culexus and Callidus, led by three Inquisitors, and with a StormRaven for the Termie Inquisitor to ride around in. I thought it was just going to be goofy, but it actually ended up being disgustingly good, to the point where I house-ruled away the Character Rule on the Assassins, because it just made it impossible for my Opponents to do much of anything.

• Like 1

@WestRider

Sounds like that would be a really fun list to run! I was reading on the new assassin rules and could see where a handful of culexus assassins in the front line could make shooting anything off the table really difficult. How did the list work after the TO threw out the character rule? 

• Like 1

The TO didn't throw it out, I did it on my own initiative. OFCC really isn't the kind of place for that. It actually still worked pretty well, just because it's more or less the ultimate in MSU, and that's almost always been strong in 40K. Pretty lacking against Vehicles, tho, since Meltabombs ain't what they used to be.

47 minutes ago, WestRider said:

The TO didn't throw it out, I did it on my own initiative. OFCC really isn't the kind of place for that. It actually still worked pretty well, just because it's more or less the ultimate in MSU, and that's almost always been strong in 40K. Pretty lacking against Vehicles, tho, since Meltabombs ain't what they used to be.

I get it. Went to WOW for the first time yesterday so I'm still pretty new to everything going on here. It really seems like a fun list to run. 

1 hour ago, Kakos said:

I get it. Went to WOW for the first time yesterday so I'm still pretty new to everything going on here. It really seems like a fun list to run. 

I saw him, Torg too. I officially stamp this online person to have a visually confirmed phsyical body... 

It definitely was a fun list. I haven't really messed with it since, because I had to borrow a number of the Models (most importantly, half the Vindicares), but I'm thinking of pulling it out again at some point when there's a more serious Tournament going on around here somewhere. Especially if I can find some good alternate Vindicare Models.