WoW January 2019 40k League interest?

Dark Trainer

Are you interested in a 40k League running 2019 Jan-Feb?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a 40k League running Jan-Feb?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (only choose this if you're close to YES)
  2. 2. Are you a newer player who needs the league to start at 500pts? (fully painted not required, but preferred)

• Yes
    • Nope, i can bring 1k+
  3. 3. Would you like it to end with a tournament first Saturday of March?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 12:17 AM

6 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Soft list? Will it have very squishy Tau? 

Dunno, they don't have a lot of bad units.

I'm thinking something like this (for me in week 1):

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [34 PL, 627pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 127pts]: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod

+ Flyer +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Total: [40 PL, 747pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

30 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Dunno, they don't have a lot of bad units.

I'm thinking something like this (for me in week 1):

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [34 PL, 627pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 127pts]: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod

+ Flyer +

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Total: [40 PL, 747pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Would be fun to take apart but fun to play. It's like you are plain g to play reasonably or something 😜 what kind of Tau player are you!?! 😛

26 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Would be fun to take apart but fun to play. It's like you are plain g to play reasonably or something 😜 what kind of Tau player are you!?! 😛

Well, league will be game 1 of TAU for me. Or at least since 4e. So not really a TAU player yet...

11 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Fair enough. They shoot amazingly well. The lack of marker lights will be telling I think. 

I figured with Shadowsun, I get 2 turns of rerolling all misses (Kauyun sp?), which kind of makes markerlights useless unless I'm going all the way to the +1 to hit at 5 ML.  It's actually hard to make a Tau list that's underpowered at this low point level. I also struggle with a desire for low model count and low infantry count. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kelharis said:

I figured with Shadowsun, I get 2 turns of rerolling all misses (Kauyun sp?), which kind of makes markerlights useless unless I'm going all the way to the +1 to hit at 5 ML.  It's actually hard to make a Tau list that's underpowered at this low point level. I also struggle with a desire for low model count and low infantry count. 

Personally, I find running special characters somewhat distasteful. It's a throwback to earlier editions where fielding special characters was only allowed at a certain point level and required opponent's permission. I'd steer away from special characters in a soft list.

That said, do whatever. I'm aware that my attitude towards special characters is dated.

I will say that when you run special characters in every list, doesn't seem like you have a good grasp on the concept "under-powered." GW's special characters are notoriously under-priced, and quite often overpowered. If trying to make a soft list, definitely drop the special characters.

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Personally, I find running special characters somewhat distasteful. It's a throwback to earlier editions where fielding special characters was only allowed at a certain point level and required opponent's permission. I'd steer away from special characters in a soft list.

That said, do whatever. I'm aware that my attitude towards special characters is dated.

I will say that when you run special characters in every list, doesn't seem like you have a good grasp on the concept "under-powered." GW's special characters are notoriously under-priced, and quite often overpowered.

I get that, it makes sense.  Other than being able to Master of War twice, I personally think Shadowsun is pretty tame compared to, say, a quad fusion commander.  I'm trying like crazy to make a viable list that:

1. Isn't dependent on marker lights

2. Isn't deliberately made crappy (choosing the worst weapons just because they're worse)

3. Feels unique to play

4. Has a low model count.

Maybe Tau is the wrong race to be playing for me, I don't know. 

56 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

I get that, it makes sense.  Other than being able to Master of War twice, I personally think Shadowsun is pretty tame compared to, say, a quad fusion commander.  I'm trying like crazy to make a viable list that:

1. Isn't dependent on marker lights

2. Isn't deliberately made crappy (choosing the worst weapons just because they're worse)

3. Feels unique to play

4. Has a low model count.

Maybe Tau is the wrong race to be playing for me, I don't know. 

Totally agree regarding a Quad fusion commander, that's why it isn't in my 750pt list. Since we're escalating, my "Commander" is just my crisis squad leader without his squad. I'll work my way towards adding the rest of the squad. Annoying Crisis suit squads lost the option to field a single suit squad, but this works.

TAU is kinda a weird army because a lot of their high powered units have a really low point cost, which implies that they'd be fun to play against in low point games. High powered units are typically unfun in low powered games, like 750pt games. Definitely your call.

Since TAU are designed to use markerlights, you are making them crappy, so #1 and #2 contradict each other. (Though I suppose you could spam flamers). Low model count is tough for an army that specializes in being cheap, glass hammers. As for uniqueness, there's not a whole lot that you can do to make your army unique in just rules. TAU will always be the combinations of the same thing.

I suggest an army modeling/painting/backstory theme which brings in the uniqueness. It's just like a roleplaying game. There's only so many ways to make a Fighter, rogue, or wizard. The uniqueness is in how your character/army defines themselves or how they react to their setting. Why is your TAU force low model count? Like why do your TAU feel the need to be low model count? Are they dying off like the eldar, or are they some elite force? If dying off, which weapons and upgrades best show your self-preservation goals? If an elite force, it was probably designed a goal in mind, what weapons/units best achieve that goal?

I don't really think any of the TAU units or weapons are particularly bad this edition. I bet you could make just about anything work.

One of the easiest ways, in my experience, to make a "unique" army list in WH40k or any other wargame is to look for those unit(s) that the collective wisdom of the Internet tells you is a MANDATORY CHOICE!!!!111one! and then make your list without it. Y'know somwething that will make the chuckleheads on Reddit or /tg/ say something like "Lol! This guy made a Blood Angels list without a Smash Captain! LOL! Fail!" Alternatively, look for the unit(s) that the same collection of learned sages will tell you is TOTAL TRASH!!! and then use it. "Stupid noon uses Whirlwinds! WTF dude!?"

Realistically speaking, there isn't usually that great of a difference between the best unit(s) in any given army and the worst unit(s) in the army. Oh, sure, you can't expect the same efficiency from an anti-infantry unit as an anti-tank unit when it comes to shooting at tanks. But given the choice between the MANDATORY CHOICE! anti-tank unit and the TOTAL TRASH! anti-tank unit in the same army list? You'll usually find the difference to be negligible. Consider the Broadside and Hammerhead: Against a T 8 / Sv 3+ / 12 W model a Broadside with twin Rail Rifles will score 2.17 Wounds, the Hammerhead's Railgun will score 2.00 Wounds. The sagacious denizens of Reddit or /tg/ will conclude that the Hammerhead is FAIL!!!... Which is just silly.

Pick the models you like to build the army you want first. Figure out how to make it work second. 

• Like 1

Playing around with BattleScribe and thinking about how to make an Imperial Fists army that doesn't play exactly like the typical Imperial Fists force. This is still a very shooty force, but one that is a lot more aggressive. 

++ Patrol Detachment ++
Chapter Selection: Imperial Fists

HQ
Captain Warlord; Jump Pack, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer; Warlord Trait: Iron Resolve, Relic: The Shield Eternal [ 124 pts ]

Troops
Intercessor Squad 10x Marines; Bolt Rifles, 2x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher; Sergeant w/ Power Fist [ 179 pts ]
Intercessor Squad 5x Marines; Auto Bolt Rifles, 1x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher; Sergeant w/ Power Fist [ 99 pts ]
Intercessor Squad 5x Marines; Stalker Bolt Rifles, 1x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher; Sergeant w/ Chainsword [ 85 pts ]

Elites
Redemptor Dreadnought Storm Bolters, Heavy Flamer,* Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon [ 153 pts ]
Reiver Squad 5x Marines; Bolt Carbines, Grapnel Launchers, Grav Chutes; Sergeant w/ Bolt Carbine and Combat Knife [ 110 pts]

++ Total: [ 750 Points ] ++

* Model has an Onslaught Gatling Cannon, not a Heavy Flamer. I have sinned against the great god Wysiwyg!

2 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Sounds like awards too... Do I need to be mean in this? Can I just have fun and not always run 25 lootas and Grot shields 😛

I tease. Though it can happen 

I love the attitude! I can’t really answer your question though...after all, this is Ordo so bringing softer lists is normal. However, I’ll let @Dark Trainer decide as he’s handling the in game stuff. I’m just helping organize.

9 minutes ago, Weav said:

I love the attitude! I can’t really answer your question though...after all, this is Ordo so bringing softer lists is normal. However, I’ll let @Dark Trainer decide as he’s handling the in game stuff. I’m just helping organize.

I have a few 750 lists I want to try... A triple Dredd list, a Deathskulls Speed Freaks list with some artillery support... Yea many lists

• Like 1