Got a game in with the above list. Opponent was @Treads-n-Wings's Cadian Astra Millitarum. 4x russes, a bunch of infantry, some bullgryns, a psyker, and some tech priests. We called it a draw at the end of turn 4. 

I got to go first, which I largely attribute to me doing as well as I did (because the scorpion only has an invulnerable save if it moved in the previous movement phase).

I had mostly selected the Iyanden trait to avoid altioc cheese and to make my guardians viable, but the scorpion is a monster with Iyanden the trait.  The scorpion is already a monster, but turn 1 return fire from the opponent should have really hindered me, but instead, the Scorpion got to treat being at half health as being at fully health. Turn 3 it counted as half health, instead of the quarter health it was. Ended the game on turn 4 with 3 wounds still on the scorpion, having destroyed 3 leman russ tanks (including two command tanks). 

Guardians were much more offensively impressive than I had anticipated, partially because the opponent ignored them turn 1. 

Rangers were iffy, but also were largely ignored, so held objectives just fine.

Warlock was iffy, but I got some valuable experience. Didn't get an oppertunity to test the pheonix gem, but the warlord trait had it's moments.

Farseer had his moments, but was mostly iffy. 

Reapers were excellent. I also think the reapers were excellent only because the opponent had most of their range focused on my bigger units, so I think they would have been less impressive if they had been focused more on. 4-man did prove a good squad size. Shuriken Cannon wasn't bad, all things considered. 

Definitely a good game. @Treads-n-Wings was a enjoyable opponent (thanks!). 

EDIT, oh, all 8 command points were exclusively spent on Lightning Reflexes for the Scorpion and Celestial Shield for the Guardians. Warlock rolled Conceal/Reveal, Farseer rolled Guide and Executor. I forgot an entire psychic phase during one of the mid-game turns. Terrain was also set up so neither army could really bare all thier firepower on a single target, I think this made the Scorpion more survivable.

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I thought the Iyandan trait was for Wraith constructs, not all vehicles...

Any Iyanden unit with a damage chart.

Their stratagem and relic both benefit only wraith constructs.

1 hour ago, Treads-n-Wings said:

Also: edit that post above, I use forum names on the forums, real names in real life.

Didn't think it would be a problem since I didn't also use your forum name, but it's fixed above. Sorry about that.

6 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Do the test scheme on a guardian, or a bike.  Large sections of yellow are a bitch if you don't have an air brush or patience.  White primer, brown base coat, build the yellow.  Although, I hear the new paints are amazballs for yellow. I haven't tried them, myself.

Doing black primer, white, then yellow. Anyway, not having issues with any of the new models, it's the "rescue" fire prisms that suck - just annoying because I've put a lot of work into re-doing them and they still look bad. And it was against my better judgement to attempt it anyway...

13 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Do the test scheme on a guardian, or a bike.  Large sections of yellow are a bitch if you don't have an air brush or patience.  White primer, brown base coat, build the yellow.  Although, I hear the new paints are amazballs for yellow. I haven't tried them, myself.

Averland Sunset is fantastic. The yellow Layer paints still need a ton of coats to cover decently over that one, tho.

Two games in that Escalation League. Couldn't find all the heavy weapon bits before I left, so looks like I'm locked in with the ones I found in time, a Scatter Laser and a Missile Launcher...yeah.

First game I felt underpowered against Jon's Deathwatch. Part of it is the player. He's one of those that sees playing hyper compeditively as mantatory for his enjoyment and doesn't care if others enjoy their games. He's also the type to insist on going back for his forgotten steps and keeps quiet if you forget steps. I think the Phoenix gem my only damage all game. My Warlock used conceal, but my opponent "forgot" about it, so it had no effect. Not much fun. VP, opponent won 5:3.  

Game 2 was balanced, against a very new Caradon (sharks) SM player. Was a fun game and definitely within the league's intended balance range. He had a captain and a tactical squad. Was quite fun. Opponent won 4:1. 

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Two games in that Escalation League. Couldn't find all the heavy weapon bits before I left, so looks like I'm locked in with the ones I found in time, a Scatter Laser and a Missile Launcher...yeah.

First game I felt underpowered against Jon's Deathwatch. Part of it is the player. He's one of those that sees playing hyper compeditively as mantatory for his enjoyment and doesn't care if others enjoy their games. He's also the type to insist on going back for his forgotten steps and keeps quiet if you forget steps. I think the Phoenix gem my only damage all game. My Warlock used conceal, but my opponent "forgot" about it, so it had no effect. Not much fun. VP, opponent won 5:3.  

Game 2 was balanced, against a very new Caradon (sharks) SM player. Was a fun game and definitely within the league's intended balance range. He had a captain and a tactical squad. Was quite fun. Opponent won 4:1. 

Umm... The deathwatch players sounds like a [big bad swearword]. Insisting you go back a phase is just dumb. If plays hyper competitivly then he should know better.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SPaceORK said:

Umm... The deathwatch player sounds like a asshole. Insisting you go back a phase is just dumb. If plays hyper competitively then he should know better.

I think we just have very different personal views on how the game should be played. I don't think he's even intentionally being rude or unfair. And it was supposed to be something for new players, so asking to go back for something he forgot was definitely within the nature of the intended league format.

But, yeah, he's a tough opponent for me, just because our enjoy of the game is so very different in which parts of the game are fun.

20 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I think we just have very different personal views on how the game should be played. I don't think he's even intentionally being rude or unfair. And it was supposed to be something for new players, so asking to go back for something he forgot was definitely within the nature of the intended league format.

But, yeah, he's a tough opponent for me, just because our enjoy of the game is so very different in which parts of the game are fun.

So? I know for a fact, that what you find fun in 40k and what I find fun are so far appart that we might as well be playing different games.

But that doesn't mean I can't ask, and not insist, on maybe going back a phase. And not reminding you about a phase is just cheating. 

It shouldn't matter if it's intended for new players, he doesn't sound like a new player, so he can be expected to have a higher level of understanding of the rules and play.

More competent and competitive players should accommodate other players when not in a tournament or playtesting. It just fosters a better environment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That reminds me, opponent recently had a new low in terms of bringing their own codex.

They had a screenshot of their battlescribe roster.... Yeah, that's it. Lol. Welcome to the digital age.