Tau...

2 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

So how many drones you taking?

With how many battlesuits?

Depends on the point level, for sure.

Drones:

Picked up my devilfish. Plan is 12x gun drones, 2x attached gun drones, and 1x recon drone in that one Transport. Not anytime soon, but I am very tempted to take this in triplicate for a 2k list.

Also planning markerdrones and shield drones for various squads, mostly markers, though I don't have an extact planned ratio.

And then I've got the 4x Interceptor Drones and the 1x Pulse Drone. 

Oh, and I'm thinking about using Ethereal Hover Drones in a conversion to make FW Heavy Drones. Unit is 2-6, so I do have enough to make 2x Heavy Drones, but doing so means no hover drones for my ethereals. 

Battlesuits:

I only own 6x Crisis suits. Presently, I have a squad of 5 Crisis Suits and a Commander. I also plan to use the squad leader for the squad of 5 as a Commander in low point games.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting more battlesuits, keeping the ones I have, altering the existing ones, or keeping them as is. 

Anyway, trying to assemble that stormsurge. I don't normally have issues with GW kits. One of the first steps requires a part not shown well for the groin area. The part is #154. Set includes 3 sprues, with each sprue covering about 50 parts, numerically ordered (So the first sprue has parts #1-50, and so forth).

After giving up, and coming back to it the next day, and then searching again. Part #154 is actually on the sprue with parts #50-100.... (if you are also having trouble, it's in the "leg" sprue, centered between #59, #65, #85, and what I'm pretty sure is #71).

GW kits are normally so much easier than this.

I ran into a weird problem (for a GW kit) when building my Hellblasters: there were parts that were not labeled in the instructions. It was quite clear that they were a specific part to be used and the instructions were otherwise very easy to follow... Except they didn’t label which plasma hose bit on the sprue went with which gun and arm combination! 

I figured out, through test fitting trial and error, that the “trick” was that the part was sort of sequential. Gun #62 went with hose #63 and #64, or something like that... A real pain in the tuchus.

Good news is that I don’t see myself needing anymore Heavy Plasma Incinerator Hellblasters past this first squad of ten. If and when I get around to adding a second squad of ten, I’m leaning towards standard Plasma Incinerators... and they don’t have the extra power hose bit. Heck, they’re even available in the Starter Set as easy-to-build models!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Explain your reasoning.

Burstcannons guarantee 8 shots, at the same range as airburst (average 7, less 50% of the time)and almost nothing is out of LOS of A stormsurge at 18".  Why take str 4 when you can have str 5?  I have 12 Sniper Drones who hit on 2, re-roll 1's IF Markerlit using the Drone Controller.  Shield is obvious.  ATS gives all those otherwise mundane Str 5 shots bite, and it matters of course, especially if they are also ignoring cover w Markerlights (and Smart Missiles already do).  The shotgun is saweeeet from 10-20" in particular and any enemy who wishes to stay away and shoot it out w me is welcome to try of course...  but Stormsurges move.  So its very powerful at the ranges T'au Empire is most exposed to danger at.  Screens hold deep strikes away and at the perfect range.

Did you know the hammerhead doesn't include gun drones anymore?

Website sure says it does, but I bought one and it doesn't have them and GW's customer service acted like I was crazy to expect the product to include them. And I definitely have the same box as pictured on their site.

30 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Did you know the hammerhead doesn't include gun drones anymore?

Website sure says it does, but I bought one and it doesn't have them and GW's customer service acted like I was crazy to expect the product to include them. And I definitely have the same box as pictured on their site.

So GW's customer service, which used to be very nice, but they were very unpleasant on this one, inform me that the web site is referring to the burst cannons and SMS mounts as "gun drones" and because the included instructions do not give instructions for gun drones, that it my error to assume that kit includes actual gun drones.

Yeah, just for the heck of it, I called them too. Pretended to be a clueless parent who  didn’t know how the game works, got told that the two turrets at the front of the tank were the Gun Drones referred to...

He even tried to tell me that the name Gun Drone wasn’t capitalized on the website (he quickly backpedalled on that point when I asked him to actually read it).

Seems like the GW of the Nineties would’ve just popped a drone sprue in the mailbox, no questions asked. 

• Like 1

Pretre replied on facebook mentioning that I guess the original Hammerhead kit didn't include gun drones and they didn't used to be an option for that unit. I recall otherwise, but I don't really want to debate it and it is true that my memory, especially longterm, isn't always accurate.

1 minute ago, Ish said:

Yeah, just for the heck of it, I called them too. Pretended to be a clueless parent who  didn’t know how the game works, got told that the two turrets at the front of the tank were the Gun Drones referred to...

He even tried to tell me that the name Gun Drone wasn’t capitalized on the website (he quickly backpedalled on that point when I asked him to actually read it).

Seems like the GW of the Nineties would’ve just popped a drone sprue in the mailbox, no questions asked. 

That's the GW customer service I remember.

This guy required photo documentation of the entire kit as well as receipt, before they would even consider it.

As I said on FB, the HH kit has never had gun drones that I know of. The description on the website is wrong and should be updated, which I would ask them to do by CS E-mail if you care about the issue.

And the GW of the 90's was all about fixing messed up kits. This kit is correct; the website is wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe the curt attitude is just a Post-Christmas Rush thing.

I don’t want to sound like Pollyanna, but GW’s Customer Service has always gone  above and beyond for me so many times in the past twenty-five plus years — for crissakes I still have their phone number memorized! — that they have built up a lot of good will from me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ish said:

I don’t want to sound like Pollyanna, but GW’s Customer Service has always gone  above and beyond for me so many times in the past twenty-five plus years — for crissakes I still have their phone number memorized! — that they have built up a lot of good will from me.

Yeah, I completely agree. Bothers me greatly to have to now question the contents of every kit's product description.

And they could have avoided the entire issue if they had just posted the sprues, like they do for the new kits.

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

Maybe the curt attitude is just a Post-Christmas Rush thing.

Or one bad rep or the person calling put the person off somehow and elicited a less than perfect reaction.

1 minute ago, pretre said:

Or one bad rep or the person calling put the person off somehow and elicited a less than perfect reaction.

Yeah, I don't know.

I certainly didn't expect it to be an issue.

10 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Burstcannons guarantee 8 shots, at the same range as airburst (average 7, less 50% of the time)and almost nothing is out of LOS of A stormsurge at 18".  Why take str 4 when you can have str 5?  I have 12 Sniper Drones who hit on 2, re-roll 1's IF Markerlit using the Drone Controller.  Shield is obvious.  ATS gives all those otherwise mundane Str 5 shots bite, and it matters of course, especially if they are also ignoring cover w Markerlights (and Smart Missiles already do).  The shotgun is saweeeet from 10-20" in particular and any enemy who wishes to stay away and shoot it out w me is welcome to try of course...  but Stormsurges move.  So its very powerful at the ranges T'au Empire is most exposed to danger at.  Screens hold deep strikes away and at the perfect range.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking it was a bad loadout, but sometimes others see things I don't see, so it's useful to know why they do things. 

So on my end of reasoning with the various upgrades:

Regarding burst cannons, I was never considering the Airbursts on this model, I mentioned them because I want their bits for other models. I'm torn between the flamers and burst cannons. Flamers got a point reduction, so are the cheaper option. And auto-hit makes people reconsider charges.

Definitely like the Drone Controller upgrade.

Shield I'm torn on. It's +40pts to already expensive model. For SM this would be an easy buy, but TAU have lots of really cheap stuff, and ultimately, most things are a glass cannon. So still on the fence here.

So the Shotgun (Pulse Blastcannon) is a tough one because I'm running Dal'yth. I agree, it does seem like the better choice, but it encourages me to move, and moving means lower armor saves for Dal'yth. It does reliably have more shots than the the other option and has similar range to it's other weapons.

Advanced targeting system is one I'm not really liking. I mean, extra -1 ap on all weapons is a neat extra, but it depends on the opponent. For example the Pulse Driver is already -3 ap. Making it -4 ap will really only matter against models with a 2+ save that don't also have a better invulnerable save. The destroyer missiles don't benefit from it. All the other weapons on the Stormsurge are -0 ap base, so improving them is like deny orks their t-shirts and it really matter much in my eyes. Seems like the weapon it would really matter on is the Pulse Blastcannon, as it has a variable ap.

The Early Warning system appeals, especially paired with the pulse blastcannon.

The velocity tracker seems like a decent idea. 

Multitracker seems like it's merit is only if don't field markerlights.

Target lock is mostly useless due to the Walking battleship rule

Counterfire defense system seems iffy, but could have merit just due to the sheer volume of shots on the stormsurge.

Pulse driver Cannon is a weird one, and frankly rather lackluster for such an expensive model. But that said, if I stick with Dal'yth and don't move, it is the weapon with the most range.