Tau...

14 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Well, GW really screwed up their ability to make FW flyers viable to purchase in mass quantity.

I mean, Imperial Knight mantiple vs Tiger Shark Ax-1-0 squadron, who wins? Knights do, not because they are better or worse, but because TAU flyers auto-lose turn 1...

Only in match play right?

7 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

"...at the end of any turn after the first battle round..." There's time to try and kill everything first at least...

Does seem like the flyers should have pretty steep point discount if they only have 1 turn of operational capacity.

Anyone looked into running TAU Heavy Gun Drones? They're FW, but FW doesn't make them anymore. As far as I can tell, they're a bit wider than the gun drones, but the main visual difference is that the Heavy gun drones have 2x burst cannons instead of Pulse blasters.

The appeal to me, at present, is purely that they look easier to acquire than sniper drones, and both are cheap brigade seat-fillers.

Same site as above, but missiles on arm mounts https://www.shapeways.com/product/XYDPRUPE7/stormwave-arms-for-missiles?optionId=63324549 

Found a picture assembled on google (below)

si8g3v7xlfl01.jpg 

They also make a broadside railgun looking mount option, which I can't seem to find on a finished model via google: https://www.shapeways.com/product/TT8CEA6AD/stormwave-arms-for-two-handed-weapon?optionId=63325186 

At FW's suggestion, forwarded my question regarding TAU flyers to GW's FAQ email. I did note that the Thunderhawk and Stormbird are lords of war, so are exempt from this TAU flyer issue. It's probably an oversight. I really hope they fix it. The flyers are great looking models, but auto-losing turn 2 is unreasonable.

Another interesting find is that they FAQed the Heavy Gun Drones with the new Saviour Protocols rule. The distinction here is that the Heavy Gun Drones have 3 wounds each, so if they take a hit for another unit and instead suffer a single mortal wound, they'd still survive. Not sure if they are worthwhile and FW doesn't make them anymore, but I'm thinking I could make a pair from the Hover Platforms for my TAU Ethereals.

Last, Drone hauling Devilfish:

Okay Devil transport holds 12 infantry or drones. It can also hold 1 recon drone that doesn't count against this limit. in terms of weapon firepower, the recon drone is equal to gun drone. Furthermore, 2 drones can be mounted as "guns" and detached later in the game. So the Devilfish can effectively hold 15 gun drones.

15x Gun Drones have 60x S5 shots. Ignoring the cost of the pathfinders required for recon drone, such a unit is 222pts (with transport).

And on that note, the other interesting thing regarding Heavy Gun Drones is that they don't take up any more transport space than regular gun drones in the Devilfish. So could technically include 12 heavy gun drones, 1 recon drone and 2 gun drones in a Devilfish.

12x heavy gun drones, 2x gun drones, and 1x recon drone is 108 S5 shots. Ignoring the cost of the pathfinders required for recon drone, such a unit would be a rather ridiculous 510pts (with transport).

Unlikely to be effective, but... amusing that I can get the brigade in 750pts:

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (T'au Empire) [40 PL, 749pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 25pts]: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 40pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

+ Heavy Support +

MV71 Sniper Drones [3 PL, 54pts]: 3x MV71 Sniper Drone

++ Total: [40 PL, 749pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Bugs me that the main reason to field the Piranha is that it's cheapest Seeker Missile mount and the kit doesn't include any seeker missiles...

Well, the Remora Stealth Drones are a cheaper seeker missile mount, but they don't occupy any required slots in the brigade. They are Flyers.

I'm all over on tau topics...

Back to the Storm Surge modifications. Cost is crazy high. ~$75 to get all the upgrades I'd want for that stormsurge, plus the base $150 for the inital model, so $225 each. Granted, could get some discounts on the base model, so maybe $200.

That said, the main body for that FW TAU mech is $200. 2x Arms and top weapon would be another ~$200, but I could buy it in pieces to make the cost more reasonable for my budget. Hmm.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/KX139-Ta'unar-Supremacy-Armour-Body

Definitely not welcome in the escalation league...

24 minutes ago, Ish said:

Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out how to fit a Thunderhawk into the household budget...

What about some sort of timeshare with some other 40k nerds?

Do you really need it for more than 3 months a year?

My main obstacle regarding the big models is transportation, since I don't drive.

That Manta, for example, I don't think I could get it to a hobby shop...So even if I could justify the cost, I can't really use it. But that makes it easier to not waste 2k on a model, so that's good.

Thinking about those Sunshark Bombers. Markerlight is a heavy weapon. So it's BS5+....That said, if the target already has 4x markers on it, we ignore the penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons.

So I think the key with this model is that it fires it's markerlight AFTER the other markerlights in the army have been fired.

Furthermore, I think all of the weapons on this guy, aside from the drones, are really iffy weapons. I think the trick to this model is in keeping it an ignorable target. Turn 1, I need to detach the drones, and, ideally, use the seeker missiles (which are also heavy weapons...). Then it just has those Pulse bombs, a BS5+ markerlight, and 2 missile shots each turn (which are basically heavy bolter shots against most targets). Being airborne with hard to hit, and the army being wipe-able without it, yeah, should just be ignored. Or they'll waste shooting on it, and the rest of the army will be fine...