Tau...

45 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

They didn't when I was there like 6 months ago... but that was 6 months ago.

Well, that reddit post was from a year ago. I've still never been to Rune and Board on a day when it was open...

I think I'm just going to convert something up. I'm just unwilling to wait a month to get something at too high a price (if buying the gundam for only their arms, yeah, expensive).

I really like this model: https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Tieren-Ground-Type-Model/dp/B0018P09RK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1546369157&sr=1-1&keywords=1%2F100+tieren 

It's out of production, so Amazon has these double price, plus a month of shipping. Still, it's the best fit I've seen for TAU and the stormsurge in particular.

3 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Been doing that since 1... So many orks... So much green

Yeah, mine are green too. Millitary Green. Not sure I like the color, but it is different and I've been wanting to try different styles of painting. 

7 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Yeah, mine are green too. Millitary Green. Not sure I like the color, but it is different and I've been wanting to try different styles of painting. 

Eh.... It starts green... Then a yellow dry brush.... Followed by a bright green lighter drybursh... So much to do. 

52 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Rust-Oleum® Specialty Camouflage Spray Army Green. Ask for it by name, accept no substitutes! 

Game night tonight at GG. Going to try to get the TAU into a state where they can be fielded at 2k. Won't be 100% assembled, but I think I can get them close enough.

Regarding the stormsurge, decided that my main objection to the arm weapons is actually in how they are positioned, not in them having actual arms or not. So I sawed and rearraged the two missile mounts so the destroyer missiles are all on one side, and the cluster missiles all on the other side. Does look a little better, end result should look kinda mech warrior. Legs might be a problem, I kinda feel like the knees should bend the other direction (like the AM sentinel kit's legs).

2k Escalated List

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [78 PL, 1269pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Dal'yth Sept

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 174pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, XV8-02 Crisis Iridium battlesuit

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [24 PL, 243pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Missile pod, Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'vre: Early warning override, 2x Plasma rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 100pts]: MB3 Recon Drone
. 7x Pathfinder: 7x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight
. 2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 2x Ion rifle

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 120pts]: 12x MV1 Gun Drone

+ Flyer +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 148pts]: Markerlight, Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 148pts]: Markerlight, Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [6 PL, 108pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, 609pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 127pts]: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

+ Lord of War +

KV128 Stormsurge [20 PL, 392pts]: 2x Flamer, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Drone controller, Early warning override, Pulse driver cannon, Shield generator, 2x Smart missile system

++ Total: [116 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Got a game in.

Let's see, opponent was perfect. They played Black Legion CSM, so I was very familiar with their army. They had a very nicely painted army and were very organized. I, on the other hand, was very disorganized and basically a noob for TAU. Despite this difference they were very patient and I was very thankful for such an opponent. We only got to turn 3 before he had to go. He said I was winning at that point, but I told him to count it as his victory so we did that. I was just happy to get my army on the table. 

As for the mission, I really didn't try to understand the mission. Something ITC. I barely used any stratagems. Never did pick a warlord trait for my warlord. I was swamped with options. The order of actions mattered a lot. And the units I had kept doing things that weren't expected.

For example, my Gunrig didn't miss all game - It was amazing. The Stormsurge's Pulse Driver missed every turn except on overwatch. One of my Ethereals killed two CSM in melee, then made his saves against the return swings. 

Destroyer missiles proved great against Rubrik marines. On the other hand, I learned that the stormsurge lacks the "for the greater good" rule, but only after I deployed it.

Photon Grenades proved awesome in overwatch. 

I did run into a challenge where I couldn't put markers on a target I needed marked because the target was a character with closer enemy models. So I had to waste shooting on the closer target, then marker, then shoot the intended character. 

List didn't have enough anti-tank, or rather, it had it, but not enough that could be devoted to light tanks. Opponent had one Rhino that I basically had to ignore all game because I couldn't aford to waste AT weapons on it. 

6 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Got a game in.

Let's see, opponent was perfect. They played Black Legion CSM, so I was very familiar with their army. They had a very nicely painted army and were very organized. I, on the other hand, was very disorganized and basically a noob for TAU. Despite this difference they were very patient and I was very thankful for such an opponent. We only got to turn 3 before he had to go. He said I was winning at that point, but I told him to count it as his victory so we did that. I was just happy to get my army on the table. 

As for the mission, I really didn't try to understand the mission. Something ITC. I barely used any stratagems. Never did pick a warlord trait for my warlord. I was swamped with options. The order of actions mattered a lot. And the units I had kept doing things that weren't expected.

For example, my Gunrig didn't miss all game - It was amazing. The Stormsurge's Pulse Driver missed every turn except on overwatch. One of my Ethereals killed two CSM in melee, then made his saves against the return swings. 

Destroyer missiles proved great against Rubrik marines. On the other hand, I learned that the stormsurge lacks the "for the greater good" rule, but only after I deployed it.

Photon Grenades proved awesome in overwatch. 

I did run into a challenge where I couldn't put markers on a target I needed marked because the target was a character with closer enemy models. So I had to waste shooting on the closer target, then marker, then shoot the intended character. 

List didn't have enough anti-tank, or rather, it had it, but not enough that could be devoted to light tanks. Opponent had one Rhino that I basically had to ignore all game because I couldn't aford to waste AT weapons on it. 

If you want games just ask. I need more ork experience so always happy to get shot off the table by tau

2 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

If you want games just ask. I need more ork experience so always happy to get shot off the table by tau

Any chance you'd be down for 500pts of pre-escalation league practice on Sunday at WOW?

Oh, those Sunshark Bombers were amazing last game. None of their shooting attacks were very useful, but those pulse bombs were incredible. I mean, they'd only kill a couple models in a unit, but they're mortal wounds and they don't need to roll to hit. So opponent would cast a -1 to hot psychic power on nurgle bikers and the bomber could fly over and kill a bike without penalties to hit. Finished off the Rubrik Marine unit with these too. 

Interceptor Drones were cool too. Though I found it amusing that their overcharged ion rifles seem to get same number of shots as their regular shooting, despite the overcharge being heavy d3 and the regular being rapid 1.

Sept-wise, Dal'yth's Cover was definitely very annoying for my opponent. Firewarriors with 3+ saves were awesome. Getting 3+ armor on the bombers against opponent's alpha stike was also very awesome. Though it became apparent that I need to get tokens to signify which models have moved, as movement in my turn matters for the opponent's turn and I don't always remember. 

On that note, really need to get the drones marked by squad, and more so, marked by slot, as they count as the same slot as they were attached to. So missions where opponent hunts heavy slots, Gun Drones detached from Hammerheads are heavy Slots. Movement Trays for Detached drones is probably the solution. Little 2-man trays to keep them in squad and marked by slot. 

6 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Sept-wise, Dal'yth's Cover was definitely very annoying for my opponent. Firewarriors with 3+ saves were awesome. Getting 3+ armor on the bombers against opponent's alpha stike was also very awesome. Though it became apparent that I need to get tokens to signify which models have moved, as movement in my turn matters for the opponent's turn and I don't always remember. 

On that note, really need to get the drones marked by squad, and more so, marked by slot, as they count as the same slot as they were attached to. So missions where opponent hunts heavy slots, Gun Drones detached from Hammerheads are heavy Slots. Movement Trays for Detached drones is probably the solution. Little 2-man trays to keep them in squad and marked by slot. 

I could bring some of the Kill Team tokens I 3d printed for movement. 

On 12/31/2018 at 11:25 PM, Lord Hanaur said:

In reality youll be moving the stormsurge once if at all in 90% of your games.  Flamers wont come up much either because there should be little chance that you'll allow anyone that close.  Its just so easy to avoid it.  Flamers only EVER advantage you on overwatch.  You can lose 16-24 shots worrying about overwatch.  Meh.   

So I got a game in with the stormsurge, and of course, they charged it. Survived the first charge, so then I fell back. Was really thinking about the flamer when I hit on 5s due to sustained damage. I also caught myself wishing for Counterfire Defense System to re-roll my overwatch (though the flamers would not benefit from this one). 

I did get a chance to test melee swinging. Completely worthless in melee. Those anchors take away nothing by making me unable to swing in melee. 5s to hit, at most 3 attacks, no ap, 1 damage each. ATS would not make this viable. 

Early Warning Override proved iffy. Opponent Deep Striked with Terminators and most of the stormsurge's weapons can't deny Armor (ATS, which was a good suggestion by you, would have minorly helped). 

Drone Controller proved also to be iffy, just because I need the drones elsewhere and this guy benefited greatly from not moving.

Shield Generator was Great. You were totally right to suggest it. Would have died much sooner without it, though a chunk of my opponent's difficulty was being unable to wound with melta guns....kept rolling 1s and 2s to wound with just those weapons. 

I'm thinking I need an Ethereal and a dedicated breacher squad (or maybe kroot?) to guard my Stormsurge. But then I just put them in a distant corner or something, as the stormsurge isn't really a team player for the TAU, but does draw the enemy. So put it in some objectiveless corner and use it as a decoy that they can't afford to ignore. 

order of fire matters quite a bit for Tau, as you mentioned Paxmiles.

For my force, I always start with the Cadre Fireblades.  They hit on 2's and can then use their strategem for one of them to turn a markerlight into D3+1 markerlights.  What this does for me is that by the time the Fireblades have finished firing I have 4-5 Markerlights on one target.

If i only got 4, then I use the Firesight Marksmen next which hit on 3's, re-rolling 1's at that point.  That gets me to 5.  Alternatively I might get lucky and be able to use them for target number 2 if the Cadres roll hot.

I then select the second target I want to delete.  I hit them with the 6 Markerdrones (rolling one die at a time untilI get to my Re-roll 1's).  That usually gets me to 3-4 Markerlights on target 2.  That forces me to fire my Pathfinders next

The first Pathfinders usually split their fire, four shots on Target 2 (gotta make sure!) andf 3 at another less important target, usually the one i want to fire my Destroyer Missiles at.  The RailGuns fire at whatevr makes the most sense but probably one of the already Markerlit units.  

That progression usually obviates the rest of the phase:  Kill the two units, and begin the chipping on the third unit with Destroyer missiles and the like.At the end of the first round of firing its hoped that the three most dangerous things on the board will be combat ineffective by the end of it.  I have more Markerlights to fire in case i prematurely kill a target and need more help firing on the third or a 4th.