WoW January 2019 40k League interest?

Dark Trainer

Are you interested in a 40k League running 2019 Jan-Feb?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a 40k League running Jan-Feb?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (only choose this if you're close to YES)
  2. 2. Are you a newer player who needs the league to start at 500pts? (fully painted not required, but preferred)

• Yes
    • Nope, i can bring 1k+
  3. 3. Would you like it to end with a tournament first Saturday of March?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 12:17 AM

15 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I have a few 750 lists I want to try... A triple Dredd list, a Deathskulls Speed Freaks list with some artillery support... Yea many lists

You can bring what you like. Don't have to bring soft lists, just bear in mind this is about having some nice games and experiment with lists. We'll try to pair up opponents for a fun game. Just bear in mind douche baggery will be nut punched 😂

22 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

You can bring what you like. Don't have to bring soft lists, just bear in mind this is about having some nice games and experiment with lists. We'll try to pair up opponents for a fun game. Just bear in mind douche baggery will be nut punched 😂

Yeah, totally agree. I was just talking about it because one of the guys had mentioned having trouble building underpowered lists.

29 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Stormsurge lacks the battlesuit keyword, so no drone protection.

If I recall correctly the latest Chapter Approved fixed that. I am most likely wrong as I haven't picked up CA2018 yet but I am pretty sure Forge the Narrative brought that up as one of the few actual dataslate changes in the book

I like the open cockpit (I'm a sucker for that design feature ever since I read Patlabor as a kid) and the over-the-shoulder Big Fukken Gun (you can blame Gundam for that). But the missile launchers in lieu of arms thing is just daft... Not only is the humanoid shape more aesthetically pleasing and a better match to all the other Tau designs, the Stormsure has no way to adjust their aim horizontally except for rotating at the waste. At least give it some stubby little T-Rex arms like Battletech's Mad Cat/Timber Wolf!

20 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

If I recall correctly the latest Chapter Approved fixed that. I am most likely wrong as I haven't picked up CA2018 yet but I am pretty sure Forge the Narrative brought that up as one of the few actual dataslate changes in the book

The Stormsurge doesn't have <BATTLESUIT> but the Ta'unar does, which is kinda weird. Maybe because of the lack of arms...

5 hours ago, Kelharis said:

Don't worry guys, I won't be able to play in the league, so no need to plan for the list I posted. Sorry I caused the escalation of lists 😄

Nah, unrelated. 

I was asking about the stormsurge because I found a site that makes bits to improve the appearance of the Stormsurge. I don't like the current model enough to field it, but that site makes me on the fence again regarding that model. 

Additionally, CA updates mean I need to buy more models for my 1500pt list.

Anyway, regarding the stormsurge, it does have offensive potency, but defensively, it's only T7 with a 3+ save and only has 20 wounds, which for a lord of war is pretty weak. Base version is about 340pts. And, as mentioned, it can't benefit from Drone suicide protection. Plus it's TAU, so no melee weapon, low attacks and WS5+. Plus it doesn't FLY, so it can't really get out of combat like the other suits would.

Maybe not at 750pts, but doesn't seem that unreasonable at 1k, honestly, but I wanted ask around just because of it's battlefield role.

Slap an Advanced Targeting System on it, and as a nice side-effect of making all your guns better, the default mêlée attacks will improve as well. Three S 8 AP -1 D 1 attacks aren't great, but it should allow you to punch at least one Assault Marine to death before you Fall Back. 

A Shield Generator will give is a 4++, which combined with its T7, makes those 20 Wounds last a good while. 

A Velocity Tracker seems like an obvious third choice, given the sheer number of things that have the Fly keyword these days.

3 hours ago, Ish said:

Slap an Advanced Targeting System on it, and as a nice side-effect of making all your guns better, the default mêlée attacks will improve as well. Three S 8 AP -1 D 1 attacks aren't great, but it should allow you to punch at least one Assault Marine to death before you Fall Back. 

A Shield Generator will give is a 4++, which combined with its T7, makes those 20 Wounds last a good while. 

A Velocity Tracker seems like an obvious third choice, given the sheer number of things that have the Fly keyword these days.

Huh, didn't occur to me that Advanced targeting System would apply to melee attacks for models without melee weapons. Still, it's +18pts, so probably not at 1k list.

Shield Generator is 40pts for the Stormsurge. At the 1k level, I'd probably not bring it. 

Velocity Tracker is certainly nice for the Stormsurge. That one pairs well with the Early Warning Override.

That said, the main auto-include is the Drone Controller, since the large base of the Stormsurge makes it cover a very impressive portion of the table. Drone controller is the same +5pts on the giant based Stormsurge that it is on any other model, so it's a good deal.

4 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Huh, didn't occur to me that Advanced targeting System would apply to melee attacks for models without melee weapons. Still, it's +18pts, so probably not at 1k list.

Yup. Per the BRB, everyone has a basic melee weapon if they don't have one listed. It's S User AP 0 and D1. Like all weapons it can be modified 

3 hours ago, Ish said:

Hmm...well the other consideration with regards to the ATS on the Stormsurge is that it has those foot spikes to get +1 to hit, but if they are planted, he can't attack back in the fight phase. Doesn't prevent him from falling back, but it would mean that in order to attempt that one dead marine, I'd be sacrificing +1 to hit...

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Hmm...well the other consideration with regards to the ATS on the Stormsurge is that it has those foot spikes to get +1 to hit, but if they are planted, he can't attack back in the fight phase. Doesn't prevent him from falling back, but it would mean that in order to attempt that one dead marine, I'd be sacrificing +1 to hit...

Unfortunately, stabilizing anchors get deployed AFTER the shooting phase, so you have to be immobile through a fight and movement phase in order to get the plus 1 to shooting.

21 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

Unfortunately, stabilizing anchors get deployed AFTER the shooting phase, so you have to be immobile through a fight and movement phase in order to get the plus 1 to shooting.

Yes, that is what I was saying. So if I wanted to use ATS to swing at the enemy, I'd be denying myself the option to have +1 to hit. 

I will note that with Early Warning Override, you could benefit from the Anchors in the enemy movement phase. It doesn't just affect shooting phase, it's any to-hit rolls. It does require them to deploy kinda stupid, but at the same time, it is their best option for a charge, for rapid fire with SM plasma guns, or to get into melta gun range - a lot of drop units rely on being able to land within 12".

And Early Warning Override stacks Anchors with the Velocity Tracker (and a good half of units that drop into battle have the FLY keyword).