Scotty's 3d Printwerks

about your logo noodling - I work in prepress ( fixing designers work to print realistically - physically (labels or boxes).  Do you know how you will plan to have your logo used?  will you plan to print labels with it... will it go on boxes, t-shirts- hats?  embroidering or silkscreen or standard offset?  Or just business cards or advertising?  OR will it only be used on your web presence?

Knowing how you intend to use your logo... will help to inform its design. Multi color cost more when printed - special colors vs "stock ink" costs more - etc.  Having an easy to print and easy to distinguish logo is key.  Your noodling is too busy - hard to read and figure out what is going on - and none have been memorable. 

Think about the logo like a brand on livestock. It should be simple and easy to spot - and it is helpful for it to convey what you do. It doesn't have to be an all in one piece of artwork - tagline and extra text can come below or after the logo mark.

Look at the big modern logos that you know of ... none are busy - most have a one color easy version to spot - some have multi color versions but they are basic colors and registration. COKE, IBM, APPLE, Windows, Nike, Pepsi... heck even Amazon has a dick pic - recognizable for centuries to come (lol).

Point is - less is more... keep noodling - but think about how you plan on using it.

-d

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torg said:

Point is - less is more... keep noodling - but think about how you plan on using it.

-d

Just to put this out there, the only reason I'm doing this myself is I have $0 budget. Otherwise I'd have hired someone already.

So...

I know I want a flat logo, it needs to have a strong silhouette that is recognizable in one color.

I know I want to convey the concept of printing, or creating.

I know I want to convey a games concept.  

I know I want bold sans-serif typeface.

I don't want photoshop effects (drop shadow, bevels, glow, etc)

I'm only doing business cards and web presence.

The nozzle and cube theme (with variants) are what I found during research, With the cube bringing some organic negative space. The crossed swords are what I landed on to tie in some kind wargame element.

I had toyed with the nozzle as a classic gantry style crane, printing a grill helm, but dismissed that as too busy.

I'm really not trying to change the world on this, so reinventing the swoosh isn't on my radar.

• Like 2

lol - all good points to keep in your head. What about the cube being a die? either a d6 or some other polyhedron style. I am not sure a whole gantry is needed - also if your printing with resin as well as FDM it would be hard to show in a meaningful way as you say.

What about a d10... printing your helm idea? the d10 is on its point like a nozzle (with numbers or letters in perspective) ... filament printing is more identifiable... the helm is simple.. but visually a helm ... maybe unfinished (ie. being printed). Keep the type "Scotts printing" ...etc to the side or under... not over the graphic.

just brainstorming... spitballing.  

... give me a few ... I will sketch this out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...