New Kill Team!!!

Like most GW releases, I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the idea of Kill Team, but the previous rules weren't very good. I'm hoping they manage to actually improve it. I like that they're moving to the alternate activation system like Necromunda has. Looking forward to reading someone else's rulebook before I take the plunge.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Kill Team, but it wasn’t without its flaws as Sgt. Rock points out. I’m looking forward to a new iteration of it, but not exactly planning to rush out to buy expensive boxed sets to get it. Hopefully, they’re planning to release just a rulebook.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ish said:

Hopefully, they’re planning to release just a rulebook.

I suspect they will. Even for GW and their current trend of artificial scarcity, not releasing the rulebook separately after running a limited quantity of the starter box is a boneheaded thing to do, if they want people to buy and play the new game. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I suspect they will. Even for GW and their current trend of artificial scarcity, not releasing the rulebook separately after running a limited quantity of the starter box is a boneheaded thing to do, if they want people to buy and play the new game. 

I'll bet they will have an independent rule book...not much, but I'll bet anyway 😉

That said the box does have it's appeal. Dem komandos are awesome!

NewKT 5Things Jul13 Image7pc

• Like 1

So it seems they've fixed a couple of the most glaring issues from the previous edition, being that models were too fragile and it was too easy to alpha strike your opponent off the table. They've made models a lot more durable, even Guardsmen, and they've switched to an alternating activation a la Necromunda. Good start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

They have Adeptus Custodes and Sisters of Silence listed as a singular faction, which seems to imply they can be fielded together in the new rules.

image.thumb.png.0ebd8329947eba652cf2a9d996ed5138.png

that's pretty cool. scary, but cool. I think a kill team of one custondes taking on a 12 man kill team of guardsmen will be pretty funny

22 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I find it odd that they have "Imperial Guard" and "Veteran Guardsmen" as well as "Greenskins" and "Kommandos". I get that they have specific stuff in the box, but it seems weird that they're not lumping those in with the normal factions.

I here ya. especially since it seems you can take Kommandos with the Greenskins force...seems a bit redundant but we'll have to see

They might follow the WarCry model where model types that all part of the same faction in AoS are divided into multiple separate factions in WarCry, due to narrative reasons. For example, the Stormcast Vanguard and Sacrosanct Chambers are different formations within the Stormcast military structure in the fluff, so while they will work together in the sort of grand battles seen in AoS, at the level of WarCry they operate separately. 

So Space Marines might have a distinct Kill Team faction for Tenth Company Scouts and Battle Company Squads; Orks might have a faction for Kommandos and another for general purpose Boyz; and Chaos might have subfactions for each of the four Ruinous Powers; and so on and so forth...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ish said:

They might follow the WarCry model where model types that all part of the same faction in AoS are divided into multiple separate factions in WarCry, due to narrative reasons. For example, the Stormcast Vanguard and Sacrosanct Chambers are different formations within the Stormcast military structure in the fluff, so while they will work together in the sort of grand battles seen in AoS, at the level of WarCry they operate separately. 

So Space Marines might have a distinct Kill Team faction for Tenth Company Scouts and Battle Company Squads; Orks might have a faction for Kommandos and another for general purpose Boyz; and Chaos might have subfactions for each of the four Ruinous Powers; and so on and so forth...

that makes sense...don't let it go to your head 😉

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very meh over the entire thing.  I'll stick to Warcry and Necromunda at this point.

They had the opportunity to align the game with existing mechanics, (streamlined Necromunda) and they chose to give it the board game treatment.  Now it's not even a gateway to 40k.  The compendium is lousy.  Those should have been "get you by" PDFs available for download. 

• Like 1

I was figuring I’d pick up the core rulebook… But, no, I’m not going to buy a $50 rulebook, a $50 compendium, and then wait an unknown number of months (possibly years) to buy another $50 “supplement” to get the rules I should have gotten upfront.

Sorry, Gee-Dubya. I’m out.

I’ll finish the painting on the Necromunda gang and the Custodes army that I already have. I’ll probably buy the eventual next edition of those games, just because I know that no matter where life takes me there will probably be a WH40k game group around.

But, other than that? Meh. I just can’t be bothered to care anymore about their games and the constant firehouse of new products, new “supplements”, and new new new new new… There are [big bad swear word]ty Chinese  “free to play” mobile games on my iPhone that bombard me with less PREMIUM SPECIAL OFFER LIMITED RELEASE BUY NOW!!! advertising.

image.gif.17152ee9ed13833fda26f1b2ba66e7c7.gif

• Like 4