White Dwarf Changes!

pretre

Posted 23/12/2018

White Dwarf 2019: The Magazine You Asked For

WhiteDwarf-Dec23-Header3mu.jpg

That’s right, folks – 2019 will herald the arrival of a new-look White Dwarf.

We’ve been listening to your feedback and have taken everything on board, redesigning the magazine to give you more of what you’ve asked for. This includes new rules and background as well as guest columns.

Well, starting from January’s issue, you’ll be treated to an extravaganza of all this and more, including new rules for Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Skirmish, new fiction and even a new Faction for Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team!

We’re so excited about what the new White Dwarf has to offer that we created a video all about it:

Of course, not everything is new – White Dwarf will still feature many of your favourite regular articles, such as Readers’ Models (including our Reader’s Model of the Month), Contact (with Ask Grombrindal), Illuminations, Golden Demon winners, army showcases, Battle Reports and more besides. It’s the essential magazine for hobbyists of every persuasion and experience level.

Here’s the cover of January’s issue, complete with hints about what you’ll find within its pages:

WhiteDwarf-Dec23-Covers1db.jpg

Subscribers of White Dwarf will also notice another perk beyond receiving their copy a few days early – their magazines have an exclusive cover! One for collectors everywhere, you’ll be able to see the full-cover art of each issue in all its glory. Even the White Dwarf logo itself is applied as a transparent gloss layer to ensure full visibility of the artwork. Behold its magnificence…

WhiteDwarf-Dec23-Covers2ly.jpg

If you’re as excited as us about what lies in store for the ultimate Warhammer magazine, now is the best time to subscribe to ensure you gain the full benefits right from the start. Head here to subscribe and January’s issue will be on its way before you even know it! We’ve got some more specific previews to come next week, so keep an eye out for more details soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pretre said:

We’ve been listening to your feedback and have taken everything on board, redesigning the magazine to give you more of what you’ve asked for

Oh? You mean your going to return White Dwarf to its roots as a magazine dedicated to the complete warhaming hobby and related hobbies like roleplaying games? Saga, Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars, Bolt Action!? It won’t just be an entirely in-house advertising gimmick for Games Workshop’s products!? 

Ah, I see... You didn’t actually listen to my feedback and won’t be giving me more (or any) of what I asked for.

There’s a reason I unsubscribed in the Mid-Nineties and haven’t bought an issue off the racks since 2003... Lack of glossy cover art was not it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Oh? You mean your going to return White Dwarf to its roots as a magazine dedicated to the complete warhaming hobby and related hobbies like roleplaying games? Saga, Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars, Bolt Action!? It won’t just be an entirely in-house advertising gimmick for Games Workshop’s products!? 

Ah, I see... You didn’t actually listen to my feedback and won’t be giving me more (or any) of what I asked for.

There’s a reason I unsubscribed in the Mid-Nineties and haven’t bought an issue off the racks since 2003... Lack of glossy cover art was not it.

You know when a webpage uses the word 'you' it isn't speaking directly to you, but to the larger customer base, right? 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Yeah, I don't really feel listened to either.

I'm still not clear where to post things so that GW will read it for FAQs or errata. They haven't really advertised where you have to stand so they can hear you...

Generally speaking, I find they reply to questions or concerns posted to them on Facebook. Nothing to the level of an official Erratum or anything, but at least some kind of clarification... They also seem to use Facebook questions as sources for future FAQs.

(And sometimes Duncan will even show a Facebook commenter how to properly apply two thin coats to a mini to accomplish a given effect or scheme.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ish said:

Generally speaking, I find they reply to questions or concerns posted to them on Facebook. Nothing to the level of an official Erratum or anything, but at least some kind of clarification... They also seem to use Facebook questions as sources for future FAQs.

(And sometimes Duncan will even show a Facebook commenter how to properly apply two thin coats to a mini to accomplish a given effect or scheme.)

any particular part of facebook?

They seem to be most actively involved on their official Warhammer 40,000 Facebook profile... But that could just be because the  fans are more active with it than they are on the other profiles.

It’s not like you’re going to be able to PM Matt Ward or Jervis Johnson and ask them rules questions or anything. But, hey, if you’re on Facebook anyway, why not throw them a Subscribe click? 

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

It’s not like you’re going to be able to PM Matt Ward or Jervis Johnson and ask them rules questions or anything. But, hey, if you’re on Facebook anyway, why not throw them a Subscribe click? 

You could set up a bot that could respond to rules questions like Jervis pretty easily, tho. "Roll a dice* for it."

*I feel dirty after typing that, but I felt it was important for verisimilitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As much love as I have for Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestly, and Andy Chambers, none of those guys ever seemed to catch on to the idea that there were people playing their games as organized competitions. They pretty much wrote and designed games with a “standing around in your shed, having a pint with your buddies” mindset firmly in place.

Which is fine by me, since that’s my preference for gaming too. But I suspect it’s why so many people getting into the hobby these days (especially if they have a MtG or e-sports history) find it completely alien to consider Open Play or Natrative Play. Even just reading old rulebooks, which were much more open and permissive, can seem strange.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ish said:

A Kroot Kill Team Team!? Huh, maybe they are going to make the magazine useful again...

I was wondering how they were going to do this. Hmmmm we could even see mini codex in these for things like Kroot Formations/factions or other such things... Would be nice. I might even subscribe then

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

As much love as I have for Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestly, and Andy Chambers, none of those guys ever seemed to catch on to the idea that there were people playing their games as organized competitions. They pretty much wrote and designed games with a “standing around in your shed, having a pint with your buddies” mindset firmly in place.

Which is fine by me, since that’s my preference for gaming too. But I suspect it’s why so many people getting into the hobby these days (especially if they have a MtG or e-sports history) find it completely alien to consider Open Play or Natrative Play. Even just reading old rulebooks, which were much more open and permissive, can seem strange.

Sad but true... Dropfleet Commander exemplifies this for Andy Chambers... /sigh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pretre said:

I'm not sure how we got to this point but it was an interesting diversion.

Sigh. Let me walk you through it one more time... It really isn't that hard to understand.... Maybe you should take notes... Unless there is a reason you don't want to understand!? 

Screen_Shot_2014-05-19_at_10.28.10_AM_t6

• Haha 1