I Like Tanks!

Ish

Just now, Lyraeus said:

Have you played it? 

Nope. I have heard good things about it, so don't take my musings as any sort of criticism of the game itself. Take them as something more akin to "Yes, I've heard that new Italian restaurant is good, but I'm in the mood for Thai." 

5 minutes ago, Ish said:

Nope. I have heard good things about it, so don't take my musings as any sort of criticism of the game itself. Take them as something more akin to "Yes, I've heard that new Italian restaurant is good, but I'm in the mood for Thai." 

Want to try it out? I have 2 full Maniples

Was talking with one of the Flames of War guys that's always at GG on saturday. Apparently he's also a big Adeticus Titanicus player. He's got a regular opponent somewhere in oregon city.

He answered several questions I had about the game. I'm tempted, though I don't think I'll be buying in anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Was talking with one of the Flames of War guys that's always at GG on saturday. Apparently he's also a big Adeticus Titanicus player. He's got a regular opponent somewhere in oregon city.

He answered several questions I had about the game. I'm tempted, though I don't think I'll be buying in anytime soon.

Heh... I think I know who that is... I was likely the guy who got him into AT... Maybe

Want a rest game? Takes about a hour or so. Small 1 of each titan

12 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Heh... I think I know who that is... I was likely the guy who got him into AT... Maybe

Older guy, has a mustashe. Very long winded, but I was asking. Good ability to recall information. 

I believe he said he played the older version of adepticus titanicus when it was new, but he may have just been referencing the old material, I don't recall.

19 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Older guy, has a mustashe. Very long winded, but I was asking. Good ability to recall information. 

I believe he said he played the older version of adepticus titanicus when it was new, but he may have just been referencing the old material, I don't recall.

Yup. I did his demo game at Geeks and Games and got him in. Enthusiasm is a big seller. 

Flipping through the rule-book, I'm rather taken with the idea of a Venator Light Maniple. A couple packs of Warhounds running around the map, taking pot-shots at the enemy's "big guy" Titans from oblique angels while my sole "big guy" rains down opportunistic shots from extreme range just sound delightful.

Kinda reminds me of my junior high Battletech days, using Locusts to harass the enemy and spot for my Catapults. Good times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ish said:

Flipping through the rule-book, I'm rather taken with the idea of a Venator Light Maniple. A couple packs of Warhounds running around the map, taking pot-shots at the enemy's "big guy" Titans from oblique angels while my sole "big guy" rains down opportunistic shots from extreme range just sound delightful.

Kinda reminds me of my junior high Battletech days, using Locusts to harass the enemy and spot for my Catapults. Good times.

It's my favorite Maniple. It's good at getting in and duking it out and a squadron of warhounds for the plus strength attacks. 

2 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

@Ish What about whirlwinds? They seem fun in a sm tank type list.

Probably one of my favorite vehicles in the Space Marine motor pool, to be honest. I ran one or two with my Dark Angels for 5th and 6th Edition, despite the "collective wisdom" of the Internet telling me they were rubbish and they never disappointed me. I sold that army off to a friend year ago, but odds are good a Whirlwind or three will end up in my collection sooner or later.

Artillery and Imperial Fists just feel so fluffy together... 

And that Legion Basilisk is really sexy...

5 minutes ago, Ish said:

Probably one of my favorite vehicles in the Space Marine motor pool, to be honest. I ran one or two with my Dark Angels for 5th and 6th Edition, despite the "collective wisdom" of the Internet telling me they were rubbish and they never disappointed me. I sold that army off to a friend year ago, but odds are good a Whirlwind or three will end up in my collection sooner or later.

Artillery and Imperial Fists just feel so fluffy together... 

And that Legion Basilisk is really sexy...

Get them!

I also really like the scorpius one too...

56 minutes ago, Ish said:

Gotta waste my money on stupid things like “rent,” “heat,” and “feeding my children.” 

Are you asking for tanks?

Or did you mean that in a venting capacity?

2 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

There is almost zero interest in my area for AT but I really want the models.

Like I almost want to make some sort of counts as army using knights as marines and warhound on up as dreads.

@Ish What about whirlwinds? They seem fun in a sm tank type list.

Only way to get interest I think is to show it off and demo... 

As an aside, if you want cheap SM tanks and you know how the kits fit together already, I recommend rhino chassis tanks bought in bits and then the top turret converted up/acquired elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.9c87a2f7d3be648c4b4775f93d00b0c2.png

https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Warhammer 40k&cat3=-Blood Angels&cat4=>BA Baal Predator&page=&view=03132013-1-2

image.thumb.png.414edb775babb84212861884d8945dae.png

https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Warhammer 40k&cat3=-Blood Angels&cat4=>BA Baal Predator&page=&view=03132013-1-6

Together, $14.38 (plus shipping) for the main Rhino Chassis bits, brand new. Easy enough to convert these into a pred, vindicator, whirly, rhino, or razor.

image.thumb.png.854b287e46fc93a0509da9127466c38e.png

https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Warhammer 40k&cat3=-Space Marines&cat4=>SM Land Raider Crusader&page=&view=04022013-4-13

image.thumb.png.bdbb643d49b24c2235d11ac0df736dea.png

https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Warhammer 40k&cat3=-Chaos Space Marines&cat4=>CSM Land Raider&page=&view=02132013-2-4

Together, $35.98 (plus shipping) for the main Land Raider chassis bits. Sponsons and hull weapon can be converted, bought as a sprue, traded for, or found in a bits bin.

I like this site and have bought from them in the past, but their prices are weird. They have this and an ebay store (same name), with sometimes different prices and varied inventory. Then they also list bits per kit, rather than grouping identical parts. So I linked the cheapest versions of the rhino and LR chasis with the most inventory in stock of each. Prices tend to be extreme on certain popular parts, and very reasonable on less popular parts (like the above).

4 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

I do own some land raider sponsons so I couldn't make one for about 35 ish.

I feel like the "couldn't" is meant to be a "could", that or the "do" is meant to be a "don't."

Otherwise, not really sure why having the sponsons would make this harder... Regarding cost, the above land raider is more like $41-ish, as it's $35.98 for the models and $4-5 shipping. Though the shipping cost doesn't increase by much if you buy 2 or 3.

Regarding converting sponsons, lascannons are a really common extra bit for SM players. Redeemer would be super easy, as flamers in 40k are mainly a tube, some wire, and metal mesh. Getting 6 bolters for crusader sponsons would also be pretty simple. And they don't need to look exactly like the GW one - the goal is more that it looks like you bought a full $80-ish land raider and decided to make more festive sponsons (because you are *obviously* crazy wealthy and have the cash to burn on a full kit that's only a piece of your converted unit).

It would be more challenging to get the Hull Grav bits for the Land Raider Excelsior, but you might be able to get those as extras from a centurion kit.