All elves are released.

Whos the best?

:biggrin:

I like the mobility and armor of the HE. They also have the best monsters out of the bunch, both phoenix, ASF griffons, dragons are all awesome. HIgh magic is also incredibly good and is a perfect lore for what the army does. Core heavy cavalry that fight in 3 ranks couldnt be a better choice coupled with fast cav and archers. They get my vote. 

PS found a game today, sorry for the quick edit. 

Yes HE are great, and so are the WE, but what you don't see being played here in Portland is the DE beatsticks at their full potential. Warlock buses with Heroes and WE hordes with a CoB are so nasty the other elves would have issues countering them. As for the mages vs sorceress it is still up in the air with me. A Darkstar with dark magic can make any player curse with frustration as much as a mage in a Phoenix Guard bunker with the World Banner.

Also wild riders are just OMG good, and I still need more games against them but I think the magic arrows are going to put the WE's in a good running too.

So it is definitely not a High Elf win yet.

I'm going with Dark Elves.  I have yet to face a HE army with my DE and be impressed with the HE performance.  Heck, if I still played Empire I would care less about their monsters.  DE have the best FC in the game right now, IMO, as a core choice.

Murderous Prowess for the DE gives them the edge over the HE.  Level on a DP with CoT is just amazing to watch in action.  You just fly around and push purple suns through your opponents army and have phenomenal protection from enemy shooting and magic.

Now, with HE and WE armies, this is the tricky part.  Eric, I think WE and HE are on equal ground here.  People just haven't figured out the WE yet.  You can do some pretty crazy things with 2 level 4 WE casters (shadow and death).  This is more so once you add the acron to the mix and start dancing a unit around the board dropping vortex's like it's hot.  Only 1 unit in a HE army is nearly immune to magic.  However, a horde of white lions doesn't move very easily when you pack a few characters in there (this takes 2 special characters).

Dark riders have access to a 4+ armor save while still retaining fast cav rules, they are M9, Repeater xbows, ASF, and Murderous prowess, pretty much perfect fast cav and all in the CORE section. Units of 10 are an investment point wise but when they are used correctly they cant be beat when compared to what else is available in that role. 

Glade riders Ambush now which is weird and unpredictable. 

Reavers dont have the armor and bows arent as good as XBOWs. The only upside to these guys is the ability to run them 2 wide and still get all the spear attacks on a charge (units of 5 or 6) and thats still MEH compared to rerolling 1s to wound.  

In the couple of games I played (HE) against my opponents DE, it was pretty apparent that DE had the advantage. All the features that made HE something special, plus murderous prowess, plus eternal hatred against HE. Still entirely possible to outplay your opponent on your own merits and HE have some great options.

I would go (in an uncomped environment)

1. Dark

2. High

3. Wood 

I would think they are all top 1/3 of all WHFB armies

Really? It's very interesting to me how many different views there are on this,

For me Darkies are a Top 3, HE are a middle of the pack and WE are in the bottom third.

Really? It's very interesting to me how many different views there are on this,

For me Darkies are a Top 3, HE are a middle of the pack and WE are in the bottom third.

Give the Woodies sometime to have the players figure them out. So far the MSU WE's appear to be fantastic. They have several ways to deal with heavy armor and hordes, best of which is running circles around them, and their magic is on par with the other elves. Rank and File WE's will not fair as we as High Elves Rank and File but that's not how Wood Elves play. They may have the best shooting in the game and catching them on your terms is going to be hard.

What are the Strengths and Weaknesses? Let's have a Wood Elf player answer that after they have had more than ten games in.

Give the Woodies sometime to have the players figure them out. So far the MSU WE's appear to be fantastic. They have several ways to deal with heavy armor and hordes, best of which is running circles around them, and their magic is on par with the other elves. Rank and File WE's will not fair as we as High Elves Rank and File but that's not how Wood Elves play. They may have the best shooting in the game and catching them on your terms is going to be hard.

What are the Strengths and Weaknesses? Let's have a Wood Elf player answer that after they have had more than ten games in.

I find it rather odd that on one hand you say "wait" and then on the other go on about how good you think they are then step back again into wondering what the strength and weaknesses are. This is an incredibly jumbled thought.

There are lot of really good WE players that have had more then ten games and things are shaking out nicely.

I guess what I was saying was that everything I have experienced watching and played against points to a solid book, though not tilting toward OP like the DE. But I don't own the book and don't play them so my experience is from a DE prospective as an observer.

So take some salt with my post. But those Wild Riders hit like a ton of bricks and they flank so easily. That is true.

WE Filth goes like.

L4 - Death, Moonstone, Mounted

BSB, Mounted HoDA

Waystalkers x2, One with Bow of Loren, one with Ruby Ring

Minimum Core of Glade Guard with True Flight Arrows

3 Units of 5 Wild Riders

Sisters Bus with Liche Bone Banner

3 War Hawk Riders (if you have points)

2 Units of 7 Waystalkers

2 Eagles

• Like 1

It's also easier to comp HE's best unit (the frost phoenix). Rarely do I ever see anyone allow HE's to field two of these. In a truely uncomped environment I believe HE are very close to the top army, DE's being right there with them (unless they are fighting HE in which case they are a step above). 

A truely nasty HE list looks something like this IMO

Lvl 4 Shadow, Book of Hoeth (please mindrazor please). 

Lvl 1 or 2 dispel caddy, High magic

2x5 reavers

Block of seaguard or spearmen or archers whatever you like

Horde of White Lions, 6+ ward from annointed whatever his name is (can also switch for phoenix guard i prefer the lions though), banner of the world dragon.

(you can also salt with the ultimate chaff unit 5x swordmasters)

2 frost phoenix

In a way all three elves share traits but play quite different. High Elves is a Rank and File army,their best builds need those big units to get the most out of their banners and ward saves. Dark Elves can play a mix of MMU and MSU relatively good but outside the CoB Horde Large Rank and File units are too cumbersome. Wood Elves are MSU all the way. They are swift and need to stay nimble.

My 2 cents.

I don't think you have played the right people and lists….. :happy:

Is that your way of telling me I need to come paste you on the table? :tongue:

I'm well aware of the power list. And that's my point. WE have one power list. One. HE have twoish and DE can make at least 3 and probably more. The less variation, the more predictable, the easier to deal with and plan for before you ever hit the table.

Remember that 20 question list about how are you going to deal with X? Catching WE was always on there. Now it's been ammended to catching WE without entirely relying on armour to do so.