Genestealer Cult in Progress

fingolfen

So since my last blog entry was a little light on details, I decided to go into the nitty gritty of getting the Cult Baneblade together and painted in the most recent installment. It's a simple green baneblade, that used:

3 colors of primer

Over 26 colors of paint + two pigments

At least four different washes

Full details (including the epic paint chart below) at the blog!  

https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2019/10/genestealer-cult-baneblade-in-detail.html#more

BB%2B-%2Bcolor%2Blist.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only found out about the Armies on Parade event a couple of months ago, so I sort of had to get the base work in high gear. Ended up going with the Cityscape Genatorium Sector as most of the base with a few extra bits added. While I didn't medal, I did take "Best Painted" - so overall I'm happy!

aop%2B-%2Bcult%2B2019%2B-%2Bfront%2Bview

Front view - Iconward hoisting the colors over the Imperial Building loosely inspired by the Soviet flag raising over the Reichstag in 1945

Another view:

aop%2B-%2Bcult%2B2019%2B-%2Bside%2Bview.

More at the blog: https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2019/10/armies-on-parade-uprising.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

More cult goodness!  Finally got the Nexos completed along with the standard bearer for one of the Command Squads for the Brood Brothers detachment!

No photo description available.

The Nexos is one of the nicest miniatures I've put together. Fit is awesome, design is awesome. I build and painted it in pieces to get it just right

The Standard bearer took some work as I had to file out all of the detail on the flag, but I'm happy with the end result

I'd been hoping to get both of these done for Armies on Parade, but hey - better late than never!  Lots more on the table... watch this space!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So the Genestealer Cult boards have been really a hot bed of conversions and kitbashes lately. One of the users posted a great conversion of the Kroot from Blackstone Fortress and I was inspired to make my own. I'm working on getting some better photos as this one just doesn't do it justice, but I've just about finished up my sniper Sanctus including a servo skull as familiar...

sanctus%2B-%2Bfront%2Bview.jpg

Some high level details on the conversion:

sanctus%2B-%2Bfront%2Bview%2B-%2Bannotat

More at the blog: https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2019/11/genestealer-cult-converted-sanctus.html#more

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

How about some post-Christmas fun for everyone?  Neophyte Hybrid squad converted from Cawdor Gangers... with some help and donations from Forgeworld, the Neophyte box, and the Cult upgrade sprue...

Image may contain: shoes

These guys took quite a bit to get painted up right, but I really like the final result.

More at the blog:  https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2019/12/genestealer-cult-neophyte-hybrid.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Nice to see someone remembering that the chittering, all-conquering ever-hungry swarm is the reason for the season.

Too many of today’s youth thing the holiday is all about empty consumerism and not existential horror from beyond the stars.

*ROTFLMAO*  Thanks much!  😄

I also got this little festive guy done - not cultist... that we know of... he *is* wearing a hat after all. It's for the Warhammer Store Red Gobbo painting competition tomorrow...

red+gobbo+1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the motor pool... 

Sadly the Astra Militarum Rapier has wandered off of the Forge World site (though the Space Marine versions are still there), but I managed to snag one before they ran away and painted it up in proper livery!

More at the blog:  https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2019/12/genestealer-cult-forgeworld-rapier.html#more

rapier%2Bfront%2B2.jpg

rapier%2Brear.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fingolfen said:

Very cool! Any particular cult or theme you're going with?

To be honest, I don't have a codex or anything so don't know options. 

But I do have a bunch of Guard figures and a slew of DKoK and a slew of renegades and a bunch of Chaos, so I was originally going to make a "traitor Guard" force to compliment the Chaos force... so I suppose I could make the Cult figures' uniforms and such match so I have flexibility.

I don't even play 40k and am dusting off models to maybe start painting again in between all my other jobs/tasks.  But I reckon were I to play down the road, having the flexibility to be able to field a GSC force with a slew of "counts as" models could help.  Or vice versa, I don't know. 

I see this GSC as forming up after Chaos took a world or system or something.  They nabbed it, thus the "traitor guard" link and then went out-system to conquer more stuff.  And, as we all know that when you leave doors open the bugs can get in... ha ha.

Any advice/thoughts/ideas?

• Like 2

Years back — long before Genestealer Cultists had their own codex — I remember a design blog by a guy who made an Imperial Guard army, but took care to magnetize all the panels that had icons on them, all the command squad banners, and what not. Then he created Imperial, Chaos, and Tyranid versions of all of them.

Three armies in one! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fingolfen said:

I tend to go with mostly "purpose built" forces by and large, though I have magnetized a couple of them. Cool thing about my Brood Brothers is I could run them vanilla guard as well if I wanted to.

Just throwing it out there, since it was a really neat idea. Obviously, you’re no slouch in the modeling department... 

On the other (three) hand(s), if might not be a bad trick to have in your tool box if you add some especially large and expensive Forge World monstrosity to the list.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I can now say with absolute certainty - the Tectonic Fragdrill is the most time spent painting per point of the unit I've ever spent... EVER!!!

Here's a few "in progress" shots - hoping to get it done in the next few days...

More at the blog: https://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/2020/02/work-in-progress-tectonic-fragdrill.html

Image may contain: possible text that says '8日'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, WestRider said:

Yeah, a lot of the Sector Mechanicus stuff is just ridiculously fiddly. When someone puts in the time and effort to really do it up properly, tho, like you've done here, the result is awesome.

Thanks!!!  I'm unlikely to go to this level on everything... but it does come out pretty nicely.  One of these years when I win the lottery and can just paint full time... *lol*  😄

• Like 2